Author Topic: Room to Dream: David Lynch and the Independent Filmmaker  (Read 10128 times)

Pozer

• The Master of Two Worlds
  • Respect: +135
Re: Room to Dream: David Lynch and the Independent Filmmaker
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2006, 01:58:21 PM »
Despite you seeing way better Lynch interviews, it was in fact free, so maybe you should just judge it on that.  Cause there was some inspiration - solely from the Lynch point, but still.  Loved the bits pointed out by P.  "Paint with a fine brush, Eric."  God awful scene though.  Stuff I've shot with my Sony Mini DV Handycam looks a lazillion times better than that.  All in all, a nice Saturday morning watch.

p.s. I think I'm the last one here to get this, but if anyone happened to be wonderin' - they're still givin' 'em.  Ordered mine two weeks ago and got it Thursday.

matt35mm

• The Master of Two Worlds
  • Bony old behind.
  • Respect: +449
    • My Films on Vimeo
Re: Room to Dream: David Lynch and the Independent Filmmaker
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2006, 03:14:45 PM »
Despite you seeing way better Lynch interviews, it was in fact free, so maybe you should just judge it on that.
Okay then. I've seen way better free Lynch interviews.

The inspirational bits were things that I've heard him say before--actually, I think I recall him saying in this interview, "As I always say..." before his points. I always like to listen to Lynch talk, but this was a pretty insignificant interview that only felt like a set up to tell me how awesome Avid is.

Advertisements are always free. That doesn't mean that I don't have the right to judge when I feel that I'm being poorly advertised to.  Yes, it was obvious to me before I even popped it in that Lynch was just there to lure me into watching a long advertisement for Avid.  I wasn't expecting significance.  But I was a little surprised by the almost condescending nature of the whole thing.  It seems to be geared towards people who aren't aware of any element of digital filmmaking, or at least aren't aware of non-linear editing software.  I thought it was going to be a bit beyond the whole, "Hey you!  Do you have interesting ideas for movies?  WELL THEN, we've got good news for you..."

I'm not that angry about it.  Just disappointed.  Advertisements can and ought to be better than this, even if they are free.

DMCA & Copyright | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy