Favorite Painting

Started by ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ, November 18, 2003, 05:23:06 PM

Banky

MacGuffin

Dali-Disney Collaboration Premieres

Destino #66 by Salvador Dali, is from "Destino," the long-delayed 1946 film by Dali and Walt Disney, which is showing at a New York gallery. Only six-minutes long, the fantastical jewel packs enough symbols to keep art historians and psychologists busy for years.

A narrow waisted, emerald-eyed brunette flits through a desert full of melting clocks and wacky perspectives, looking for her lover. Giant telephones levitate. Bicyclists with bread loaf helmets pedal by.

No, it's not a delusion it's "Destino," a film by Salvador Dali and Walt Disney. Only six-minutes long, the fantastical jewel packs enough symbols to keep art historians and psychologists busy for years.

Begun in 1946 but shelved because of financial difficulties, the film was finally completed in 2003 by Roy E. Disney, Disney's nephew and son of Walt Disney Co.'s co-founder. It is showing for the first time in New York City as the centerpiece of a new exhibit at Animazing Gallery.

The honor surely would have delighted the exhibitionist Dali, who is getting another dose of fame during the Year of Dali 2004, an array of exhibits and events celebrating the 100th anniversary of the surrealist artist's birth on May 11, 1904.

His collaboration with Walt Disney puzzles some, but the two had great respect for each other, with Dali describing Disney as one of the three great American surrealists; Disney's imaginative freedom of animation mirrors Dali's artistic vision.

Roy Disney became interested in "Destino" while working on the movie "Fantasia 2000," and decided to animate it after learning that, legally, the company did not own Dali's work until the film had been completed in the manner first intended. He and director Dominique Monfery had the original recording of Armando Dominguez's ballad, "Destino," and the memories of studio artist John Hench, who worked with Dali on the story, as guides.

"Way back when they were working on it, Walt used to say, 'There's nothing to it it's just a simple little love story,'" Disney quipped.

"Destino" garnered a 2003 Academy Award nomination for best short film. Rendered with 21st-century technology, the result may be better than any film its creators could have made. A documentary DVD about "Destino" is planned.

Also on display at Animazing are 150 pieces of animation art from the 1920s through the mid-1950s Disney's "Golden Years" paintings by company artists Harrison and Peter Ellenshaw and one of Dali's ink drawings from "Destino." According to Animazing director Heidi Leigh, it's the first of Dali's story boards from the film to be shown or offered for sale in the United States, and has an estimated value of $45,000.

The Ellenshaws' sugar-spun castle paintings have the glitzy feel of Hollywood merchandising, but the early drawings and story boards are enchanting. Erasures, technical notations and orders wreathe wrinkled pencil sketches of Mickey Mouse with his original tail and solid black eyes Cinderella and scenes from "Fantasia." Cruella De Vil's lurid green cigarette smoke, as rendered in a gouache animation cel, seems about to drift off the page and poison the air.

"The vintage work is a very sophisticated part of Americana art," Leigh said. "These pieces could easily go into a museum show a couple of them have."

Still, the star of the show is "Destino," which appears at Animazing Gallery through Saturday. The film is also part of "Dali & Mass Culture," showing through Jan 30 at The Salvador Dali Museum in St. Petersburg, Fla.

The exhibit at Animazing Gallery runs through Nov. 14 and will not travel.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ravi

When I saw Triplets of Belleville they showed Destino before it and it was quite beautiful.

lamas

slick.  i knew i had seen that Bosch before:  

plus it's a pretty good beer

Chest Rockwell

The work of Gary Baseman:

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

One of my favorite paintings by Hitler.

"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I like this, but I haven't been able to find the artist's name.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Pubrick

Quote from: Walrus XI like this, but I haven't been able to find the artist's name.
genghis khan.
under the paving stones.

sickfins

i recently painted this for use during a play

* painting was not finished at time of picture

it generated so much interest during the show that it will soon be auctioned off for the charity of fins

Pubrick

keep reaching for that rainbow  :yabbse-thumbup:
under the paving stones.

bonanzataz

The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Chest Rockwell

Dr Seuss - A Plethora of Fish

mogwai

Pubrick

Quote from: mogwaiwho did this one?
a very small person.
under the paving stones.

context, context, context.