Animation

Started by kotte, November 23, 2003, 05:24:54 PM

kotte

What's the best program if you want to do animation?

I don't mean programs like 3D Studio Max but more like Flash...with the possibility of making .avi, .mpeg or .mov files.

Ghostboy

It's not really my field, but a friend of mine uses a mixture of Flash and Director (often after the images and image sequences have been created in Photoshop).

I've started using Flash myself lately, and it seems like there are a lot of possibilities right there.

kotte

Just noticed you can make .avi and .mov files in Flash.

zerocool41

what do the south park guys use?  could you make south park on flash?
I'm going to lay down a monster hand here.

BonBon85

You could make South Park pretty easily on flash but I saw a special where they said that they actually use a really sophisticated 3d program. They said it was the same software people used on Jurassic Park (Maya maybe?).

aclockworkjj

Maya is pretty much the industry standard.  or was.  all sorts of new shit is popping up.  but even this last year i think the academy gave Maya an award for it's technical involvement within reguards to film....

speaking of animation...i love pluggin' www.rustboy.com , cause i think it's just that fuckin' cool.

Xixax

The South Park guys use Alias Wavefront stuff. Maya, and some of their other suite of tools.

Pretty funny when you consider how low-tech the show looks. I've read interviews about how they've all had to "dumb down" their work to keep it with that cheesy look.
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

TheVoiceOfNick

There are lots of cartoons that are currently on the air that use Flash as their animation tool... has anyone ever seen Home Movies on Cartoon Network's Adult Swim?  That's done in Flash.

kotte

I think The gorillaz (or whatever their name is) used flash for their Clint Eastwood video. that was a cool fucking video.

TheVoiceOfNick

Quote from: kotteI think The gorillaz (or whatever their name is) used flash for their Clint Eastwood video. that was a cool fucking video.

Yeah, I think so too... I read that online somewhere... I think that Flash skills are worth having in animation, regardless of what you do... if you work on some other program, the company could go out of business and you're left with skills for an unsupported program... with Flash, you pretty much know its gonna be there in the future since its developer has been around for a while and they make other programs as well... and Flash can do a whole lot more than animation too...

aclockworkjj

Quote from: kotteThe gorillaz Clint Eastwood video
Here is the video for those interested in it....great tune by the way.

kotte

Quote from: aclockworkjj
Quote from: kotteThe gorillaz Clint Eastwood video
Here is the video for those interested in it....great tune by the way.

Thanks! I was actually looking for it right now...praise the clock.

kotte

I read somewhere that Steven Spielberg wants to make a movie based on the Gorillaz...now that's a crazy idea.

zerocool41

Anyone know a good book to help you learn to draw cartoons...i'm assuming cartooning is an art that can be learned.  :)
I'm going to lay down a monster hand here.

BonBon85