Licorice Pizza - Speculation & General Reactions

Started by Fuzzy Dunlop, August 30, 2017, 12:58:10 PM

Tdog

Quote from: d on April 24, 2019, 06:53:40 AM
Hard to disagree really. At least for some time now he has played a sort of version of Leo, Belfort in Wolf being probably the most generic version. Which is not necessarily to say he is a bad actor. Maybe it's the matter of stardom as you suggest as this was not the case is his earlier films. One role he really managed to become invisible recently is his Calvin Candie in Django. So maybe with a good script and director...

Obviously it would be exciting to see him working with PTA, both for artistic and marketing reasons. I don't really understand why Gordon-Levitt appeared in the other thread as a strong possibility but I wonder, given similar age, looks and maybe even acting skill set how this Leo gossip makes JGL story more likely.

If "martinthewarrior" is to be believed then someone in the other thread guessed right. So then I suppose you gotta think who's closest to DiCaprio.

Honestly he should just work with Joaquin again since he could do anything Leo does but much better.

Alethia

I think Leo's been pretty consistently great post-Gangs (he was miscast in that one). Catch Me If You Can, Aviator, Departed, Wolf (his best performance), Django, Revolutionary Road, Inception. I'll watch him in anything. Pitt, too. They've only gotten better with age.

But agreed PTA should just stick with Joaquin, his range covering every kind of role imaginable and all.

trytotell

Was Dicaprio offered a supporting role (that wasn't super showy like DJango)? Other than schedule issues, that's the only reason I can fathom him turning down PTA for Del Toro (if he did, that tweet is sort of vague). He likes to be front and center.

Now that the film is officially being discussed in the trades, martinthewarrior can hopefully be more direct in his scoops? It's fair game now right?

pynchonikon

If PTA did discuss with Leo on a new project he's preparing, then my guess is that he wrote the lead part having him in mind, like he did so many times in the past with the actors he wanted to work with, and I would be a bit surprised if he gave up so easily and searched immediately for a substitue (of course there is the small possibility that the role he proposed him was a supporting one like already said above). Afterall we don't even know for sure if it's the same project with the one that martinthewarrior was talking about (which seems to be in advanced level of pre-production, considering that there is a schedule of shooting, so we should get some official announcements any time soon), PTA could very possibly have lots of scripts in mind and move on with something particular when the circumstances are suitable.

Tdog

Quote from: trytotell on April 24, 2019, 08:34:47 AM
Now that the film is officially being discussed in the trades,

It is?

trytotell

Tdog

trytotell

Quote from: Tdog on April 24, 2019, 08:50:32 AM
Quote from: trytotell on April 24, 2019, 08:49:48 AM
Quote from: Tdog on April 24, 2019, 08:46:32 AM

It is?

In some capacity.
LINK?

Sorry, I meant the Hollywood Reporter source tweet. Technically, they've revealed he's gearing up a new project and talking to actors, etc.

Tdog

Quote from: trytotell on April 24, 2019, 08:56:11 AM
Quote from: Tdog on April 24, 2019, 08:50:32 AM
Quote from: trytotell on April 24, 2019, 08:49:48 AM
Quote from: Tdog on April 24, 2019, 08:46:32 AM

It is?

In some capacity.
LINK?

Sorry, I meant the Hollywood Reporter source tweet. Technically, they've revealed he's gearing up a new project and talking to actors, etc.
Ah ok! It would be nice if martinthewarrior gave us more hints to get the speculative gears turning!

Lempwick

PTA should get Gosling to do it.

Lewton

In terms of missed opportunities (i.e., actors who were once considered for PTA movies but it didn't work out), Jack Nicholson has always seemed to me a more interesting case than DiCaprio. He's unofficially retired now but it was only a short while ago that he was ready to star in the Toni Erdmann remake with Kristen Wiig. I mean, I really doubt we'll be seeing that headline because he supposedly left that remake and seems to have returned to retirement status. But it'd be exciting news.

Olivia Cooke is another actor who would probably be great in a PTA film (wasn't a huge fan of Thoroughbreds but her performance is amazing there and I also liked her performance in Ready Player One).

Would be nice to see him work with Laura Dern again, too.

martinthewarrior

Since this has dropped, I heard it was shooting in the Fall. Don't want to betray a confidence by giving away the lead, but it's hard to imagine any actor "being bad" in a pta flick. Brings out the best in everyone he works with. Would've loved to see Leo, but hopefully down the road.

Yes

Jim Carrey as the lead

Or Ferrell as suggested before

jviness02

Quote from: Lewton on April 24, 2019, 04:37:57 PM
In terms of missed opportunities (i.e., actors who were once considered for PTA movies but it didn't work out), Jack Nicholson has always seemed to me a more interesting case than DiCaprio. He's unofficially retired now but it was only a short while ago that he was ready to star in the Toni Erdmann remake with Kristen Wiig. I mean, I really doubt we'll be seeing that headline because he supposedly left that remake and seems to have returned to retirement status. But it'd be exciting news.

Olivia Cooke is another actor who would probably be great in a PTA film (wasn't a huge fan of Thoroughbreds but her performance is amazing there and I also liked her performance in Ready Player One).

Would be nice to see him work with Laura Dern again, too.

Jack is my all-time favorite actor. It's sacrilegious to imagine anyone else as Jack Horner since Burt was iconic, but...I woulda loved to see Nicholson in a PTA flick and Boogie Nights seems like his kind of movie. I believe I've read Paul felt Jack Nicholson was TOO BIG for the role and it was never officially offered to him, but others have suggested Jack turned down the role.

Yes

If the new one is contemporary and funny but drama then it's not that newsroom romp he discussed before.