XIXAX Film Forum

There Will Be Blood - now with child/partner forum we call H.W.

depooter · 1689 · 367418

Tdog

• The Vision Quest
Reply #1680 on: September 13, 2019, 09:46:35 AM
'An account of how insane we once were' Ė Paul Thomas Anderson on There Will Be Blood
The director explains why he wonít quibble with his film being named best of the century Ė but what makes it really great is Daniel Day-Lewis

Do you think itís the best film of the century so far?
Who am I to argue? Iíll take it. Itís bragging rights for sure and I donít take it lightly. But, of course, I could rattle off a long list of great films from this century Ö that isnít hard to do.

Is there a competition in you to care about such things?
I suppose if it was second-best film of the century my first question would have been, ďWhatís No 1?Ē Itís very possible by the end of this year it could slip off the list entirely.

Is it the same film you would make today? Do you rewatch it?
I havenít seen it in a number of years, but last I saw it I was very proud and satisfied. It was the first time Iíd seen it where I had forgotten exactly what was going to happen next Ė and that was a wonderful experience. Having made something, itís very hard to get back to that sense of discovery. Everything really seems to fit together about it Ė the performances, the music, the landscape and the story, all the strands within the larger film, especially the theme of father and son Ė all work in unison. Itís also very robust, which I like. I know, as I think we all do, that what makes it really great is Daniel Day-Lewis.

Which moment or line makes you laugh most?
Everything Daniel does makes me giggle with pleasure and joy. His inventiveness, his devilishness, the joy he has in making such a maniacal portrait of a man unhinged. He has a great chemistry with Paul Dano.

Do you place more faith in capitalism or religion?
Well Ö Iím kind of equal opportunity confused and rooting for the best sides of both.

Do you get sick of the milkshake memes?
Nah. Too much is never enough.

Do you think the film feels like a yet more urgent prophecy today? Of bleeding the Earth dry, of allowing greed to triumph over human relations?
Unfortunately, this story doesnít seem to be going out of style any time soon. It would be nice to see it as science fiction one day. Or an account of how truly insane we all once were.

Donald Trump recently declined to quote any Bible verse he likes. Are there any the film refers to you think may speak to him specifically? Might The Art of the Deal make for an alternative title to There Will Be Blood?
I like all the quotes in the Bible, Old and New Testament, and yíknow, itís very private, Iím not gonna get into it Ö [WEARY FACE EMOJI] I canít quote the Bible from off the top of my head, I have to go rummage around like everyone else. Or, as Plainview says: ďI like all religions. I like them all. I donít belong to one church in particular.Ē

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/sep/13/how-insane-we-once-were-paul-thomas-anderson-there-will-be-blood

It was good up until the Trump question.

trytotell

• The Call to Adventure
Reply #1681 on: September 13, 2019, 10:51:44 AM
Great sidestepping, though. Why not ask how his next project is coming along? Same with that Anima Variety interview. I know he wouldn't give much away but still.

kingfan011

• The Call to Adventure
Reply #1682 on: September 13, 2019, 03:16:50 PM
I love it when an interviewer asks Paul a question that he doesn't really want to answer. Watching him deflect is pretty amusing.

eward

• The Master of Two Worlds
Reply #1683 on: September 13, 2019, 04:37:11 PM
CMBB as the best film of the 21st century has such a ring of obviousness to it though... I mean, I wouldn't even rank it as PTA's best from this century (probably third or maybe even fourth if we're being honest).
If I could move the night I would
And I would turn the world around if I could
There's nothing wrong with loving something you can't hold in your hand
You're sitting on the edge of the bed, smoking and shaking your head
Well there's nothing wrong with loving things that cannot even stand
Well there goes your moony man
With his suitcase in his hand
Every road is lined with animals
That rise from their blood and walk
Well the moon won't get a wink of sleep
If I stay all night and talk

Lewton

• The Road of Trials
Reply #1684 on: September 13, 2019, 07:20:45 PM
I like how he shouted out that deleted scene in his last answer.

I always liked Day-Lewisí delivery of that line. I remember wondering a long time ago why it was left out of the film...I suppose it doesnít tell us anything new about the characters, but thatís not necessarily a reason to delete a scene.

eward

Reply #1685 on: September 13, 2019, 08:47:19 PM
Which deleted scene are you referring to? That line is in the final film.

Lewton

• The Road of Trials
Reply #1686 on: September 13, 2019, 09:46:50 PM
Sorry about that. I mixed the two things up somehow.

For some reason I read it and immediately flashed back to that deleted campfire scene where it's Plainview, H.W., Eli and Abel. Where Plainview says, "Our church? Our church is called the Church of the World." (Just rewatched it now)

eward

Reply #1687 on: September 14, 2019, 11:26:19 AM
Ah yes. That scene is in one of the trailers, I believe. Seems this didn't have quite the mountain of scrapped material as Master or Vice.

Bleep