South By Southwest (& Other Music Festivals)

Started by RegularKarate, February 24, 2004, 02:03:32 PM

mogwai

Quote from: RegularKarateI saw a lot of other bands, but I can't remember all thier names.
so were the hives any good? :wink:

godardian

The Anglophile in me is super-chuffed to know that The Thrills and Franz Ferdinand were the "big draws" of SXSW. They are very promising, intriguing bands whose music has wit, grace, and style... all-too-rare qualities that it's nice to have in two up-and-coming bands simultaneously, even if the hype and bandwagon-hopping is getting annoying, esp. with Franz Ferdinand.

Everclear lead singer=royal asshole. He's easily Portland's most-hated "rock star." Like, you can spot the Sleater-Kinney girls at the grocery store and think it's kind of cool and they're super-casual and pretty damn down-to-earth, but NOT HIM. I've never heard anyone say he's acted like anything less than a supremo jerk-off. Which I guess would be okay if Everclear's music wasn't so infernally dull....

All my opinion, of course.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

mogwai

Quote from: godardianeven if the hype and bandwagon-hopping is getting annoying, esp. with Franz Ferdinand.
i totally agree and i fear that they will sell out and... that "take me out" will become the "smells like teen spirits" of this decade.
hmm, that's a bold statement!

RegularKarate

Quote from: mogwai
so were the hives any good?

I didn't see the Hives.  I've never really been that big of a fan of thiers.  Nothing against the music, just doesn't really do anything for me.  Wish I would have gone though, evidently had a great after party.

As for the Everclear guy... he strikes me as a rockstar asshole, that's why I thought it was funny that he was at Spaghettie Warehouse.

mogwai

Quote from: RegularKarateAs for the Everclear guy... he strikes me as a rockstar asshole, that's why I thought it was funny that he was at Spaghettie Warehouse.
eh hem, just wondering... did ya read god's post? :-D

Quote from: godardianEverclear lead singer=royal asshole. He's easily Portland's most-hated "rock star." Like, you can spot the Sleater-Kinney girls at the grocery store and think it's kind of cool and they're super-casual and pretty damn down-to-earth, but NOT HIM. I've never heard anyone say he's acted like anything less than a supremo jerk-off. Which I guess would be okay if Everclear's music wasn't so infernally dull....

Pedro

Quote from: RegularKarate
Quote from: mogwai
so were the hives any good?

I didn't see the Hives.  I've never really been that big of a fan of thiers.  Nothing against the music, just doesn't really do anything for me.  Wish I would have gone though, evidently had a great after party.
you should have seen the hives dude.  im not really a fan of them on cd...it's kinda monotonous...but live it was a completely different thing.

did you go to the polyphonic spree/how's your news?/broken social scene/snow patrol/metric/patrick park   show at stubb's?

oh also, i was 4 feet from Isaac at modest mouse and had his spit fly all over me...my friend asked him how his drink tasted.  i think where we were really made the mix that night terrible...way too loud, but they were reaching towards the back, so it's understandable.

RegularKarate

Yeah, I was at the back, by the board.  Sounded good there.  

Were you the one throwing Suicide Girl stickers at him?

I didn't catch Polyphonic... I really wanted to see David Cross that same night and had to get up really early the next morning.  I'm pissed though because I was wrong about the times and I really could have probably made it.

Pedro

No, that was a dark skinned woman with very large breasts about 15 feet behind me.

mogwai

Quote from: Pedro the Wombat
No, that was a dark skinned woman with very large breasts about 15 feet behind me.
two options to say here...

1. ouch!!

2. ha ha ha

phil marlowe

RegularKarate

No Dillenger EP... that's really my main complaint with SXSW is that there's too much going on at once.  They should seperate the film portion and the music portion better.

Pedro

i saw them at a day show (DEP).  it was amazing, as expected.

phil marlowe

RegularKarate

Okay, more thread bumping for Music Festival shiznit.

ACL fest (Austin City Limits) just officially announced thier line-up (I and officially anounced that I'm getting tickets).  It was rumored and is now true... The Pixies will be there.

Here's the line-up

American Analog Set
Terry Allen
Trey Anastasio
Anthropos
Antibalas Afrobeat Orchestra
Asleep at the Wheel
Marcia Ball
Bobby  Bare, Jr.
The Bells of Joy
The Beta Band
Big Head Todd & The Monsters