XIXAX Film Forum

Lost (spoilers)

MacGuffin · 1954 · 322803

Jeremy Blackman

• Admin
Reply #1950 on: June 13, 2019, 12:53:35 PM
One of the Game of Thrones podcasts (A Storm of Spoilers) has now become a Lost rewatch podcast: The Storm. It's pretty excellent, thanks to Joanna Robinson, who is great.

They just reviewed 106 - House of the Rising Sun. I rated this as the second-worst episode of all time and said this: "Garbage writing. Ultra-cringey dialogue prematurely suggesting a Kate/Jack romance. Sun's flashbacks are cliche-ridden. The watch plot is nonsensical."

So what did these podcasters have to say about 106? "Such a great episode," said one co-host. But when they started to talk about the actual scenes, they could not manage to find any particular merits, and it was mostly a discussion through gritted teeth about cringey moments. Okay, but it's "such a great episode"?

It seems like people have an affection for early Lost that's rooted in nostalgia. But oh boy, some of those episodes are just objectively bad. I'm very curious to see what they think of 114 - Special, which I have as the worst episode of the series.
"Hunger is the purest sin"

polkablues

• Child of Myth
  • Admin
Reply #1951 on: June 14, 2019, 03:44:30 AM
“Stranger in a Strange Land” is the worst episode of Lost, and I’ll entertain no arguments to the contrary.
That's what fiction is for. It's for getting at the truth when the truth isn't sufficient for the truth.

Jeremy Blackman

• Admin
Reply #1952 on: June 14, 2019, 10:33:57 AM
Here's my argument to the contrary (from my rewatch notes):

The flashback is pointless. The island stuff is more than passable, though. Not the sharpest episode, but hardly the worst ever, as many believe. It benefits from Matthew Fox's full commitment.

Jeremy Blackman

• Admin
Reply #1953 on: September 24, 2019, 05:24:30 PM
Turns out electromagnetism does in fact have real healing powers...

Alzheimer’s memory loss reversed by new head device using electromagnetic waves