What happened to rock and roll?

Started by Gamblour., November 29, 2004, 01:30:51 PM

Gamblour.

Lately I've been on a giant kick of STP, Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins, and it's been reminding: what happened to rock? My favorite period of music is definitely all things early 90s through 95 (the end of great music for my youth): grunge, leftover 80s, Michael Jackson's Dangerous, Green Day, Oasis. 1995 was the end of great music (Foo Fighters were late in blooming with Colour and the Shape).

Mostly, all of this stems from being pissed off at how shitty radio rock is, Story of the Year, Chevelle, Three Doors Down, Nickleback, The White Stripes, it's the end of good rock. And I'm sick of all this delicate acoustic horseshit. Get some balls, play something aggressive.

So anyway, this thread does have a point, it's a nostalgic thread dedicated to the great early 90s era. Feel free to point out the bad things, but I don't think you could compare it to the late 90s obsession with boy bands and female leads. This era had grunge, gangsta rap, two great forms of music that have gone to shit.

I'm listening to Liquid Tension Experiment, with some great balls to the wall fucking rock.
WWPTAD?

RegularKarate

STP had like two good songs, Pearl Jam was a mixed bag, and Smashing Pumpkins were only about three songs better than STP.

However; I agree that there was much better rock in the early 90s.

Some of my favorite music came out of that time.  Fugazi, NIN, Nirvana... it really was a great time for music... but every decade has it's gems.

modage

Quote from: Gamblor not so gone.What happened to Rock N' Roll.

http://www.clearchannel.com/

they're pretty directly responsible for ruining the radio if thats what you mean.  otherwise, theres still just as much good stuff out there as ever, it just takes more finding.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

pete

pearl jam and smashing pumpkins weren't really that rocking.  they were pretty whiny and very hard to rock out to.

as far as like, bands that play on the radio go, I don't really listen to the radio, but I think those modest mouse dudes are pretty rockin', and they're fun to rock out to, so are the killers, mos def and the black jack johnson, and Cake's new album is cool too.

wow, did I just give away my un-hipness?

but David Garza is still the best.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

classical gas

I honestly thought that most people liked the Smashing Pumpkins.  I think them and Soundgarden were great early nineties bands, as far as the popular ones go; far better than Nirvana and STP.  And I can't stand Alice in Chains anymore.  PJ is decent.  

oh yeah, and the killers are terrible.

pete

smashing pumpkins were pretty cool, but gamblor was demanding balls.
I don't think the killers are terrible.  they're fun to dance to.
- Buster Keaton

Gamblour.

Thanks classical gas, you reminded me about Soundgarden and Alice in Chains. And Rage Against the Machine....damn I miss the hell out of them, I wish I could've seen them in concert.

Pearl Jam is a good one, they're like Live in that they could rock really hard, but lay back and be 'whiny', which wasn't bad at all. And Temple of the Dog was a great project too.
WWPTAD?

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: Gamblor not so gone.And Rage Against the Machine....damn I miss the hell out of them, I wish I could've seen them in concert.

Me too and I did see them in concert.  I think it was October 1999, Roseland, NYC.  One of the best shows I've ever been to.  Audioslave just ain't the same.

Quote from: Gamblor not so gone.Feel free to point out the bad things, but I don't think you could compare it to the late 90s obsession with boy bands and female leads. This era had grunge, gangsta rap, two great forms of music that have gone to shit.

The worst thing about gangsta rap is that, though there were a few who did it well (Dre, Snoop, Wu Tang, Tupac, Biggie [whom I never liked but everyone else seems to, so I'll include him]), there were a LOT who didn't, most of whom we've already forgotten.  And they all pushed the socially-conscious guys who reigned pre-The Chronic – guys like De La Soul, Tribe Called Quest, Public Enemy, etc. – to the side.  As a result, today, with the exception of Outkast, there's almost NO popular socially conscious hip-hop, it's almost all on indie labels with occasional play on MTV2.  Meanwhile, gangsta rap has morphed into post-gangsta bling (which has few worthwhile acts) and dirty south (which has even fewer... Outkast again and... and...).

Quote from: petepearl jam and smashing pumpkins weren't really that rocking.

Clearly, you have never seen Pearl Jam in concert.  I respect your mentioning of Black Jack Johnson but you can't tell me that Pearl Jam doesn't rock if you've never heard a 10 minute version of Porch played live.

Stefen

I'll tell you what happened to rock n roll. IT'S DEAD! After pete and samsong started their new band. Peep the new video (directed by me)
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

pete

my knowledge in music is so limited, but here's what I've gathered about the path of hip hop and rap.
there were a bunch of "socially conscious" rappers out there, but most of them are ditching because this "positive" shit is played out.  the neo-soul movement just ended up making the middle-class feel better about condescendingly lecturing to "bling bling" and "gangsta".
right now, mos def and kweli are going pretty strong.  kanye west is still pretty innovative.
oh yeah, hacksparrow, have you checked out "dungeon family"?  they're cool.

Quote from: hacksparrow
The worst thing about gangsta rap is that, though there were a few who did it well (Dre, Snoop, Wu Tang, Tupac, Biggie [whom I never liked but everyone else seems to, so I'll include him]), there were a LOT who didn't, most of whom we've already forgotten.  And they all pushed the socially-conscious guys who reigned pre-The Chronic – guys like De La Soul, Tribe Called Quest, Public Enemy, etc. – to the side.  As a result, today, with the exception of Outkast, there's almost NO popular socially conscious hip-hop, it's almost all on indie labels with occasional play on MTV2.  Meanwhile, gangsta rap has morphed into post-gangsta bling (which has few worthwhile acts) and dirty south (which has even fewer... Outkast again and... and...).

- Buster Keaton

Thrindle

Does this thread pertain to music in general?  I'm writing a paper tonight on a poetry anthology that I've created.  The poetry happens to be lyrics by a bunch of singer-songwriters.

It took me a couple of days to scrape through a bunch of shit before I got to some lyricists that had actual integrity.

Long story short, until music stops being about product placement, bling, and commercial success... we will continue to be fed bite-sized "earworm" bullshit.
Classic.

Pas

I think there's always coming out enough good music at any given time to occupy each and everyone of us. A really good CD will last like, at least a couple of months.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: Pas RapportI think there's always coming out enough good music at any given time to occupy each and everyone of us. A really good CD will last like, at least a couple of months.

But yeah, there's always good music around.  I think that what Gamblor is getting at is that popular rock just doesn't rock the same way and I definitely agree.  A lot of it has to do with having a personal cultural awakening at the time when a lot of the classic 90s bands hit, like the ones that Gamblor mentioned before.  Turning on the radio and hearing Rage followed by STP followed by Nine Inch Nails followed by Nirvana followed by Pearl Jam, etc. when you're just getting serious about music was amazing!  It's also very spoiling.  

These days, as far as rock goes, I'm reminded of what Chris Rock said about black leaders: "We had Martin Luther King, Malcolm X, and since then, it's been a bunch of substitute teachers."  Same for rock music.  In the last 5 years or so, we've been grabbing on to groups that fill the void for now but don't hold up against groups from 10 years ago.  Bands like The White Stripes, The Killers (if they hit like I think they might), The Darkness, Franz Ferdinand... they're alright but there's something missing still.

But maybe I'm just being a bitter old man about it.

Quote from: RegularKaratebut every decade has it's gems.

True but this will be the first full decade where the playing field has been opened WIDE.  10 years ago, it was just broadcast radio.  Now, the internet allows for more music to travel further distances faster, and there's satellite radio.  Word of mouth has become more important than ever before.  Those gems are going to be found, but not in the same way.

Quote from: ThrindleLong story short, until music stops being about product placement, bling, and commercial success... we will continue to be fed bite-sized "earworm" bullshit.

It's always been about commercial success, though.  They just realized they didn't have to try as hard anymore and it gets easier for them as the years go by.  

By the way, Thrindle, what lyricists did you wind up putting in that paper?

Finn

I think music isn't near as good as it was. Every now and then they'll be a very really good songs. But before the new millenium there was real rock and roll. Now hip hop and rap seem to take the place of any kind of rock music.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

RegularKarate