Little things while shooting (like lens cleaning...)

Started by SoNowThen, July 09, 2003, 08:56:27 AM

SoNowThen

I'm gonna shoot soon (20 min short on XL1S), and I wanna get a little checklist for the things I will probably overlook.

I can't get kem (sp?) whipes in my town. The local camera store has a dry cloth for cleaning, but I don't know if that will do with the dirtier stuff on my UV filter. Any suggestions? Do I need a liquid cleaner of some kind?

Also, can I use canned air on my XL1S manual lens? Even though I keep the filter on, the lens seems to gather a bit of dust.

As to sound, I know people have commented before, but is it a fairly safe idea to use a mini-disc? I don't have that much dialogue, and if needed a good chunk could be post-dubbed. It would be cheaper for me to borrow a mini-disc than rent a dat, and also a disc would be easier for me to load onto a comp later on and use for sound.

Anything else I should remember that I'll probably forget? Are there handy all-purpose tools I should carry with me? The shoot is all exterior, so I have a nice light-disc, but as to other equipment I don't know what else to bring.

Thanks in advance to all help...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Ghostboy

Man, I always forget to clean the lens and then kick myself for it later. I forget the brand I use, but I've got seperate lens cleaner and wipes. It's strange that your photography store doesn't carry anything. A mini disc should work great, but make sure your XL-1's mic is on just for safety (the on-camera mic isn't preferable but is good in a pinch). Don't forget to charge your batteries the night before. Check the weather forecast since it's all outside (and since it's all outside, keep an extra special watch on the exposure, since the sun will keep changing things for you -- this is where it's always good to have a light meter). When you're using sunlight, you don't need lights, but you should have reflectors and flags and scrims so you can work with the daylight. You can either rent these or make them.

Canned air is perfectly okay for lenses.

I'm gonna try to think of some more stuff once I'm not sleepy. I don't know if it's possible to ever be completely prepared.

TheVoiceOfNick

You're able to get an XL1S but not wipes? Wierd.... try B&H (bhphotovideo.com)... they'll hook you up. Why wouldn't you use the XL1's onboard audio capabilities with an external mic? You've basically got a built in DAT in that thing... sure, you can use mini-disc, but why would you when you can get better quality straight from the camera. Just use a really good shotgun mic and be sure to monitor your levels!

Nick

SoNowThen

Tried it before. The way I shoot, I can't have the camera tied down to the sound guy. Lotsa movement. To be sure, I'll use the onboard as a fail-safe.

Yeah, the whole wipe situation is a strange one. I might be able to order some though. Just if there were any cleaners that are okay to use.

Anyway, this is great so far, guys. Keep it comin' !!
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

jokerspath

Well, here's some my mom told me to tell you:
    Red leaves of three, leave them be.
    You can never have too much toilet paper.
    Know your way home.
    Be polite, thank them for dinner.
    Bring snacks, like gorp (a combo of peanuts, raisins, M+Ms)
    Wear a sweater, cuz you'll catch your death out there.
    You keep doing that, you're going to go blind...[/list:u]

aw

ps-remember to print this page out and bring it with you!
THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

SoNowThen

If that last one was true, not even my glasses would help me...

But anyway, back to lens/tool kit help please.

mutinyco

Just be prepared for anything to go wrong. Having a flawless production is like screwing Pam Anderson -- ain't gonna happen!
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe