i feel the love.

and that's vertov...  just kidding.

-sl-
the one last hit that spent you...

RegularKarate

• Admin
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/regularkarate/
Reply #152 on: December 02, 2004, 02:33:27 PM
I'm sure he was just referencing the juxtaposition, not your avatar.

Slimepuppy

• The Call to Adventure
Reply #153 on: December 28, 2004, 05:07:17 PM
American History X.

Too many people here (in Finland) seem to ignore the latter half of the film and just idolize the white supremacy-aspect of the film. Scary stuff.
Got to see a guy ask my tattooist to get a big swastika done on his chest, unsurprisingly, exactly where Edward Norton's character had his...
That fit the definition of "asshole" about right?

It's a shame, 'cause I quite like the movie.

Also Spiderman. Especially the second one.
If only I could kill every person who has said that it's "the best comic movie ever, because, like, y'know, it's deep, 'cause he's, like, Peter Parker AND Spiderman, and, like, y'know, he has real problems."
Hyvässä indie-elokuvassa tulee olla zombi, moottorisaha ja ninjoja.

matt35mm

• The Master of Two Worlds
  • Bony old behind.
    • My Films on Vimeo
Reply #154 on: December 28, 2004, 07:45:51 PM
Quote from: Slimepuppy
American History X.

Too many people here (in Finland) seem to ignore the latter half of the film and just idolize the white supremacy-aspect of the film. Scary stuff.
Got to see a guy ask my tattooist to get a big swastika done on his chest, unsurprisingly, exactly where Edward Norton's character had his...
That fit the definition of "asshole" about right?

I agree.

Also Spiderman. Especially the second one.
If only I could kill every person who has said that it's "the best comic movie ever, because, like, y'know, it's deep, 'cause he's, like, Peter Parker AND Spiderman, and, like, y'know, he has real problems."

I very much disagree.  Whether or not you liked it, it doesn't have that "assholes like it" quality.  Thinking it's cool to get a swastika on your chest because of a movie is assholeish, but loving a movie for its focus on emotions, responsibility, and the person behind the silly costume is not assholeish at all, I argue.  I can understand rolling your eyes at someone who would call it "deep," but I don't think that makes them an asshole.

If anything, it's the "lay people" who thought the movie was "okay," and really the lovers of cinema (movie critics, people on this forum) that have been praising the movie as a huge step forward in the realm of superhero movies.

Slimepuppy

• The Call to Adventure
Reply #155 on: December 29, 2004, 03:17:34 AM
Ghost World was a huge step forward in the realm of comic book movies.
X-men (2) was a huge step forward in the realm of superhero movies.

Spiderman 2 was a massive step backwards.
Great actors and nice setpieces let down by substandard writing. The whole movie reeks of "eh, it's only a comic book movie"ism. Coincidences, deus ex machina, poor character motivations, the works. At no point did the film makers take the story seriously. If they don't care, why should I?
It was bigger and louder than the first film, and I can appreciate most people loving that, but I cringed through the entire movie watching good actors deliver inane lines in a paper-thin excuse for a plot.

Maybe asshole is too strong a word. Deluded? My problem is with the fact that people think it's deep when in fact it is anyting but.
It's like trying to learn the deeper meaning of Baudrillard by watching the Matrix film.

And to think, all the problems in that film could have been fixed with a pen and some paper...

matt35mm

• Bony old behind.
    • My Films on Vimeo
Reply #156 on: December 29, 2004, 04:26:07 AM
Ghost World was a huge step forward in the realm of comic book movies.
X-men (2) was a huge step forward in the realm of superhero movies.

Spiderman 2 was a massive step backwards.
Great actors and nice setpieces let down by substandard writing. The whole movie reeks of "eh, it's only a comic book movie"ism. Coincidences, deus ex machina, poor character motivations, the works. At no point did the film makers take the story seriously. If they don't care, why should I?
It was bigger and louder than the first film, and I can appreciate most people loving that, but I cringed through the entire movie watching good actors deliver inane lines in a paper-thin excuse for a plot.

Ghost World was great, but I would say that American Splendor was a greater step forward for comic book movies.  Ghost World was a great comic book, but the adaptation from book to screen was fairly straightforward (but yes, awesome), whereas American Splendor was truly a "comic book movie."  Additionally, I never confused superhero movies and other comic book movies, so I don't really know how Ghost World got into this discussion.

Even if you didn't think Spider-Man 2 was that great, I think you're in the minority among cinephiles if you really think it was as terrible as that, so saying that one must be "deluded" to like it is kinda off.  There are a lot of valid criticisms that can be made about this movie, but of all the things to argue, I think saying that the filmmakers didn't care or take the story seriously is the weakest one.  Sam Raimi and Co. most definitely care more about Spider-Man (Raimi's like King Spider-Man Nerd) than, say, Bryan Singer cared about X-Men, even though I think X-Men 2 is a good movie.  Not necessarily a breakthrough or huge step forward, but it certainly was a case of a superhero movie done right.

There are many elements in Spider-Man 2 where, if you think superhero comic books are generally lame, it's just not gonna work for you.  Ultimately, though, I think the movie was very faithful to the original material--so the question is whether or not you're a fan of the Spider-Man comics.  If not, then it becomes moot to criticize the film adaptation.  I agree with you that the movie isn't particularly "deep," and that the people who feel so are just simple, but the film never tries go and never should have gone deeper than the conflicted feelings that Peter Parker has about being Spider-Man.  So I agree that it isn't a "deep" movie, but to call it a massive step backwards?

Finally, I don't think Spider-Man 2 was bigger and louder than the first film.  Over half of the movie is focused on the human element, not on Spider-Man v.s. Doc Ock.  The action sequences themselves are better than in the first, but there are less of them.  I feel that Spider-Man 2 is a quieter, smaller, and more intimate movie than the first film.

I don't mind that you didn't like the movie, but I did have a problem with a few of your criticisms.  We disagree is about all that can be said.  Oh, and welcome to Xixax.  (I'm one of the friendlier members, honestly)

Slimepuppy

• The Call to Adventure
Reply #157 on: December 29, 2004, 04:52:46 AM
I see what you're saying, and maybe the problems lies in the source material... I just felt that while X-men was treating the subject matter with respect and a modicum of realism Spiderman 2 wasn't... At all. Again, that might hark back to the source material, which I am the first to admit I am not very familiar with.
I know I'm in the minority with my abject dislike of the second film, mainly because of the leaps of logic it does within the plot. For me it didn't feel like having "respect for the source material" but rather a lazy short hand to get things where they needed to be to move the story along. I'm not justifying my vitriol, just attempting to explain the reasons behind it.

Maybe we'll agree to disagree?

And thanks for the welcome. Much appreciated.
I've been quite impressed with the quality and quantity of film fact and opinion to be found on the forum. There's only so much AICN and IMDB comments I can take before seeing red...

Myxo

Reply #158 on: December 29, 2004, 11:08:18 AM
Spiderman 2 is not the best superhero movie of all time. Period.

Is it a good "popcorn 7 o'clock on a Friday night" movie? Sure.

It's even better if you read the comic books and know Peter Parker & Spiderman's story. There are lots of one-liners that only a fan would get.

SiliasRuby

• Spits Hyperbole Like Nobody's Business
Reply #159 on: February 08, 2005, 01:58:53 PM
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Stefen

• smh
Reply #160 on: February 08, 2005, 02:44:36 PM
Classic thread.  8)
Let's go to a motel. We don't have to do anything -- we could just swim.

Pubrick

• Admin
  • on the not-face of it
Reply #161 on: February 08, 2005, 07:55:39 PM
Quote from: SiliasRuby
I thought this was really funny and belonged in this thread...
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/guides/guide-display/-/1SS0RAIDCVIX9/ref=cm_bg_lm/102-1892874-8024135

that was really good, but he shot himself in the foot by pretending Kill Bill was for smart ppl.

the best: "You don't have the intellect to understand this movie or what the title means." i think i've said that before.
under the paving stones.

Ravi

• Admin
Reply #162 on: February 08, 2005, 09:19:28 PM
Why isn't this guy on Xixax yet?  Is this guy on Xixax yet?

SiliasRuby

• Spits Hyperbole Like Nobody's Business
Reply #163 on: February 08, 2005, 11:01:16 PM
I'm not sure if he is or he isn't on here, but he'd be interesting poster
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

pete

• freakin huge
    • my site
Reply #164 on: July 04, 2005, 02:40:30 PM
citizen kane.
“Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot.”
- Buster Keaton