Author Topic: Lars Von Trier  (Read 59411 times)

Jeremy Blackman and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

wilder

• Respect: +1586
Re: Lars Von Trier
« Reply #330 on: May 13, 2014, 12:38:11 PM »
Lars Von Trier Writing Detroit-Set Horror Movie Plus Watch 7-Minute Featurette About Restoration Of His Early Films
via The Playlist

According to Danish filmmaker Kristian Levring (whose "The Salvation" starring Mads Mikkelsen is premiering at Cannes), who worked as a script consultant on "Antichrist," von Trier is going horror. "I've always thought that Lars would be able to do a fantastic horror movie," he told Soundvenue (via Indiewire). "And I’ve told him so many times throughout the years, and in the end he said: 'I want you to stop talking about it, so I’ll write it for you instead.' "

"It takes place in Detroit, and then there is the wordplay between Detroit and 'destroyed,' " Levring added, noting that von Trier has started writing the script. "It’s about a man fighting his inner demons. That doesn’t tell that much, but that’s because we haven’t gotten any further so far." He added "....it’s real horror. Of course, there is a psychological aspect, but it’s a real horror movie. That’s what we’re aiming for, at least."

So yes, that sounds pretty promising even if it's all in very early stages (the working title is "Detroit" which is likely to change). Of course, von Trier has gone down the path of the supernatural before, most notably with the Danish series "The Kingdom." But don't get too excited about von Trier shooting the movie in America. Even though he has set previous films like "Dogville" and "Manderlay" between U.S. borders, the director's fear of flying will likely find him using a workaround for whatever he's cooking up (though if there's anyone we'd love anyone to shoot the decaying city on location, it would be von Trier).

And speaking of "The Kingdom," it's one of a handful of early works by von Trier that are getting digitally restored. Production company Zentropa has released a seven-minute featurette diving into the lengthy process of scanning the original film strips and re-editing the movies from scratch in order to preserve the director's projects (trivia: "The Kingdom" was recorded on DigiBeta, a now defunct format). Check out the video below and pray those folks doing the work get upgraded to an office with windows.

MacGuffin

• Admin
  • Respect: +638
« Reply #331 on: May 19, 2014, 02:32:27 PM »
+1
Lars von Trier to Direct an Action Film?
Source: IndieWire

With Danish director Kristian Levering stating last week that fellow Dane Lars von Trier is writing a Detroit-set horror film for Levering to direct, more and more hints are being dropped about the filmmaker's other upcoming projects. After a brief, non-speaking appearance at the Berlin Film Festival's "Nymphomaniac" press conference, its director von Trier has vowed not to discuss his plans with the media, and has actually stuck with his word.

Veteran producer Peter Aalbaek Jensen recently told Screen Daily that von Trier is planning on moving into yet another genre: action. With brief flashes of action in his horror and disaster in previous efforts such as "The Kingdom," "Antichrist" and "Melancholia," it seems somehow fitting that the famed auteur would move full throttle into the action genre.

Lars von Trier's films have always flirted on the fringes or morphed genre, most clearly in "Melancholia," which actually divides itself into two parts to justify the jump from melodrama to apocalypse. Jensen said of the director's intentions, "He is talking about making a Trier version of an action movie." At this point, it can only be speculated about what exactly he would do with a "Trier version of an action movie," but be prepared, as always, for his distinctive flavor.
“Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art.” - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

wilder

« Reply #332 on: May 27, 2014, 02:14:22 PM »
Lars Von Trier’s Director’s Cut Of ‘Nymphomaniac Vol 2’ Will Premiere At The Toronto International Film Festival
via The Playlist

With news arriving recently that Lars von Trier is writing a Detroit-set horror film and contemplating an action movie, he's not quite finished with "Nymphomaniac." Yes, the film has been released, but the director's cut is still brewing. He showed off Volume 1 of his vision at the Berlin Film Festival in February, and while we thought he might bring ‘Volume 2’ to Cannes, it looks like it will instead be crossing the ocean.

Montages reports that Zentropa will be premiering "Nymphomaniac Volume 2" at the Toronto International Film Festival this fall (consider this the first confirmed film for the fest). And you'll want to have a seat for this one. This version reportedly runs one hour longer than the theatrical cut, bringing the running time to over three hours (both director's cuts combined total just under five and a half hours).

wilder

« Reply #333 on: July 07, 2014, 02:40:21 PM »

Axolotl

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Respect: +314
« Reply #334 on: September 01, 2014, 09:36:58 AM »
+1
Doing tv again.
English language, shooting in 2016.

Called The House that Jack Built

jenkins

• The Master of Two Worlds
  • Respect: +1356
    • Neon Burrito
« Reply #335 on: November 29, 2014, 02:03:25 PM »
+1
Sober von Trier fears he's finished
After three years of silence, Lars von Trier has finally decided to go back on record to say that almost all of his films have been written on a high of alcohol and drugs. Now sober, the director doubts that he can create anything of value.
The manuscript for his ‘Dogville’ film was written during a 12-day high. His latest film ‘Nymphomaniac’ is the only one that has been written while sober – and it took him 18 months.

http://politiken.dk/kultur/filmogtv/ECE2469149/sober-von-trier-fears-hes-finished/
Every perspective is an act of creation.

Tictacbk

• The Magic Flight
  • Respect: +178
« Reply #336 on: November 30, 2014, 01:28:14 PM »
Lars Von Trier says a lot of stupid shit.  This falls into that category.

jenkins

• The Master of Two Worlds
  • Respect: +1356
    • Neon Burrito
« Reply #337 on: November 30, 2014, 01:43:29 PM »
+1
his tendency to be self-critical in an exaggerated way is similar to this clickhole article and i continue to relate to him as a human being on a quest of like personal understanding thinger
Every perspective is an act of creation.

KJ

• The Magic Flight
  • Respect: +215
« Reply #338 on: September 29, 2017, 03:56:49 PM »
+3

This is my favorite youtube clip so I thought i'd translate it:
"This installation stands here and reminds me of Bergman and his cock. His cock was a big problem to him because he was always horny like hell. And he was aging as well. So we can only assume that this very old Bergman sat somewhere and jerked off like a lunatic... at Fårö, in his monastery, in his amazing library and in his damn cinema. In the midst of the Swedish cultural heritage, with all his power, this old idiot sat somewhere and masturbated like crazy. He said it himself, that it was hard to get old and still be as horny. Then I cannot imagine that he didn't jerked off. It is completely impossible to imagine... But maybe we shouldn't emphasize this on a television program about Bergman. But Bergman himself thought it was important. Maybe he had a very small seminal vesicle, which meant that he had to wait several days to get enough sperm to get a ejaculation that was noticeable, the poor old man...
*Silence*
...but he meant a lot to me, the dumb idiot."

Lars Von Trier says a lot of stupid shit.  This falls into that category.

Jeremy Blackman

• Admin
  • Respect: +1268
« Reply #339 on: Today at 11:56:35 AM »
Quote from: Björk
i am inspired by the women everywhere who are speaking up online to tell about my experience with a danish director . because i come from a country that is one of the worlds place closest to equality between the sexes and at the time i came from position of strength in the music world with hard earned independence , it was extremely clear to me when i walked into the actresses profession that my humiliation and role as a lesser sexually harassed being was the norm and set in stone with the director and a staff of dozens who enabled it and encouraged it . i became aware of that it is a universal thing that a director can touch and harass his actresses at will and the institution of film allows it . when i turned the director down repeatedly he sulked and punished me and created for his team an impressive net of illusion where i was framed as the difficult one . because of my strength , my great team and because i had nothing to loose having no ambitions in the acting world , i walked away from it and recovered in a years time . i am worried though that other actresses working with the same man did not . the director was fully aware of this game and i am sure of that the film he made after was based on his experiences with me . because i was the first one that stood up to him and didn't let him get away with it

and in my opinion he had a more fair and meaningful relationship with his actresses after my confrontation so there is hope

let's hope this statement supports the actresses and actors all over

let's stop this

there is a wave of change in the world

kindness

björk

Jeremy Blackman [15|Oct 01:24 PM]:   "Björk also states that she's 'sure' that the film that the director made next 'was based on his experiences with me'"
Jeremy Blackman [15|Oct 01:24 PM]:   That would be Dogville
Jeremy Blackman [15|Oct 01:25 PM]:   Which *spoiler* includes a lot of sexual harassment and assault

Drenk [15|Oct 02:29 PM]:   I think it will change a little bit for the better.
Drenk [15|Oct 02:30 PM]:   Less impunity.
Drenk [15|Oct 02:32 PM]:   Then men in power think they can do everything they want. And misoginy won't go.
Reelist [15|Oct 02:33 PM]:   Before things get better, Woody Allen needs to die
Drenk [15|Oct 02:38 PM]:   The thing is, having read articles about it, I know he hasn't been judged seriously, but I can't say I absolutely believed he raped his step-daughter.
Drenk [15|Oct 02:39 PM]:   I know Dylan Farrow says so. But adults thinking they have been raped in their childhood, fabricating the memory, is a thing.
Drenk [15|Oct 02:40 PM]:   I'm not defending Allen. I just don't know.
Drenk [15|Oct 02:42 PM]:   I don't even think it's about believing everyone. Victims should feel free to talk and should be taken seriously. But they can't talk because they risk their work/aren't taken seriously.
Reelist [15|Oct 06:42 PM]:   That's the real shift that's been happening, because Harvey Weinstein's victims were such high profile people
Drenk [15|Oct 06:45 PM]:   Yes, but Harvey Weinstein was such an extreme version of what is happening almost everywhere...and even *that* lasted for years...Even if victims will feel like people are on their side now, I think it won't cause a seismic change.
Drenk [15|Oct 06:46 PM]:   About it, I read a lot about the "crisis in masculinity". It's a real issue. I mean, Trump hasn't only been elected because people are racist.
Drenk [15|Oct 07:05 PM]:   Of course, it's not surprising that Donald Trump was very happy to brag about sexual harassment. On tape.
Drenk [15|Oct 07:06 PM]:   I remember watching him a few days before the election. He looked exhausted. And I thought: "Yeah. What's the point. It's the end. He's lost."
Drenk [15|Oct 07:06 PM]:   Well. He didn't.
Drenk [15|Oct 07:07 PM]:   It's still hard to believe that it happened. Something that I thought could definitely not happened.
Drenk [15|Oct 07:07 PM]:   Something insane.
Drenk [15|Oct 07:07 PM]:   It probably will never make sense.
Lottery [15|Oct 08:22 PM]:   That shit will puzzle me forever. Says more about his voters than anything, really. So perhaps it's not that puzzling, they're just shit people.

KJ [15|Oct 09:29 PM]:   that björk post freaks me out. trier is my favorite director after pta, and I have idolized him and watched his films over and over. so it definitely feels weird and unexpected to read that post. I don't know how to react.
KJ [15|Oct 10:47 PM]:   I will follow the news about it, because it should become a huge deal here in sweden and danmark. it's just so fucking weird. I always thought he seemed like a nice guy beneath the media act.
KJ [15|Oct 10:51 PM]:   I understand why björk didn't continued acting after that experience. she has always been framed to be the one that was hard to work with in documentaries and articles about the filming. that must have been horrible.

Drenk [16|Oct 09:27 AM]:   I'm not surprised by LVT. An alcoholic in a position of power...

Drenk [17|Oct 08:49 AM]:   Bjork details what LVT did in a new fb post

Quote from: Björk
in the spirit of #metoo i would like to lend women around the world a hand with a more detailed description of my experience with a danish director . it feels extremely difficult to come out with something of this nature into the public , especially when immediately ridiculed by offenders . i fully sympathise with everyone who hesitates , even for years . but i feel it is the right time especially now when it could make a change . here comes a list of the encounters that i think count as sexual harassment :

1 after each take the director ran up to me and wrapped his arms around me for a long time in front of all crew or alone and stroked me sometimes for minutes against my wishes

2 when after 2 months of this i said he had to stop the touching , he exploded and broke a chair in front of everyone on set . like someone who has always been allowed to fondle his actresses . then we all got sent home .

3 during the whole filming process there were constant awkward paralysing unwanted whispered sexual offers from him with graphic descriptions , sometimes with his wife standing next to us .

4 while filming in sweden , he threatened to climb from his room´s balcony over to mine in the middle of the night with a clear sexual intention , while his wife was in the room next door . i escaped to my friends room . this was what finally woke me up to the severity of all this and made me stand my ground

5 fabricated stories in the press about me being difficult by his producer . this matches beautifully the weinstein methods and bullying . i have never eaten a shirt . not sure that is even possible .

6 i didnt comply or agree on being sexually harassed . that was then portrayed as me being difficult . if being difficult is standing up to being treated like that , i´ll own it .

hope

let´s break this curse

warmth

björk
"Hunger is the purest sin"

Jeremy Blackman

• Admin
  • Respect: +1268
« Reply #340 on: Today at 12:28:54 PM »
^ See above.

I guess I'm not totally surprised that Lars is/was such a creep. That doesn't make this less sad and disturbing, though. It feels especially horrible that Björk was his target. She and her work has meant a lot to me over the years, nearly as much as LVT's.

At the risk of viewing this through rose-colored glasses, I'm thinking about this part:

the director was fully aware of this game and i am sure of that the film he made after [Dogville] was based on his experiences with me . because i was the first one that stood up to him and didn't let him get away with it

and in my opinion he had a more fair and meaningful relationship with his actresses after my confrontation so there is hope

Dogville is the most hard-hitting, nuanced, empathy-producing film about sexual harassment and assault that I've ever seen. Is it possible that Lars was wrestling with his own horribleness and ended up self-loathing his way through that film?

It's like he wanted to view himself as Tom Edison, who had desires but believed he was noble. But Lars was actually more like Jack (the blind man). And of course Dogville is ultimately just as stinging in its indictment of Tom Edison. Dogville, by the end, is absolutely full of terrifying predatory men. That's basically the whole point of the movie.

I'm also reminded of Stellan Skarsgard in Nymphomaniac. That character seems like a caretaker but turns out to be a predator, which is such an ultimate betrayal. In the same way, a film director is supposed to take care of you and make you feel comfortable. When they turn out to be a predator, I can only imagine how that would feel seeing your safety net disappear, and you're in the hands of someone who just wants to use you.

Dogville and Antichrist are deeply feminist movies. Even Melancholia is feminist. (The men in that film are entitled, whiny, and completely useless.) And I keep thinking back to Bjork describing how strongly she pushed back against Lars and how she confronted him. I genuinely wonder how responsible she is for the creative trajectory of his career.
"Hunger is the purest sin"

DMCA & Copyright | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy