XIXAX Film Forum


Apocalypse Now

El Duderino · 134 · 25070

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

cine

  • Pretttttyyy, Pretttyyyyy Pretty Good
  • Admin
  • *****
    • Posts: 5553
Reply #30 on: April 30, 2004, 09:31:05 AM
Quote from: Dottie_Hinkle
The movie bored me.  The shots were nice and the acting was first-rate but the story bored me.  I also hated Full Metal Jacket....  Give me Deer Hunter over both of them.  I'm also a die-hard DeNiro fan.

Well if you found the shots nice and the acting first rate, while the story only bored you then chances are, it really isn't one of the worst VW movies ever... it's just how you took in the filmmaking. I could accept you being a little bored if it was the Redux but regardless of that, I don't see any credibility in your comment.


Dottie_Hinkle

  • The Call to Adventure
  • *
    • Posts: 34
Reply #31 on: April 30, 2004, 10:40:06 AM
The story didn't interest me but I enjoyed other aspects of the movie.  However, I STILL think it is one of the worst VW movies.  As far as you finding my statements lacking credibility....it's my opinion, A_hole.  Who died and left you the authority?
Does Anyone Know Where I can get the soundtrack/score to BANANAS?


SoNowThen

  • The Master of Two Worlds
  • *****
    • Posts: 4536
    • 24/30 Cinema
Reply #32 on: April 30, 2004, 10:48:28 AM
When Robert J. Moskiwitz passed away in early '95, he left Cinephile in charge of good taste, with the final words:

"...be sure to defend Apocalypse Now to crazy people who don't realize it is brilliant".
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.


cron

  • The Master of Two Worlds
  • *****
    • Posts: 3292
  • deeply superficial
Reply #33 on: April 30, 2004, 10:52:14 AM
Quote from: SoNowThen
When Robert J. Moskiwitz passed away in early '95, he left Cinephile in charge of good taste, with the final words:

"...be sure to defend Apocalypse Now to crazy people who don't realize it is brilliant".


you forgot  the "with extreme prejudice" part.  to which Cinephile replied:

"Yes, sir. Very much so, sir. Obviously, insane defend."
context, context, context.


Jeremy Blackman

  • Admin
  • *****
    • Posts: 12115
Reply #34 on: April 30, 2004, 10:52:54 AM
Quote from: Dottie_Hinkle
The story didn't interest me

Do you like 2001?
"Hunger is the purest sin"


Dottie_Hinkle

  • The Call to Adventure
  • *
    • Posts: 34
Reply #35 on: April 30, 2004, 10:56:05 AM
Yes, I loved it.  Surreal and excellent.
Does Anyone Know Where I can get the soundtrack/score to BANANAS?


SoNowThen

  • The Master of Two Worlds
  • *****
    • Posts: 4536
    • 24/30 Cinema
Reply #36 on: April 30, 2004, 10:57:32 AM
Apocalypse Now =
Quote from: Dottie_Hinkle
Surreal and excellent.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.


Pubrick

  • Admin
  • *****
    • Posts: 12170
  • on the not-face of it
Reply #37 on: April 30, 2004, 10:58:13 AM
Quote from: Jeremy Blackman
Quote from: Dottie_Hinkle
The story didn't interest me

Do you like 2001?

please don't try to reason with it.
under the paving stones.


Dottie_Hinkle

  • The Call to Adventure
  • *
    • Posts: 34
Reply #38 on: April 30, 2004, 10:59:14 AM
By the way, I have GREAT taste....  Most of you seem like pretentious movie snobs but I still like to read your endless blabber.
Does Anyone Know Where I can get the soundtrack/score to BANANAS?


SoNowThen

  • The Master of Two Worlds
  • *****
    • Posts: 4536
    • 24/30 Cinema
Reply #39 on: April 30, 2004, 11:00:54 AM
Didn't you read the banner? We all came here with good intentions like you. But now look at us...


btw, am I now so old that liking Apocalypse Now constitutes snobbery?! damn....
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.


Dottie_Hinkle

  • The Call to Adventure
  • *
    • Posts: 34
Reply #40 on: April 30, 2004, 11:03:19 AM
Oh come one now, SoNowThen, we're all still playing, aren't we?
Does Anyone Know Where I can get the soundtrack/score to BANANAS?


SoNowThen

  • The Master of Two Worlds
  • *****
    • Posts: 4536
    • 24/30 Cinema
Reply #41 on: April 30, 2004, 11:06:04 AM
Yep.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.


ono

  • The Master of Two Worlds
  • *****
    • Posts: 4303
  • ...
Reply #42 on: April 30, 2004, 11:06:05 AM
Way to endear yourself to us!  Just give us six months, Dottie.  That's all we ask.  That's our motto, y'know?


eward

  • The Master of Two Worlds
  • *****
    • Posts: 3920
Reply #43 on: April 30, 2004, 12:43:54 PM
Quote from: Dottie_Hinkle
Most of you seem like pretentious movie snobs but I still like to read your endless blabber.


i like spielberg, hate fight club, and think ali: fear eats the soul is an overrated bore (fassbinder i like, by the way, of what ive seen) - does that take me out of the snob circle?  :)
Everyone has a heart and it's calling for something
And we're all so sick and tired of seeing things as they are...


Jeremy Blackman

  • Admin
  • *****
    • Posts: 12115
Reply #44 on: April 30, 2004, 02:00:53 PM
Quote from: Stefen
Sorry guys. All out of owned pictures.

I'll contribute an original:

"Hunger is the purest sin"