Author Topic: Catherine Breillat  (Read 1661 times)

ono

• The Master of Two Worlds
  • Respect: +208
Catherine Breillat
« on: September 17, 2004, 11:55:19 PM »
I've seen one film of Breillat's, and I like her already.  She seems to be the only female director around who can make a decent flick (well, save Sofia Coppola, of course, and I'm fully aware of this thread).  Here, I'm referring to À ma soeur! (Fat Girl).  This film wasn't anything astounding, but it was definitely unconventional, and addressed its subject in such a way as to paint it in a whole new light.  The ending, while definitely controversial, is in retrospect the best ending possible.  Though it may be sensational, it makes its point -- a point that I wonder if she would have been able to arrive at in any other way.  That is definitely up for debate.

She's got a new film in production.  I don't know anything about it other than Laetitia Casta is in it.  I definitely want to check out her other stuff whenever I get a chance.

Ghostboy

• Admin
  • Respect: +381
    • http://www.road-dog-productions.com/
Catherine Breillat
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2004, 12:49:37 AM »
Fat Girl is the only film of hers I've seen, also, and I really didn't care much for it. I thought it was sort of cheap female empowerment crossed with shock value, although there were many strong elements to it. I sort of want to see it again, because it definitely made an impression on me and I may change my opinion of it. And I'll probably see anything Breillat does in the future. I know she's got two that are finished since Fat Girl, but they haven't been released in the states yet. I think Godardian's seen either one or both of them...

eward

• Respect: +20
Catherine Breillat
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2005, 02:06:40 AM »
so i hit Breillat pretty hard this week, watching first Fat Girl (which i hated), a real young girl (fascinating, and often quite astonishing, highly recommended), romance (not great, not bad - recommended i guess) and 36 filette which i thought was pretty great.  she's worth checking out, but if you had to ask me, avoid fat girl at all costs.  one of the most boring and pathetic films i think i have ever seen.  other than that though, she's pretty good.
"Do you laugh at jealousy?"

"No, I don't even laugh at seasickness! I happen to regard jealousy as the seasickness of passion."

cine

• Pretttttyyy, Pretttyyyyy Pretty Good
  • Admin
  • Respect: +281
Catherine Breillat
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2005, 02:10:15 AM »
Quote from: eward
so i hit Breillat pretty hard this week

who hasn't, eh buddy?

eward

• Respect: +20
Catherine Breillat
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2005, 02:27:25 AM »
oh cinephile, you silly little thang.
"Do you laugh at jealousy?"

"No, I don't even laugh at seasickness! I happen to regard jealousy as the seasickness of passion."

cine

• Pretttttyyy, Pretttyyyyy Pretty Good
  • Admin
  • Respect: +281
Catherine Breillat
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2005, 02:28:39 AM »
That's what she said to me. Then I called her a fat girl. Then she called my joke lame. Then I hit her again.

good times, cathy.. good times..

Rudie Obias

• The Magic Flight
  • Respect: +1
    • RudieObias.com
Re: Catherine Breillat
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2006, 11:17:27 PM »
i can't believe you film snobs (don't hate, i'm one too) didn't like A MA SOEUR (FAT GIRL).  this is a brilliant film with an misleading english title.  A MA SOEUR translates into "to my sister" or "with my sister".  this title makes more sense than "FAT GIRL".  in this way, you really don't have any preconceived notions on what this film is or isn't.  instead of focusing on Anaïs (on which the english title suggest), focus on Anaïs, Elena and Fernando as a whole.  i loved this film!  it stayed with me for days after watching it which made me wanna watch it again and again.  on multiple viewings, i understood the film more and more and just fell in love with it.
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

wilder

• Respect: +1712
Re: Catherine Breillat
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2014, 04:29:53 PM »
Breillat signs for Japan-set Bridge of Floating Dreams
via Screen Daily

French director Catherine Breillat has signed to direct her first English-language film, Bridge of Floating Dreams set against the backdrop of Japan some twenty years after Hiroshima. 

Set against the backdrop of 1960s Japan, it revolves around the relationship between Sean, a young Australian backpacker on his first foreign adventure, and Miyoshi, a nightclub hostess.

In the backdrop, Sean is also befriended by an Austrian forger and a street-wise Japanese wannabe Yakuza hit man. 

“In the relationship between Miyoshi and Sean there is something of “romance”, but more flamboyant and carnal; more romantic and Romanesque,” says Breillat.

It is based on a screenplay by award-winning Australian screenwriter Brian Jones

It is the first time Breillat, whose last film Abuse of Weakness premiered at Toronto last year, has directed in English and someone else’s project

The production was initiated by respected late Australian producer David Hannay. Producer Richard Barnes, a life-long friend of Hannay, has taken over the production alongside François Cohen-Séat of Candide Production France.

DMCA & Copyright | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy