Millennium Actress

Started by Pwaybloe, October 24, 2003, 01:12:28 PM

Pwaybloe

For those who are fans of "A Perfect Blue" by Satoshi Kon, Millennium Actress is coming to DVD Oct. 28.  

I, myself, haven't seen the movie yet, but it sounds great.  

It seems we're entering the future of animated movies.  Less sci-fi eye-candy and more thoughtful and dramatic storytelling.

More info here.

shash

man, i love "the perfect blue"!  the plot is just stunning~~~~!!  all my friends who saw MA said it was really cool.  definitely going to check that out!

Find Your Magali

This looks fascinating.

I love the idea of using animation to tell dramatic adult stories; especially ambitious ones like this that would need an $80 million budget because of all of the cross-cutting of eras, memories, etc. ...

Find Your Magali

Watched this earlier this week. It's pretty stunning. ... It wasn't exactly what I expected, in terms of the "love story," (an unpredictability that I found refreshing). ... Really it's about the arguably irrational notions and compulsions that can end up defining who we are and the course of our lives, set against the backdrop of Japan's history -- as seen through motion pictures. In a weird way, you could say that there are some "Nurse Betty" parallels. But that's all I'll say. Highly recommended. Check it out.

N

Sorry to bump and old thread but I just watched this.

This was the last of Satoshi Kon's features I hadn't watched, holy crap.
So much heart in an animated feature.
It feels like Kon was directing the likes of Toshiro Mifune when I see characters like Genya, Toshimi Konakawa and Gin.
This really is the type of movie that could only be made with animation.

I know he's dead and all but Kon should really have his own thread.

Mel

Quote from: N on February 22, 2014, 09:38:29 AM
This really is the type of movie that could only be made with animation.

I kinda disagree with that. I love Satoshi so much, because every animation of his is very adult and it is written like feature film. I look at "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" and I can see "Millennium Actress" made in similar vein.

Quote from: N on February 22, 2014, 09:38:29 AM
I know he's dead and all but Kon should really have his own thread.

I believe so too. I don't know what is going on with "Dreaming Machine" right now, but there is hope there will be something to discuss in future.
Simple mind - simple pleasures...

Find Your Magali

Quote from: Find Your Magali on November 15, 2003, 09:40:43 AM
Watched this earlier this week. It's pretty stunning. ... It wasn't exactly what I expected, in terms of the "love story," (an unpredictability that I found refreshing). ... Really it's about the arguably irrational notions and compulsions that can end up defining who we are and the course of our lives, set against the backdrop of Japan's history -- as seen through motion pictures. In a weird way, you could say that there are some "Nurse Betty" parallels. But that's all I'll say. Highly recommended. Check it out.

Love responding to myself from 17 years ago.
What a website!!
Holy f--k, though, time has passed.

I've watched a bundle of Setsuko Hara films over the past few years, and now I'm interested in revisting Millennium Actress through that lens, as it clearly had her at least partly in mind.