Gates of Eden by Ethan Coen

Started by kotte, March 23, 2004, 02:01:40 PM

kotte

I believe this thread fits here. Even though it's not a movie it's certainly Coen.

Have you read it, what do you think?

I didn't fully understand the title story Gates of Eden. Didn't get the supposedly emotional note it ends on. Got me laughing alot though...

Anyone seen Fever In The Blood, the short?

Ghostboy

All the stories are terrific, but I think my favorite part would have to be the author's bio on the last page. Brilliant work, that. Also recommended is Ethan's book of poetry, The Drunken Driver Has The Right Of Way.

kotte

Quote from: GhostboyAll the stories are terrific, but I think my favorite part would have to be the author's bio on the last page. Brilliant work, that. Also recommended is Ethan's book of poetry, The Drunken Driver Has The Right Of Way.

Hmm...didn't have a bio on the last page in my book...ah well.

Didn't know about The Drunken Driver book...thanks alot!

Ghostboy

Well, with hopes of providing a bit of amusement in someone's dreary day, I'll transcribe it here:

Ethan Coen is the Samuel Gelbfisz Proffessor of English as a Second Language at the University Of Colorado at Boulder. He is the author of Homeward Plods: Images of the Cowswain in 18th Century Verse and For Art's Sake: Schopenhauer's Esthetics. He is married to the percussionist Grace Buller-Gorge, whose husband Sir Hugh Ayrehead-Maybe of the Austin-Davies Ayrehead-Maybes is Chief Disciplinarian of the Glamorgan Male Choir. They have two children, Alun and Gwynff, as does he. Coen is an accomplished nudist and is the author of a study of Scott's Kenilworth which was universally ignored, as well as three volumes of poetry or, if any publisher should prefer, one big one.

kotte

Quote from: GhostboyWell, with hopes of providing a bit of amusement in someone's dreary day, I'll transcribe it here:

Ethan Coen is the Samuel Gelbfisz Proffessor of English as a Second Language at the University Of Colorado at Boulder. He is the author of Homeward Plods: Images of the Cowswain in 18th Century Verse and For Art's Sake: Schopenhauer's Esthetics. He is married to the percussionist Grace Buller-Gorge, whose husband Sir Hugh Ayrehead-Maybe of the Austin-Davies Ayrehead-Maybes is Chief Disciplinarian of the Glamorgan Male Choir. They have two children, Alun and Gwynff, as does he. Coen is an accomplished nudist and is the author of a study of Scott's Kenilworth which was universally ignored, as well as three volumes of poetry or, if any publisher should prefer, one big one.

Haha...love it!

He's one crazy brother...

hedwig

i just ordered this off of amazon. looking forward to reading it.