Author Topic: GQ's Top 10 Actors of Our Generation  (Read 4307 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

meatball

  • The Call to Adventure
  • *
  • Posts: 1
  • Respect: +1
GQ's Top 10 Actors of Our Generation
« on: February 27, 2005, 07:19:55 PM »
0
GQ Names The Top Ten Best Actors of Our Generation

GQ names the top ten greatest actors of our generation in its March issue (on newsstands nationwide February 22nd), including Oscar nominees Johnny Depp, Clive Owen, Don Cheadle, and Leonardo DiCaprio. Russell Crowe, Nicolas Cage, Benicio Del Toro, John C. Reilly, Gael Garcia Bernal, and Jim Carrey complete the first-ever GQ best actors list.

Russell Crowe: It is a blessing when a great actor just wants to make you feel: "You're watching something, and you're a cynical bloke or whatever, and you find yourself tearing up, and you've got goose bumps on your f***g skin, and you have a real f***g emotional reaction to what's going on, and just in the back of your mind when you walk out of the cinema, you go, 'Thanks, Russell-now I'll get back to whatever else I'm doing,'" he says.

Clive Owen: Hollywood loves a tuxedo-clad Brit; some are Bond material, the others just filler between Bruckheimer explosions. Owen is something else entirely: a steely, charming screen presence that almost never was. "When I got into drama school," he says, "I really felt like someone plucked me out of the life I was in and put me on the path to somewhere else."

Nicolas Cage: A jazz actor whose bizarre, inappropriate choices are almost always the best thing in the movie. Says Cage, "I think everything I've experienced has left its imprint on my mind and my soul, and it comes out in the work, whether I want it to or not."

Johnny Depp: It's tempting to see high-low calculation on Depp's resume -- a little art house here, a little Hollywood there -- but it's the lack of caution that continues to make him irresistible. Johnny does what Johnny wants to do. Want to move to France and start a family? Sure! Want to play Willy Wonka? Yeah! Want to make a Pirates sequel? Why not? In Johnny's hands, it all makes sense.

Benicio Del Toro: He has mastered the art of the early death (Snatch, The Pledge, and of course The Usual Suspects), and he's never pimped himself out to the romantic comedy. "I play wackos," he says. Why are they all wackos? "That's something you have to sit down for hours to make sense of."

John C. Reilly: The gut-level empathy Reilly quietly musters for his sidekicks, cuckolds, and second bananas defines his sixteen years on film. "I think of all the parts I play as the main characters in their own story," he says. "When you see great supporting performances, it's because people are committed to their little corner of the sky."

Don Cheadle: Whether he's undertaking the complex, profound lead in Hotel Rwanda or supporting roles in Traffic and Out of Sight or those NFL spots that made us reconsider the significance of five seconds, Cheadle demonstrates again and again that it's not what kind of billing you receive, it's what you do with the part once you've got it. "My career has never been like a jet taking off; it's a house built on sand," says Cheadle. "It's nervous-making for sure."

Gael Garcia Bernal: Bernal has eschewed crossover career moves in favor of riskier parts -- an amoral drag queen in Bad Education, the man who would be Che Guevara in The Motorcycle Diaries -- and proved that talent always translates. "I want to have an actor's life," he says. "It's not about having a successful career. I don't believe in 'making it.'"

Leonardo DiCaprio: As the sweet, stunted Arnie in What's Eating Gilbert Grape, DiCaprio played the part as if he were in an altered state, from the first frame to the last. And with his intricate Howard Hughes, both swaggering and fragile, he overcomes his perennial boyishness and proves himself the wildly searching, inventive actor we'd always hoped he was.

Jim Carrey: Carrey will go down as our greatest clown, of both the exuberant and sad varieties; in The Truman Show, and particularly in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, he's comically, heartbreakingly unaware of the malign puppeteers pulling his strings. Yet Carrey's ambitions lie beyond clowndom, and even the deep drama he's clearly capable of. As he says, "I will never be satisfied until I burst into a ball of flames on-camera and the director yells, 'He got it!'"

"The Top Ten Actors of Our Generation" appears in the March 2005 issue of GQ, on newsstands nationwide Tuesday, February 22nd. GQ is the leading men's general-interest magazine and part of Conde Nast Publications, Inc.

Myxo

  • The Master of Two Worlds
  • *****
  • Posts: 1768
  • Respect: +28
Re: GQ's Top 10 Actors of Our Generation
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2005, 11:45:33 PM »
0
Quote from: Meatball
Russell Crowe: It is a blessing when a great actor just wants to make you feel: "You're watching something, and you're a cynical bloke or whatever, and you find yourself tearing up, and you've got goose bumps on your f***g skin, and you have a real f***g emotional reaction to what's going on, and just in the back of your mind when you walk out of the cinema, you go, 'Thanks, Russell-now I'll get back to whatever else I'm doing,'" he says.


Like the man said. If you've got a period piece, Crowe's your man!

Quote from: Meatball
Clive Owen: Hollywood loves a tuxedo-clad Brit; some are Bond material, the others just filler between Bruckheimer explosions. Owen is something else entirely: a steely, charming screen presence that almost never was. "When I got into drama school," he says, "I really felt like someone plucked me out of the life I was in and put me on the path to somewhere else."


Uhm, no.

Quote from: Meatball
Nicolas Cage: A jazz actor whose bizarre, inappropriate choices are almost always the best thing in the movie. Says Cage, "I think everything I've experienced has left its imprint on my mind and my soul, and it comes out in the work, whether I want it to or not."


Cage might be great, but the guy works on far too many shitty movies.

Quote from: Meatball
Johnny Depp: It's tempting to see high-low calculation on Depp's resume -- a little art house here, a little Hollywood there -- but it's the lack of caution that continues to make him irresistible. Johnny does what Johnny wants to do. Want to move to France and start a family? Sure! Want to play Willy Wonka? Yeah! Want to make a Pirates sequel? Why not? In Johnny's hands, it all makes sense.


Perhaps the best and most underated actor of our generation.

Quote from: Meatball
Benicio Del Toro: He has mastered the art of the early death (Snatch, The Pledge, and of course The Usual Suspects), and he's never pimped himself out to the romantic comedy. "I play wackos," he says. Why are they all wackos? "That's something you have to sit down for hours to make sense of."


Agreed.

Quote from: Meatball
John C. Reilly: The gut-level empathy Reilly quietly musters for his sidekicks, cuckolds, and second bananas defines his sixteen years on film. "I think of all the parts I play as the main characters in their own story," he says. "When you see great supporting performances, it's because people are committed to their little corner of the sky."


:yabbse-thumbup:

Quote from: Meatball
Don Cheadle: Whether he's undertaking the complex, profound lead in Hotel Rwanda or supporting roles in Traffic and Out of Sight or those NFL spots that made us reconsider the significance of five seconds, Cheadle demonstrates again and again that it's not what kind of billing you receive, it's what you do with the part once you've got it. "My career has never been like a jet taking off; it's a house built on sand," says Cheadle. "It's nervous-making for sure."


He's great, but one of the top ten of our generation?

Quote from: Meatball
Gael Garcia Bernal: Bernal has eschewed crossover career moves in favor of riskier parts -- an amoral drag queen in Bad Education, the man who would be Che Guevara in The Motorcycle Diaries -- and proved that talent always translates. "I want to have an actor's life," he says. "It's not about having a successful career. I don't believe in 'making it.'"


Uhm, no.

Quote from: Meatball
Leonardo DiCaprio: As the sweet, stunted Arnie in What's Eating Gilbert Grape, DiCaprio played the part as if he were in an altered state, from the first frame to the last. And with his intricate Howard Hughes, both swaggering and fragile, he overcomes his perennial boyishness and proves himself the wildly searching, inventive actor we'd always hoped he was.


As much as I can't stand him, I agree here.

Quote from: Meatball
Jim Carrey: Carrey will go down as our greatest clown, of both the exuberant and sad varieties; in The Truman Show, and particularly in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, he's comically, heartbreakingly unaware of the malign puppeteers pulling his strings. Yet Carrey's ambitions lie beyond clowndom, and even the deep drama he's clearly capable of. As he says, "I will never be satisfied until I burst into a ball of flames on-camera and the director yells, 'He got it!'"


What the fuck? NO!

--

They left off alot important people. What exactly is "our generation" anyway? Are we talking about people in their mid 20s or 30s?

MacGuffin

  • Admin
  • *****
  • Posts: 22985
  • Respect: +639
Re: GQ's Top 10 Actors of Our Generation
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2005, 11:54:56 PM »
0
Quote from: Myxomatosis
Quote from: Meatball
Johnny Depp


Perhaps the best and most underated actor of our generation.


Ummm... Underrated by whom?
“Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art.” - Andy Warhol


Skeleton FilmWorks

Kal

  • The Master of Two Worlds
  • *****
  • Posts: 3286
  • Success is not a goal, it's a byproduct.
  • Respect: +190
Re: GQ's Top 10 Actors of Our Generation
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2005, 11:56:39 PM »
0
Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: Myxomatosis
Quote from: Meatball
Johnny Depp


Perhaps the best and most underated actor of our generation.


Ummm... Underrated by whom?


the academy?

Bethie

  • the golden goddess
  • The Return Threshold
  • ****
  • Posts: 939
  • you ever hear the story of mr. faded glory?
  • Respect: +10
GQ's Top 10 Actors of Our Generation
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2005, 11:58:12 PM »
0
Jude Law is not on that list
who likes movies anyway

cine

  • Pretttttyyy, Pretttyyyyy Pretty Good
  • Admin
  • *****
  • Posts: 5553
  • Respect: +281
GQ's Top 10 Actors of Our Generation
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2005, 12:03:27 AM »
0
who is jude law?

Bethie

  • the golden goddess
  • The Return Threshold
  • ****
  • Posts: 939
  • you ever hear the story of mr. faded glory?
  • Respect: +10
GQ's Top 10 Actors of Our Generation
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2005, 12:04:55 AM »
0
I heard he's one of the best
who likes movies anyway

cine

  • Pretttttyyy, Pretttyyyyy Pretty Good
  • Admin
  • *****
  • Posts: 5553
  • Respect: +281
GQ's Top 10 Actors of Our Generation
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2005, 12:06:02 AM »
0
oh

pete

  • The Master of Two Worlds
  • *****
  • Posts: 5516
  • freakin huge
  • Respect: +384
    • my site
GQ's Top 10 Actors of Our Generation
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2005, 12:15:29 AM »
0
what happened to tony leung or paul giamatti?
“Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot.”
- Buster Keaton

SHAFTR

  • The Master of Two Worlds
  • *****
  • Posts: 2337
  • You brought two too many
  • Respect: +4
    • rmlumley.com
GQ's Top 10 Actors of Our Generation
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2005, 12:16:13 AM »
0
or Orlando Bloom?
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

xerxes

  • The Magic Flight
  • ****
  • Posts: 688
  • Respect: +10
    • quotidian
Re: GQ's Top 10 Actors of Our Generation
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2005, 12:38:32 AM »
0
Quote from: Myxomatosis


Quote from: Meatball
Clive Owen: Hollywood loves a tuxedo-clad Brit; some are Bond material, the others just filler between Bruckheimer explosions. Owen is something else entirely: a steely, charming screen presence that almost never was. "When I got into drama school," he says, "I really felt like someone plucked me out of the life I was in and put me on the path to somewhere else."


Uhm, no.



uhm, yes.

Sigur Rós

  • The Master of Two Worlds
  • *****
  • Posts: 2794
  • The H.W. of Xixax...
  • Respect: +7
GQ's Top 10 Actors of Our Generation
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2005, 12:40:29 AM »
0
Quote from: SHAFTR
or Orlando Bloom?


...and now I'm suppose to say "Keanu Reeves?"

Gold Trumpet

  • The Master of Three Worlds
  • *****
  • Posts: 5783
  • Respect: +166
GQ's Top 10 Actors of Our Generation
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2005, 12:50:37 AM »
0
I'm surprised Nic Cage made it. He isn't trendy right now. That's the way these lists were suppose to work...

Pedro

  • The Master of Two Worlds
  • *****
  • Posts: 1863
  • Respect: +68
    • Facebook:  Aaron Green
GQ's Top 10 Actors of Our Generation
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2005, 12:50:54 AM »
0
FUCK russel crowe

Weak2ndAct

  • The Master of Two Worlds
  • *****
  • Posts: 1153
  • Self Portrait
  • Respect: +9
GQ's Top 10 Actors of Our Generation
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2005, 02:20:39 AM »
0
Quote from: SHAFTR
or Orlando Bloom?

I hope that's a joke.  Seriously.

 

DMCA & Copyright | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy