Hostel: Part II

Started by MacGuffin, January 10, 2006, 05:03:40 PM

MacGuffin

Hostel Returns
Sequel set for macabre horror hit.

Lions Gate Films and Sony's Screen Gems are, not surprisingly, keen to crank out a sequel to the surprise horror hit Hostel. The modestly-budgeted movie debuted at the top of the North American box office this weekend with around $20 million.

The studios, which will once again split production and distribution responsibilities, are hoping to strike while the iron is hot and rush the film into production -- much like Lions Gate successfully did with Saw and Saw II. Hostel 2 would reportedly be put on the fast track for an early 2007 release.

Industry insider mag Variety reveals that filmmaker Eli Roth is in negotiations to return, but story ideas for the possible second installment in the grisly series are being kept  under wraps.

Hostel stars Jay Hernandez and Derek Richardson as two American college buddies Paxton and Josh who go backpacking through Europe and get caught up in a sick and twisted game where rich and powerful men from around the world brutally torture their captives.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

'Hostel' Yields A Sequel — And Perhaps A Few Babies
Director hopes to hammer out second gory script, start shooting this summer.

HOLLYWOOD — Four months ago, they gutted, grossed and gored their way to box-office success with one of the most excruciatingly graphic horror films ever made.

This week, with the DVD release of "Hostel," the film's director and star plan to keep fans gleefully vomiting and fainting for years to come.

"Somebody puked, somebody passed out, and somebody went to the hospital," star Jay Hernandez said Tuesday at a release party for the unrated DVD, fondly looking back at the film's theatrical run. "When I heard of people doing that in theaters, I was pretty psyched."

"I've gotten two kinds of reports," said writer/director Eli Roth. "One type of report is that people throw up or pass out or get sick to their stomach, and another report is that a lot of people get [lucky] watching 'Hostel.' I swear to God, people have told me that they brought a date to see the movie, and then the date is grabbing their hand, and they had their head buried in their date's chest the whole time. The girl was too freaked out, she didn't want to go home alone, and the guy brought her home, and it was like, 'Yeah, it worked out. I closed the deal.' So I do think that nine months from now, we will have some medical emergencies and some 'Hostel' babies."

Roth plans to cut himself off from the outside world to begin writing a 'Hostel' sequel this week, recapturing the hermitlike existence that helped him pen the first film.

"I've got to write it," he said. "I've been doing a world tour with 'Hostel,' doing press. It has been opening in every other country, and I have been making notes. But [this week] I am really going to unplug my phone, shut off my e-mail, and write the script. And we are going to shoot it this summer."

After the high body count of the first film, the difficulties of negotiating with returning actors is one torture Roth will be able to avoid. As of now, only leading man Hernandez is set to return.

"I think there is going to be definitely more of a revenge element involved, but aside from that, I'm as excited and curious as anybody else about what the story is going to be," Hernandez said.

Roth said even he doesn't know where "Hostel II" could take him, but he does know one thing: It will start immediately after the final scene of the first film.

"I want to pick up and continue in the story exactly where the last one left off," the director said. "Other than 'Porky's II: The Next Day,' you don't really see that many movies where they pick up at the moment where the last one stopped. I really want it to feel like a part one and a part two more than a sequel."

"I think that the trauma that he has experienced will definitely affect him in a negative way," Hernandez said of his character, Paxton, last seen exacting bloody revenge despite being a few fingers short of a hand.

Featuring four commentary tracks, a behind-the-scenes feature (shot by Roth's brother) and an extra 30 seconds of "the eye goo — the stuff dripping out that the ratings board had me cut," the director promised that "Hostel" fans will have plenty to keep themselves occupied until the sequel arrives.

Roth did pass along one small request for anyone who gets lucky while watching his DVD at home: "I would like the babies to be named 'Hostel' or 'Vomit,' " he laughed. "That would really be a nice compliment to me."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

'Hostel' Director Promises 'Plenty Of Blood And Torture' In Sequel    
Source: MTVNews 06.09.2006 6:00 AM EDT

CULVER CITY, California — Writers are a superstitious bunch. Some compose their best work in dimly lit rooms, while others prefer Internet cafes. Many insist on sitting in the same chair, using the same computer or even going old-school with pencils and a legal pad or (gasp!) a typewriter. One of the hottest writer/directors in Hollywood, in fact, has seen such superstition turn him into the most solitary man this side of O.J. Simpson.

Eli Roth became a hot commodity six months ago with the release of "Hostel," a demented, depraved, delightfully perverse flick dreamed up over several months of hermit-like seclusion. Naturally, when it came time for a sequel, the manic 34-year-old told MTV News six weeks ago that he was determined to "unplug [his] phone, shut off [his] e-mail and write the script" (see " 'Hostel' Yields A Sequel — And Perhaps A Few Babies").

This week, Roth briefly emerged from a Howard Hughes-like exile to storm the MTV Movie Awards, an appearance so last-minute that someone else's credentials were hanging around his neck.

While sneaking a long-overdue peek at the light of day, Roth was all too eager to offer his fans some details.

"I shaved today for the first time in three weeks because I haven't left my house — I've been working on the script for 'Hostel 2,' " Roth reported. "I don't think 'Hostel' is gonna be winning any Oscars, so it's nice that we got a Best Frightened Performance nomination for Derek Richardson."

Those who've seen the movie will remember Richardson as the dude who gets his Achilles tendons sliced open. Because of that and the ensuing bloodiness, let's just say that Richardson wouldn't be the best person to ask about sequel possibilities. Roth, however, is looking forward to his second chapter.

"I'm writing 'Hostel 2' for girls — it's going to be three girls this time," he revealed. "They're studying in Italy for the summer, and they get lured, and they go back to ... well, we're going to go back to a lot of familiar places."

Through the existence of this Italian hostel, Roth plans to reveal that the Slovakian stopover from the first flick is actually part of a chain — kinda like a Motel 6, but with decapitations instead of a continental breakfast.

"It's all part of the organization; they've got the whole thing set up all over the place, and they have different scouts," Roth said. "We're going to learn a lot more about how it all works. In 'Hostel 2,' you're really going to see the ins and outs of the whole organization and how they get people and kill them.

"And there will be plenty of blood and torture," he added with a sadistic grin. "I can tell you that."

"Hostel" didn't leave a lot of actors' story lines open for sequel possibilities, but Jay Hernandez did survive — at least, most of him did. Roth happily reported that Hernandez's Paxton has been written into the film and will be encountering the three girls in Italy.

"Jay has a few less fingers, so it might be difficult for him to blend in," the director said. "But yeah, he's not out of the woods yet."

Roth's script begins the moment the original "Hostel" left off, a tribute to the similarly timed second chapters of his beloved "Halloween" and "Porky's."

" 'Hostel 2' is going to start literally with the next cut, and you're going to see [Paxton] at the same time. You'll see that he's totally messed-up from the experience. It's completely wrecked him, and his life is in ruins."

Hernandez will express his mental collapse in some of the tossing-and-turning scenes Roth is composing.

"You know, when they have a sequel, and you see the guy and he's having nightmares and can't sleep and is going crazy," the filmmaker said, sounding as if Hernandez might finally turn into the villain Roth wanted him to become in an early draft of the original flick.

Although he has spent most of the last few weeks alone, Roth has made time to once again solicit some advice from an equally twisted mind.

"Quentin [Tarantino] was really helpful when I told him the story idea. I was like, 'What do you think about this?' and he's like, 'Oh man, what if we did it with girls?,' " Roth said of the "Hostel" producer. "I saw Quentin last night, and we started to talk about some different death scenes, and anytime I'm like, 'Oh, what if we killed someone like this?,' he's got three other different ways to kill them. When he reads the script, it inspires a bunch of things."

Roth hopes to begin shooting in August and to release the film in January 2007.

With all those details revealed, Roth once again looked forward to unplugging the phone, shutting off the e-mail and finishing up his script. But he eyeballed the entrance to the Movie Awards and reminded himself of one last thing he was eager to do beforehand.

"If we win, that's great, but if Derek Richardson loses to Paris Hilton, I get to make fun of him for the rest of his life and say that Paris Hilton is a better actor than him," Roth laughed. "So it's kind of a win-win situation." (Neither Richardson nor Hilton got lucky: The award went to Jennifer Carpenter for "The Exorcism of Emily Rose.")
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pubrick

Quote from: modage on June 09, 2006, 09:40:09 AM
'Hostel' Director Promises 'Plenty Of Blood And Torture hype' In Sequel    
fixed.
under the paving stones.

grand theft sparrow

it's going to be three girls this time

Quote from: Pubrick on June 09, 2006, 11:16:43 AM
'Hostel' Director Promises 'Plenty Of Blood And Torture hype BOOBS' In Sequel    
fixed.

modage

he is definitely skilled at selling himself.  i wish his movies could catch up to the hype.  Eli Roth is the modern day PT Barnum.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Trio checks rates in Gems' 'Hostel'

Lauren German, Heather Matarazzo and Bijou Phillips are in varying stages of negotiations to star in "Hostel 2," which Eli Roth is directing for Screen Gems. The first "Hostel," which was released this year and grossed about $50 million domestically, followed three men who end up in a Slovakian hostel which serves as a front for an organization specializing in torture. This time, the story follows three women who, while studying abroad for the summer, learn the grim truth behind the Slovakian hostel and its international counterparts. German would play a wealthy girl trying to figure out her next step in life, Phillips would be her best friend and Matarazzo will be a tag-along.

Skeleton FilmWorks

last days of gerry the elephant

The fate of Saw 2 awaits this.

modage

gee i wonder which one will play the nerd?

MacGuffin

Welcome to the Hostel: Part II
Source: Lionsgate

Lionsgate has revealed new details about writer-director Eli Roth's Hostel sequel. The horror film, now titled Hostel: Part II, stars Lauren German, Bijou Phillips, Roger Bart, Richard Bugl, Vera Jordanova, Heather Mattarazzo, Stanislav Ianevski and Milan Knazko. Here is how the studio describes the film:

Last January, writer/director Eli Roth terrified moviegoers with the blood-drenched "Hostel," which catapulted to the top of the box office charts and became the first Number One film of 2006. One year later, Roth takes us back to where it all began, and deeper into the darkest recesses of the human mind.

In "Hostel: Part II," three young Americans studying art in Rome set off for a weekend trip when they run into a beautiful model from one of their classes. Also on her way to an exotic destination, the gorgeous European invites the coeds to come along, assuring them they will be able to relax and rejuvenate.

Will the girls find the oasis they are looking for? Or are they poised to become victims for hire, pawns in the fantasies of the sick and privileged from around the world who secretly travel here to savor more grisly pursuits?

With "Hostel," Eli Roth cemented the cutting-edge credentials he earned with his debut feature "Cabin Fever" (2002). In "Hostel: Part II," Roth invites fans to take another frightening trip where suppressed urges – once unleashed – have chilling consequences.

Hostel: Part II is scheduled for a January 5, 2007 release.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Julius Orange

Quote from: MacGuffin on October 04, 2006, 01:22:20 AM
Will the girls find the oasis they are looking for? Or are they poised to become victims for hire, pawns in the fantasies of the sick and privileged from around the world who secretly travel here to savor more grisly pursuits?
No. cause how do you poise for that.

Thanks
email your opinnumber to NEW EMAIL juliusorange@gmail.com

for petes sake

Will they?!  Will they?!

MacGuffin

Source: MTV

You might have heard all kinds of start dates and release dates for "Hostel 2," the sequel to last January's gory sleeper hit. According to series star Jay Hernandez, much of the confusion revolves around his suddenly packed schedule, which he's been happily dealing with since his finger-licking-good performance made him so in demand. Still, he's doing his best to find the time to fly to Prague and shoot some scenes before the flick finishes filming. "I will say this: I'm having difficulty with my schedule because I am on a TV show right now, so that is one thing that we're trying to work out," Hernandez said of his role on ABC's "Six Degrees." Luckily for "Hostel" fans — but maybe not for Hernandez — "Degrees" doesn't have an episode running this week and looks to be nearing cancellation. "Hopefully it all works out the way we want it to," Hernandez said, "but in terms of the second 'Hostel,' I think it's really going to turn out the way we want it to. [Writer/director] Eli [Roth] is really trying to amp it up, if that's at all possible, because the first one is really horrific and gruesome, but he's working hard to make [it gorier]." The second flick will deal with female guests (Heather Matarazzo, Bijou Phillips and Lauren German) taking a room at the horrific hostel chain, and Hernandez thinks that twist will put a different slant on things. "A lot of the stuff that happened with Paxton and Josh [from the original movie] people considered sort of sexist and misogynistic, so it's going to be interesting to see what the women do," he insisted, adding that if his character does return, it won't be a problem for Hernandez to wear something over his hand to help CGI artists remove his "missing" fingers in post-production. "Duct tape," he laughed. "Duct tape fixes everything." With the studio insisting that April 2007 is a firm release date, and Hernandez searching for an opening, Roth is currently on the Prague set slicing and dicing it all together.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Trailer for Hostel: Part II is in German
Source: Variety

Lionsgate will release the trailer for Hostel: Part II in German, reports Variety. The trailer debuts tonight on MTV and bows in 3000+ theaters on Friday with the release of Saw III.

The "Hostel" sequel will be in English and is set in Prague, where Czech is the language of choice. So why German?

"German is more guttural and harsh," said Lionsgate co-president of marketing Tim Palen. "I think a lot of people will be taken aback, but with the success of the first 'Hostel,' there will be no confusion as to whether the movie is in English."

Palen said the trailer makes the film seem more European and exotic. It's also a nod to the anti-American sentiment sweeping Europe and beyond.

Teaser Trailer here.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

'Hostel: Part II' Will Be 'Far More Disturbing,' Eli Roth Reports
Roth reveals details from sequel's set; admits he's screamed like a little girl.
Source: MTV

Not too long ago, Eli Roth's guy-next-door looks could easily be mistaken for any thirtysomething film geek, over-caffeinated mall walker, or even drummer-for-hire — a credential mix-up at the last MTV Movie Awards had him walking the red carpet largely unnoticed, wearing a nametag meant for Gnarls Barkley's drummer. Then came "Hostel," an icepick to the eyeball of every paying customer, which had half running for the bathroom holding their mouths and others longing for a return trip to the dankest, most damnable dungeons of Slovakia. Suddenly, no discussion on the future of horror would be complete without discussing the Boston-born governor of gore.

This past weekend, millions watched the bizarre German-language teaser trailer that Roth released as a first look at "Hostel: Part II," one of 2007's most anticipated releases. Now, with an April opening in place and his favorite holiday in mind, Roth checked in from the set of the sequel to give us some never-before-revealed details, the story behind the trailer and why he's hoping that he'll soon be mistaken once again — this time, for Scott Baio.

MTV: The "Hostel: Part II" trailer played before "Saw III" this weekend, and now it's all over the Internet. So how's the filming going?

Eli Roth: Well, this is our last week of shooting in Prague, and then we're going to Iceland next week, and then I start editing after that. It's been a bloody good time, I'll tell you that. The big question that everyone is asking is: How are you going to top the first one, in terms of gore and scare? After what we've shot here, there's no question that this movie will be far more disturbing than the first one.

MTV: In this movie, you're going to have three girls sucked into the "Hostel" underground. Tell us about the actresses and their characters.

Roth: Heather Matarazzo — she was in "Welcome to the Dollhouse" and "Princess Diaries" — she plays this girl who's a bit of a space cadet, who is in her own world, but she plays her with this wonderful manic energy that has these extreme highs and lows. You just know she's on some kind of antidepressant. And Bijou Phillips — I think people know her more for her reputation than they do for her acting, even though she has been in "Bully" and a number of films — she's so unbelievably funny and so sharp and so tough; it's horrifying watching horrible things happen to her. Then there's Lauren German, who most people don't know by name, but they know her as the girl who blew her head off in "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" remake. She's actually really funny, and so sweet and so likeable and vulnerable. But then she gives a performance that is at that level, even more intense than she was for those five minutes she was in "Chainsaw" — she's like that for 45 minutes here.

MTV: According to many published synopses, the girls get lured into the world of torture by a male model. Any truth to that?

Roth: No. IMDb is a fount of misinformation. Guys are going to be lured by hot girls anywhere, but pretty girls are not going to be lured away by some hot guy, because if you're a pretty girl you can meet hot guys anywhere. What is actually happening is that the girls are in Rome in the beginning of the movie, and they're getting harassed pretty badly by guys, and so they're lured away by the allure of beautiful spas in Slovakia. It's a safe haven from guys, and all the harassment and near-date-rape experiences that they're having while in Italy. And let's just say they would have been a lot better off staying at home.

MTV: You've also said we're going to get a bit deeper into the torture organization. How so?

Roth: The film is also following two guys who go through this experience to kill somebody. And we know them really well, and they are very, very likeable and they're very normal. It seems like there's nothing psycho about them, except they are looking for some excitement in their life because they are bored. ... That's going to be a parallel story. We see it from the girl's perspective and we see it from the client's perspective. We inter-cut both stories until they all meet in this horrible place. So, we're going to learn everything about the organization, all the minutiae of it.

MTV: The first "Hostel" contained an unusual mix of torture, nudity and little kids. So, tell us: What's going on with the Bubble Gum Gang this time around?

Roth: Let me tell you, the Bubble Gum Gang are back, and they're nastier than ever. The kids play a big part of this movie; it just gets really sick and dark with the kids. We filmed some horrible, sick stuff with the children, and I think that's going to be the most shocking and upsetting part of the movie, but the kids are so much fun. They're so funny and they are fluent in speaking Ali G, and I taught them all Borat. So you'd see these 5-year-old gypsy kids who only speak Czech, and they'd be going: "My sister is number-one prostitute in all Kazakhstan!" It was great.

MTV: As any horror fan knows, the number-one rule is that you can't kill a little kid onscreen. But I'm thinking you're the type of guy who might not follow that rule.

Roth: [He laughs.] Let's just say I broke one of the oldest horror movie rules! The first was really inspired by all those images that you saw coming out of Iraq with torture. And this one is much more about the new fear, which I think is the killer next door, that people are terrified of the psycho killer. It's that guy who stands next to you in church, who babysits your kids and coaches Little League, who has never done anything wrong, but has something inside them that makes them do something horrible.

MTV: Why is the trailer in German?

Roth: That came from Tim Palen, the marketing head at Lionsgate. He said, "We should do something in German or Slovak," and he wrote the trailer and sent it to me. ... It's based on a scene from the movie. You can now go in, and we will see how a person picks the tools for their [torture] room; it's called the checkout room. All the tools are on a wall, and you see number one, number two, number seven, number 12; that scene in the script is what sparked Tim's idea. He was like, "I want to do a teaser trailer, a variation of that tool checkout."

MTV: Last time, producer Quentin Tarantino helped you out with some great torture ideas. What's his input been this time around?

Roth: Well, Quentin was actually really busy on [the "Grindhouse" movie] "Death Proof" this time. ... His main comments about the script this time were, "I couldn't put it down."... There really wasn't that much, gore-wise, that Quentin added this time around, but there was one instrument in particular that he suggested I use, which plays a key part in one of the torture scenes.

MTV: Jay Hernandez recently said that he hadn't filmed any scenes yet, and that he wasn't sure if his schedule would allow it. Will you be able to get him in?

Roth: He's in. We're definitely doing it. We're wrapping in Prague now, and then we're going to Iceland, and then I have to wait until Jay has a break — which could be Thanksgiving — and we'll have a block of time where we can shoot the scenes where we need Jay. We're going to shoot Jay in a chunk, probably in one week, so it's going to be tough for him, but it's worth it.

MTV: What are you shooting in Iceland?

Roth: We're shooting some spa scenes — if you go to BlueLagoon.com, that's the location. I love Iceland. I had the Icelandic character in the first one, and I just look for any excuse [to go] there and have someone else pay for it.

MTV: Halloween's here, and nobody's a bigger horror geek than you. Give us five scary movies to put us in the mood.

Roth: Well, for Halloween, you can't go wrong with "The Shining"; it's just so creepy and disturbing, and only Stanley Kubrick could make a little kid riding on a big wheel around a hallway absolutely terrifying. Number two, I'd say "Cannibal Holocaust" (1980), because it's the movie that "The Blair Witch Project" stole everything from, and there's a wonderful DVD that came out. To horror fans, it's considered the nastiest, most hard-core violent film ever made.

You need "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" with Leatherface — the original "Chainsaw." I love the '70s look, I love the grain and the zooms, and just the way Leatherface looks — that's one of the best Halloween costumes of all time. Number four would be Sam Raimi's "Evil Dead," the original, because it just shows you what you can do when you have a camera. He made that movie when he was 21 years old, and when you think of him making "Spider-Man" now, it's just incredible.

Then there's a really disturbing horror film — people have to see "Audition" (1999) if they haven't seen it. It's like an hour-and-20-minutes of buildup, so you have to be patient if you're going to watch it, but the last 15 minutes are excruciating. ... I screamed like a little girl when I saw that movie.

MTV: When you were a little kid, what did you dress up as for Halloween?

Roth: When I was 11, I went out as Alex from "A Clockwork Orange," and as I got older I'd pick more obscure costumes. One year I went as Bunny Boy from the movie "Gummo." He walks around in his underwear with a dead cat, and I marched in the Greenwich Village parade covered head-to-toe in mud with a dead cat! I remember, out of thousands and thousands of people who all went dead silent when they saw me, one person was like "Hey, 'Gummo'!" That one guy really, really got it. I've also gone out as Ben Stiller in "There's Something About Mary." ... I'll take a tissue and drip it in egg whites, and have it dripping off my left ear. There's also been Gaear Grimsrud, Peter Stormare's character from "Fargo." I streaked my hair with white, and I walked around with a leg like I had just put Steve Buscemi through a wood chipper.

MTV: So, what is one of the masters of horror going as for Halloween this year?

Roth: You know, I've spent the last two weeks absolutely covered from head to toe in fake blood. I might just go as Scott Baio — I found the yellow Izod shirt that Scott Baio wears in "Zapped!" (1982), and I think if I do that and blow dry my hair the right way and wear white sneakers and some acid-washed jeans, I just might have a chance. To make it complete, I'd have to have a Playboy Playmate on my arm. But then again, I will be in Iceland — so there's a good chance that I could find someone.

Skeleton FilmWorks