stunt fight shots

Started by SoNowThen, July 28, 2003, 01:16:27 PM

SoNowThen

So I have to stage a fight between two men in a picnic ground, where the much bigger/stronger man wrestles the other guy to the grass, but the other guy manages to pull the big man down with him. The big man smacks his head on the edge of the picnic table bench, and is almost knocked out.

Any ideas on staging, and particularily shot selection (to cheat it and make it look as real as possible), that I could try?
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

mutinyco

If somebody is getting punched in the face you want the camera to be facing that person's face. The camera should be behind the person swinging, so you see the fist move in front of the victim's face, but not the distance between the fist and the face.

As for the falling and heading hitting... Go wide as they start to fall, then cut to a close-up of the head hitting. Watch Youngblood for a similar scenario when Patrick Swayze gets his skull cracked.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

SoNowThen

Okay, that's good stuff. But how do I do the CU of the head hitting? Have him start on the edge of the bench and push off (as if his head just hit and bounced)?? Where should I place the camera for that?
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Raikus

You could just set up so he's in between the bench and the camera. Then just have him set up close to the bench, but in front of the corner and fake it. Have his recoil his head right when it looks like he'd hit the bench. Then crumple. Since it's a CU, you can do a few takes. It would also avoid any possible injury.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

ReelHotGames

using a camera in motion during the shots will help because the movement of the cam will help mask the movement in the shot, in particular going hand held will help the frentic situation look.

Otherwise placing the camera behind the subject as he falls where the table is in the background will mask how far away from the table he even is as he reels his head back.
"Body Count Cinema the Customizable Card Game"
A cinematic CCG coming to a coffee table near you!
www.reelhotgames.com/BodyCountCinema_Home.htm

SoNowThen

Sounds good, guys. Thanks for the help.

Yeah, Michael, I planned on shooting this scene shakey-hand-held. Kinda cliche, but I've never really tried it before, and it makes sense because we have to break down almost three pages to shoot in 1 hour of slow sunset, so we really need to run and gun.

TheVoiceOfNick

Just to add one more thing... make the cuts quick... don't show too much... the audience will fill in the gaps... they'll think they saw what they didn't really see. And don't forget to add good sound effects in post!

Nick