Author Topic: Elaine May  (Read 1412 times)

godardian

• The Master of Two Worlds
  • Respect: +6
    • Trappings
Elaine May
« on: February 22, 2006, 11:01:55 PM »
Hoberman writes about her oeuvre (comprised of four films):

http://www.villagevoice.com/film/0608,hoberman,72259,20.html

...I'm realizing that all the numerous negatives I've heard about Ishtar have been from media controlled and populated by those most likely to be hurt by its budget overruns and lack of profits, and therefore more likely to focus on its financial failure than its actual merits and/or flaws. It now resides alongside Heaven's Gate on my list of "film follies" to check out when given the opportunity.

I did, however, see A New Leaf on afternoon television years ago, and I remember thinking it was quite wonderful. I'd have to see it again, but I'd be happy for the chance.

No DVD of either of those, of course, and I haven't seen either of the others (Heartbreak Kid and Mikey and Nicky). Has anyone?
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

soixante

• The Magic Flight
  • Respect: +5
Re: Elaine May
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2006, 11:26:32 PM »
I've seen 'em all.  Ishtar is better than its reputation.  Plus, it is funny to see Warren Beatty play a guy who's awkward around ladies.

Mikey and Nicky is great.  It is very much like a Cassavetes film.  Very gritty.

Heartbreak Kid is hilarious.  Charles Grodin plays a jerk who falls in love with Cybill Shepard while he's on his honeymoon.  This is the ultimate Charles Grodin performance.

A New Leaf is funny.  I've only seen it once a long time ago.

All of her films are worth checking out.
Music is your best entertainment value.

cine

• Pretttttyyy, Pretttyyyyy Pretty Good
  • Admin
  • Respect: +281
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2006, 11:34:15 PM »
cool thread, everyone just buy this:

SoNowThen

• Respect: +9
    • 24/30 Cinema
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2006, 01:52:16 AM »
I just watched Mikey And Nickey, it was solid. The dvd seems worth the money...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

eward

• Respect: +11
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2006, 12:05:09 PM »
yeah mikey and nicky is the only one ive seen, and its worth owning just for cassavetes alone (but then again i'm slightly biased).  great film.

modage

• Admin
  • Respect: +698
    • Floating Heads
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2006, 03:01:54 PM »
well if there are any elaine may fans in nyc with $75 burning a hole in their pockets...

http://www.filmlinc.com/special/events/elainemay.html
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

SiliasRuby

• Spits Hyperbole Like Nobody's Business
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2009, 03:31:35 PM »
I really love Elaine May. She Made 'Heaven Can Wait' into what could have been rediculously cheesy into something all together classic. She did the same thing with 'the birdcage'. I've seen 'Heartbreak Kid', one of Charles Grodin's best performances ever. I can't find 'A New Leaf' anywhere. 'Ishtar' is fucking awesome!(<------Marquee) I don't care what anyone says. It really is comedy gold and I'm glad I have it on DVD, if only it is on region 2. I'm going to pop in 'Mikey and Nicky' now.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

SiliasRuby

• Spits Hyperbole Like Nobody's Business
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2009, 01:57:36 PM »
'Mikey and Nicky' is wonderful and my favorite Elaine May film and it feels more of a Cassavetes film. Extremely different than her others which were comedies but it packs just as much punch as her others. This film I really had a personal connection with and the friendship seems extremely genuine. Nicky really has a unique case of being paranoid and a self loathing nariscist. Some scenes feel so real because possibly of the relationship between Falk and Cassavetes.  A film to be remembered and enjoyed, one of the few crime movies that has real heart and surprising.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

DMCA & Copyright | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy