Magnetic Fields

Started by kotte, October 06, 2004, 07:44:43 AM

kotte

They played in Sweden last sunday. Great!

Anyone listened to '69 love songs'?

bigperm

Yes, and I recommend this:
Safe As Milk

rustinglass

damn, I was going to start this thread.
I'm gonna see them live on the 20th. I love both the albums "69 love songs" and "i".
They are really great.

What did they play, kotte?
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

Sleuth

I only like the ones with the girl singing.  I don't think they've done anything better than 100,000 Fireflies (Josephine comes close).
I like to hug dogs

kotte

I work at the theater they played so didn't get to listen to the whole thing.

But I can tell you from what I heard and what people told me, it was a quality concert all the way through.

Don't you think the line 'I don't know if you're beautiful I love you too much' is fucking great??

Quote from: kotteI work at the theater they played so didn't get to listen to the whole thing.

But I can tell you from what I heard and what people told me, it was a quality concert all the way through.

Don't you think the line 'I don't know if you're beautiful I love you too much' is fucking great??

if he loves him, he's beautiful, no?
context, context, context.

kotte

Quote from: cronopio
Quote from: kotteI work at the theater they played so didn't get to listen to the whole thing.

if he loves him, he's beautiful, no?

In a shallow crappy world, yes. But in the romantic world I live in there's no relevance in that.

Sleuth

"you won't be happy with me/ but give me one more chance/ you won't be happy anyway"
I like to hug dogs

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

meatwad

did anybody read this article on stephen merritt?

http://www.slate.com/id/2141421/nav/tap1/

modage

i would like to say that i have gotten obsessive about this band in the past few months.  i'd heard only a little before this past christmas when my cousin gave me Holiday.  at first it seemed terrible.  monotonous, too much of the same, just did nothing for me.  but it didnt MAKE me turn it off either, it allowed itself to be in the background without bothering me.  so i kept putting it on just because it was something new.  then i started to really like about 3 of the songs: Desert Island, Deep Sea Diving Suit and Strange Powers.  so the disc got played more and more until i had more favorites.  then it was time to dig deeper. 

i realized that i already had a ripped copy of the Get Lost album from that same cousin the previous summer.  i dug into that and started to love The Desperate Things You Made Me Do and All The Umbrellas In London but overall i wasnt as happy with it as Holiday.  so i decided to give them one more shot and downloaded 69 Love Songs.  much too sprawling to be absorbed in a single sitting (atleast for the first few months) i tried to make it through disc one dozens of times while finding many of my most favorite MF songs to be on there.  as the months went by i have continued to play them almost exclusively even discovering many gems on discs 2 and 3 of 69 Love Songs as well as appreciating the other two albums as a whole. 

when i try to listen to something else, i inevitably find myself returning to the Magnetic Fields as a comfort.  because they're hitting the 'spot' like nobody has in a long time.  i can't wait to hear their other albums and i just can't believe i didnt find them sooner.  in short, they are now one of my favorite bands. highly recommended to anyone with enough patience to find them. 
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

tpfkabi

did they have music on Pete & Pete?
seems like i remember seeing their name in the credits.
i say 'they,' but it may be mostly one person. i don't know.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

modage

wow, good call.  another reason i love them/him.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1166114/
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

noyes

punk rock love, punk love (punk) punk love (love).
south america's my name.