Author Topic: So What Now Then?  (Read 8773 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

oakmanc234

  • The Meeting with the Goddess
  • ***
  • Posts: 423
  • Respect: +3
What's next?
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2003, 11:20:54 PM »
0
I pretty much based that comment on what PTA said about your first instinct being to go in the other direction. I do consider his films to be very different but executed in the same brilliantly unconventional manner.

e.g. 'Hard Eight'-small-scale, Demme-ish drama.
      'Boogie Nights'-extravagant, Scorcese-ish porn epic.
      'Magnolia'-sprawling, Altman-like drama.
      'Punch-Drunk Love'-Sandler romance/drama/comedy/thriller etc.

       As you can see, there's not much in common.
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'

Duck Sauce

  • The Master of Two Worlds
  • *****
  • Posts: 1986
  • Respect: +4
Re: What's next?
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2003, 01:20:09 AM »
0
Quote from: oakmanc234
I pretty much based that comment on what PTA said about your first instinct being to go in the other direction. I do consider his films to be very different but executed in the same brilliantly unconventional manner.

e.g. 'Hard Eight'-small-scale, Demme-ish drama.
      'Boogie Nights'-extravagant, Scorcese-ish porn epic.
      'Magnolia'-sprawling, Altman-like drama.
      'Punch-Drunk Love'-Sandler romance/drama/comedy/thriller etc.

       As you can see, there's not much in common.


Ok thanks, for a moment there I thought there were more to the movies than the directors who inspired them.  :roll:

oakmanc234

  • The Meeting with the Goddess
  • ***
  • Posts: 423
  • Respect: +3
So what now?
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2003, 03:50:26 PM »
0
Don't get me wrong, PTA is his own director, in my opinion he's the most talented dude in the industry. I was just summarising the flicks the quickest way possible. No offense to you or PTA. Hell, PTA could do a film on fly spray and i'd still love it.
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'

Xixax

  • Electrician
  • *****
  • Posts: 2326
  • Respect: +7
    • http://maddancer.com
Re: So what now?
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2003, 03:52:40 PM »
0
Quote from: oakmanc234
Don't get me wrong, PTA is his own director, in my opinion he's the most talented dude in the industry. I was just summarising the flicks the quickest way possible. No offense to you or PTA. Hell, PTA could do a film on fly spray and i'd still love it.

That's how I feel about PTA's work. While I thought PDL was just so-so as movies go, the fact that it was Paul makes me love it regardless. Bring on the fly spray!
Quote from: Pas Rapport
I don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

Duck Sauce

  • The Master of Two Worlds
  • *****
  • Posts: 1986
  • Respect: +4
So What Now Then?
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2003, 06:17:25 PM »
0
Yeah, but saying that the movies are opposite or dont have much in common is a little crude. Not that his movies are all the same, but they seem to sway towards a more evolutionary path.

Link

  • The Vision Quest
  • **
  • Posts: 229
  • Respect: +3
So What Now Then?
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2003, 11:07:24 PM »
0
PTA has mentioned wanting to work with Juliette Binoche, Daniel Day Lewis (now more of a hot item probably, cuz of G.O.N.Y.), Robert De Niro, and of course, Sean Penn (whom he intended for Punch-Drunk Love).  It'd be interesting to see who he can get.

Pubrick

  • Admin
  • *****
  • Posts: 12170
  • on the not-face of it
  • Respect: +774
So What Now Then?
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2003, 11:12:54 PM »
0
Quote from: Duck Sauce
Yeah, but saying that the movies are opposite or dont have much in common is a little crude. Not that his movies are all the same, but they seem to sway towards a more evolutionary path.


why can't u be like this more often? ur making sense for christ's sake. good work kiddo.

now go screw up.
under the paving stones.

fulty

  • The Vision Quest
  • **
  • Posts: 175
  • Respect: 0
Re: So What Now Then?
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2003, 06:12:31 PM »
0
Quote from: cbrad4d
The million dollar question; What next for PTA?


So, I was channel surfing and landed in mid-commercial.  
It was something about a guy who had saved his company a million dollars a year by putting one less olive in each jar.  
But it was done in the same style and narration as Magnolia..!!  
What's up with that..??
Tinapop  

I used to be smart.... now I'm just stupid.

Duck Sauce

  • The Master of Two Worlds
  • *****
  • Posts: 1986
  • Respect: +4
Re: So What Now Then?
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2003, 07:09:09 PM »
0
Quote from: fulty
Quote from: cbrad4d
The million dollar question; What next for PTA?


So, I was channel surfing and landed in mid-commercial.  
It was something about a guy who had saved his company a million dollars a year by putting one less olive in each jar.  
But it was done in the same style and narration as Magnolia..!!  
What's up with that..??


um... because.... sex sells?

soixante

  • The Magic Flight
  • ****
  • Posts: 649
  • Respect: +5
So What Now Then?
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2003, 11:29:44 PM »
0
What next for PTA?

A few ideas --

A film version of Bob Fosse's Pippin, with Fosse's original choreography restored.

A Western with Clint Eastwood, written by Quentin Tarantino (I can dream, can't I?)

A Shakespeare adaptation (it worked wonders for Orson Welles).
Music is your best entertainment value.

UglyApe

  • The Call to Adventure
  • *
  • Posts: 10
  • Respect: 0
PTA
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2003, 12:31:14 AM »
0
I know PTA has expressed interest in doing a musical.   Judging by his "Paper Bag" Fiona Apple video, his musical would be the greatest damn musical ever.   I cream my pants at the thought of it.   Damn, now I need new pants.
I AM the Pumpkin King!

©brad

  • Admin
  • *****
  • Posts: 4516
  • Respect: +227
So What Now Then?
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2003, 05:01:20 AM »
0
From Greg's site:
A site reader met Michael Penn at the South by Southwest Festival & asked him what PTA is up to. Michael said that Paul is working on a new project & that he is in talks with him about doing the music!

sweet. glad to see the man is working a little faster and we won't have to wait another 2-3 years for another pta movie.

what about jon brion? on a side note, no one ever really talks about brion's score in Magnolia b/c of all the Aimee Mann music and everything, but I thought it was amazing, esp. like the part when Tom Cruise is on the cell phone with Janet.

New Feeling

  • The Vision Quest
  • **
  • Posts: 242
  • Respect: +4
So What Now Then?
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2003, 11:14:29 AM »
0
Quote from: cbrad4d
From Greg's site:
sweet. glad to see the man is working a little faster and we won't have to wait another 2-3 years for another pta movie.


I don't think this is too much to get excited about.  After all, we were hearing that Paul was going to work with Adam Sandler right after Magnolia was released and it still took 3 years for us to see the finished product.

And yeah, Magnolia has the best score ever.

bonanzataz

  • Electrician
  • *****
  • Posts: 2887
  • Respect: +13
So What Now Then?
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2003, 07:24:06 PM »
0
Even before I liked Magnolia, I thought that the score was awesome. It ties everything together nicely and is just so big and cinematic.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil’s rain we’ll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, ’cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, ’cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put ’em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put ’em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Duck Sauce

  • The Master of Two Worlds
  • *****
  • Posts: 1986
  • Respect: +4
So What Now Then?
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2003, 09:05:17 PM »
0
I hope Paul gets started working on something within the next 6 months to a year. Id just like to know that he is working, and there is for sure something to look forward to even if the movie isnt released till 2005. Plus its great to speculate and get all those tidbits.

 

DMCA & Copyright | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy