XIXAX Film Forum

NEON MERCURY's ++ ps360ii Lite ++ thread -weaning you off WoW since 07

NEON MERCURY · 1884 · 176826

WorldForgot

• The Magic Flight
  • 'change your hair, change your life'
    • portfolio ~
Well, nerds, good to hear y'all are still inspired by games. I had not heard of SATISFACTORY so I've got to check that out!

Currently not playing as many competitive shooters as I used to - although I still adore Overwatch - cuz my team got burnt out/split up so I migrated to PC Overwatch instead of PS4.

So what I've found instead has been the nostalgic rabbit hole of fighting games. Grew up playing Marvel Vs Capcom 2 and Smash, with a bit of Mortal Kombat when I could sneak it. Now that I've got the time to try a bunch out I've especially grown really fond of the ArcSys works fighting games, and bought a Mayflash arcade stick for the best feeling of quarter, half, and full circle inputs.

The personality and depth of ArcSys fighting games goes beyond Capcom's technical emphasis of Street Fighter's simplicity, or spam chain of Tag battle games or stylish flourishes and toward a philosophy of fighting game that isn't just wearing your opponent down, doesn't hold to past convention, emphasizing the creation of your own style of approach or combo linking. The characters are unique, balanced for variety -- and all the mechanics feature a cancel/link/gatling approach to inputs that feels like playing the piano.

Drenk

• The Master of Two Worlds
Buy Celeste and a thousand other games here for 5 dollars, all the money being donated to the NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund and Community Bail Fund: https://itch.io/b/520/bundle-for-racial-justice-and-equality

I'm finishing the free DLC of Celeste, a very long chapter where speedrunners techniques are necessary, and...what a fucking glorious game...

Ascension.

polkablues

• Child of Myth
  • Admin
Even if all you play of that collection is Celeste and Night In The Woods, youíre already getting way more than your moneyís worth out of it. And going to a good cause, too.

Unrelatedly, I now have firsthand experience with this:

I havenít played it a ton yet, but itís pretty fucking mindblowing so far. Being back in that world is great just in general, and in the most polished and immersive VR experience to date is icing on the cake. Thereís a game mechanic with ďgravity glovesĒ where to pick up a distant object, you aim your hand at it, grip to engage it, and flip your wrist to bring it arcing through the air, where you then have to catch it when it reaches you. I can not stress enough how deeply satisfying this action is, every single time. Just a pure uncut shot of endorphins straight to the pleasure center. Itís a good game, you guys.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Drenk

I'll play and be awed by Alyx in a decade.

The Last of Us II is reminding me that I loved The Last of Us and what I actually didn't like was God of War.

By the way, the model for the character of Dina did a playthrough of The Last of Us. Her channel is entertaining. She has no idea of what happens in the sequel, even though her *body* is in it, that will probably be a very strange experience for her.

Ascension.

WorldForgot

• The Magic Flight
  • 'change your hair, change your life'
    • portfolio ~

Drenk

The full discourse around The Last of Us II is so weird, man. From the bigots who got crazy after the leaks to the people who mock the game based on the marketing, plus the fact that crunching at Naughty Dog is awful ("I'm very much anti crunching, obviously, and have tweeted my fair share of useless tweets at Druckmann...).

But when spoiler culture forces you to basically hide what the themes of your game is behind empty taglines, forbidding reviewers to write about the details, you're exposing yourself to that kind of vapidity.

This is twisted. The fact that workers have to say that people online are supporting them based on what seems to be distorted information...

But yeah. Unions. Now.

EDIT:

I mean. Look at this one, giving a compliment before mentioning: "gratuitous evisceration?" You mean? Fighting zombies in a game with zombies? This is about sensibility and all, I guess. I'm not bothered by the violence and...I have a hard time registering the complaint at all since I'm not seeing it? Seriously, before starting the game I thought that I would be decapitating teenage girls every twenty minutes.

Ascension.

polkablues

• Child of Myth
  • Admin
I don't think I've ever played a game in which the violence was less gratuitous.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Drenk

That teaser was the first to capture my interest and I finally know what happens next.

Still in love with the game.
Ascension.

Drenk

Here is a great link to have access to a lot of beautiful concept art from The Last of Us II. Spoilers abound, obviously.

https://magazine.artstation.com/2020/06/naughty-dog-the-last-of-us-part-ii-art-blast/
Ascension.