Don't Look Up (Adam McKay)

Started by wrongright, September 08, 2021, 11:06:01 AM

©brad

Seems really high concept but this all star cast surely saw something in the script we're not seeing in the trailer.

Drenk

There's no way it's a real clip from the movie, right? It feels like a teaser? I guess he's trying to edit like Lars Von Trier.
Ascension.

Axolotl

Robyn

Quote from: Drenk on September 25, 2021, 04:03:41 PM
I guess he's trying to edit like Lars Von Trier.

If they are trying to create an disoriented feeling, they are doing a good job! But I don't think that's the point.

I have low expectations, but the DiCaprio + Lawrence combo could be fun. She hasn't had a good role for a while...

Yes

It's genuinely upsetting how this dude fell off. Went from comedy classics to old man yells at cloud liberal sermonizing. We already have one Michael Moore. And I say that as someone who enjoyed Big Short and Vice. Has JLaw ever looked more intolerable in a movie?

Leo looks fun, however, he always excels in comedy mode

Drenk

Ascension.

Jeremy Blackman

Yes

One of the worst films in recent years. And this is coming from someone who felt Vice was fine

WorldForgot

Maybe because my expectations were low, maybe because M4trix iz what it iz, but this hit its social critique with good humor. Its characters are drawn in broad strokes, and it's the cast that turns those personalities and archetypes into endearing notions of modern sensibilities worth watching. At first it may feel like the quick cuts are a detriment to the performances, but then that gives way to the rapid-fire and global portrayal of imminent crisis. It becomes a movie as much about its dual protagonists as how we receive information. Instant, unstoppable, filtered through an economy of commodities and media-manipulation.

There are contrivances that feel inhuman, but that makes up a bulk of McKay's output, so I had expected something much worse. Having prepared myself for a pedantic cringe-comp, I was surprised to care about Kate Dibiasky as much as I did.

Enjoyed it much more than Vice, which I found too silly, its leaps unwieldy. By merging the comedy of his earlier films with the social concern of exploitation that people hooked onto within The Big Short McKay's team creates something like a more-grounded Mike Judge film; Idiocracy via PBS. Or, like, Roland Emmerich for those truly concerned. Staring at splinters.

mogwai

First of all it's way too fucking long!

And secondly, it wastes all the actors talents. The story with DiCaprios wife was sweet and real. But the director of Anchorman and Step Brothers? Those are fun comedies but it's like the director wanted to suck up on the actors.

This is DiCaprios "Mars Attacks!". If it makes any sense.