What DVDs should Criterion put out?

Started by CollinBullock, March 18, 2003, 03:02:15 PM

Julke

Just tomake sure no one thinks I don't know anything about the DVD business.  I only listed the titles I thought would make great editions, knowing very well that they will never come up.

But thanks anyways for the updates.

cine

Julke, word of advice: don't be disappointed if you see a white line during "M".. thats the best Criterion could do unless they wanted to wipe out a third of the film by cropping the top out..

Just in case you had a problem with that if you purchase it.

Ravi

Quote from: CinephileJulke, word of advice: don't be disappointed if you see a white line during "M".. thats the best Criterion could do unless they wanted to wipe out a third of the film by cropping the top out..

Just in case you had a problem with that if you purchase it.

I only noticed this on a few shots, probably due to my TV's overscan.  Besides this, there are other problems with the transfer.  Too much digital video noise reduction has been applied to the image, causing blurring of the image when things move or the camera moves.  It also causes some double images, if, for example, a character turns his head.

Julke

MacGuffin

Quote from: MacGuffinWarner Bros has announced that they'll be releasing the first four (in a series of ten) two-disc Chaplin Collection DVDs on July 1st: The Gold Rush, The Great Dictator, Limelight and Modern Times (SRP $29.95 each).

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

dufresne

Criterion should release a Criterion Collection version of ANY Coen Bros. movie.  if i had my choice, i'd take Miller's Crossing.
There are shadows in life, baby.

soixante

Criterion should do Dazed and Confused, which was released 10 years ago.  Think of all the actors in that film who have become famous -- Matthew McConaughey, Ben Affleck, Rene Zellweger, Parker Posey, Nicky Katt, Adam Goldberg, Joey Lauren Adams, etc.

Also, Short Cuts would be a great Criterion release, as it has never been released on DVD.  Another great Altman film for Criterion would be California Split, which has never even been released on video or DVD!
Music is your best entertainment value.

Julke

I would love to see a better edition of American History X with a commentary by Ed Norton.

BonBon85

Quote from: JulkeI would love to see a better edition of American History X with a commentary by Ed Norton.

It'd be nice, but I don't see criterion getting that director approved seal any time soon for it based on the director's feelings about the film.

ksmc

At www.davisdvd.com/weeklycharts/calendar_e.htm there is a listing for "Bottle Rocket" (Criterion Collection) under the Coming Soon heading. Do you think this is for real? That would be incredible.
"Smokey, this is not 'Nam. This is bowling. There are rules."

Stringstroker

Hey guys, check this out. http://pub125.ezboard.com/fcriterioncollectionforumfrm2.showMessage?topicID=118.topic

Also, I wanna see Looking for Richard Criterion release, let alone a DVD release.
"This is funny.  This is nice."
-Barry Egan

sphinx

i asked mulvaney a year ago if 'fear and loathing' would ever made it to criterion because terry gilliam simply rocks.  he gave me the standard reply: no, we have no plans to release this film.  fucking twat.

cowboykurtis

on a tangent here: does any one know about the scorsese box set rumor -- is there any validity to this?
...your excuses are your own...

sphinx

Quote from: cowboykurtison a tangent here: does any one know about the scorsese box set rumor -- is there any validity to this?

the box set is still planning to be released, however it's not criterion.

NEON MERCURY

..leaving las vegas
Jesus' son
at close range
chinatown
the .thin red line
bad lieutenent
my own private idaho
heat.