Welcome to the 2007 Xixax Awards!

Started by MacGuffin, March 06, 2007, 08:58:17 PM

MacGuffin

The results are in!

This is our fifth year for the annual xixax awards. And a fifth year anniversary is represented by the traditional gift of wood. So we encourage everyone to eat a sampling from the tree of life so we can keep xixax and the awards last forever.

EACH AWARD IS ANNOUNCED IN ITS OWN THREAD

Best Film
Best Director
Best Female Performance
Best Male Performance
Best Supporting Female Performance
Best Supporting Male Performance
Best Screenplay
Best Cinematography
Best Original Music
Best Editing
Best Sound
Best Visual Effects
Best Debut Film
Best Documentary
Best Animated Feature
Best DVD Release
Best Trailer
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

matt35mm

Those Flash animations are really cool.

All in all, I'm pleased with the choices.

polkablues

Quote from: MacGuffin on March 06, 2007, 08:58:17 PM
And a fifth year anniversary is represented by the traditional gift of wood.

I don't know about anyone else, but I got wood just from that animation.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Bethie

I don't approve. I don't think my votes were counted.
who likes movies anyway

Gamblour.

I'm very disappointed. Children of Men winning Best Picture and Best Director?? I don't understand it.
WWPTAD?

grand theft sparrow

Why not?  What movie did you vote for?  :ponder:

Kal

pete

wow, I've been here on this here board three years, and it seemed like nobody's taste or exposure in movies really grew or matured in that time.  edgy studio-made films, thy demographic is hither.
did I use hither right?
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

ono

Not nobody's, just not the majority's.  That'll be the case pretty much wherever you go, though.  Well, except boards like Criterion.

Derek237

Sunrise

Quote from: pete on March 07, 2007, 12:46:29 PM
wow, I've been here on this here board three years, and it seemed like nobody's taste or exposure in movies really grew or matured in that time.  edgy studio-made films, thy demographic is hither.
did I use hither right?

Quote from: onomabracadabra on March 07, 2007, 01:24:10 PM
Not nobody's, just not the majority's.  That'll be the case pretty much wherever you go, though.  Well, except boards like Criterion.

Can we really say "majority" when only 45 ballots were cast and counted? Yet I suppose the point of view that there are about only 45 regular posters should be given plenty of consideration.

The awards themselves came out right in most cases...especially documentary, which had a lot of good nominees. But what the hell with dvd?? Apocalypse Now isn't even the best film in that category, let alone the best dvd. I'm baffled.

ono

Yeah, you answered your own question.

As for Children of Men, it's just okay, another film where I blink once or twice, trying to figure out what other people see in it, and then come to the conclusion that there really isn't that much there.  Don't strain yourself too much to see the film.  Like with The Departed, in times of creative drought, people will grasp onto anything in hopes of quenching that thirst for something special.  Neither film is it.  Something like Pan's Labyrinth comes close with its creative visual flair and revelation of a new world that's really always been there, but the writing (painting of characters, really) is too simple and cookie-cutter for it to be anything special.  Same with something like Brick.  Smoke and mirrors, that one.  Lots of cool talk, but not a lot of depth, and it succumbed to trickery and violence, much like Pan, in an effort to shock and awe.

grand theft sparrow

If they're willing, maybe the admins can shed some light on this but you all do realize that Children of Men most likely won by only a vote or two, right?  And I'd bet that there's not much more than a vote or two separating the other 4 nominees.  Which means that more people didn't vote for Children of Men than did.  So the "anything but Children of Men" vote was split. 

You did it to yourselves.

modage

Quote from: jacksparrow on March 07, 2007, 03:22:10 PM
If they're willing, maybe the admins can shed some light on this but you all do realize that Children of Men most likely won by only a vote or two, right?

actually, Children of Men received TWICE as many votes as any of the other nominees. so you did it to yourselves! 

i'm actually happier with this years crop of nominees and winners than i have been maybe ever?  thanks everyone.  :bravo:
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Sunrise

Quote from: jacksparrow on March 07, 2007, 03:22:10 PM
Which means that more people didn't vote for Children of Men than did.  So the "anything but Children of Men" vote was split.

That's seems like a less than convincing reason to discredit the fact that Children of Men was the Best Film. When you've got five nominees you are most certainly only going to have a plurality for the top vote-getter. It was still chosen by more people than any other film as this year's best. If the vote was close, that may say more about the overall quality (or mediocrity) of the nominees as opposed to totaling all the other votes and declaring them the "anything but" vote. Did anyone place a vote in a category just so a particular nominee wouldn't win? That would seem strange.

Anyway, I would also be interested in a breakdown, but that may be setting a new precedent the admins are not interested in.