Author Topic: Respect  (Read 10352 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

SHAFTR

  • The Master of Two Worlds
  • *****
  • Posts: 2337
  • You brought two too many
  • Respect: +4
    • rmlumley.com
Respect
« Reply #90 on: October 25, 2003, 11:27:00 PM »
0
I went to a Ben Stein guest lecture.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Jeremy Blackman

  • Admin
  • *****
  • Posts: 10860
  • Respect: +1268
Respect
« Reply #91 on: October 25, 2003, 11:29:31 PM »
0
Quote from: SHAFTR
I went to a Ben Stein guest lecture.


He was a speech writer for Nixon, so I have a hard time trusting him. What did he talk about?
"Hunger is the purest sin"

aclockworkjj

  • The Master of Two Worlds
  • *****
  • Posts: 3055
  • Respect: +1
Respect
« Reply #92 on: October 25, 2003, 11:31:04 PM »
0
quote this, quote that...play the devila advocated debater...

It means nothing...you don't present yer opinion unless it's putting down anothers.  It's a twisted symphonic glance trance.

Quote this next in yer reply...

Women...they control the world, they may not be leaders but they call the shots, they may not be in command, but they are the feeders...

men...we are the cheaters.

ps. I ment you read words here and add no tone...I would like to think you have sum bounce in yer step...

pookiethecat

  • The Meeting with the Goddess
  • ***
  • Posts: 382
  • Respect: 0
Respect
« Reply #93 on: October 25, 2003, 11:37:20 PM »
0
i don't want to enter the ring, so to speak, but i do want to say a few a things.

1. i shouldn't have started the 'i'm so sexy' thread.  it was a mistake and a really damaging one at that.  i was feeling oddly self confident and felt, against my better judgement, to post about it in a forum with a predominantly male online community.  it got a reaction, but not exactly the one i intended, as the first reply mentioned my age.  i thought it might be interesting to discuss different "getting hit on" stories, but it clearly took a turn for the worse as people demanded to see my picture.   i take full blame for this though, and deeply regret the way it hurt my xixax image.  

2. aclockworkjj's statements in the feature presentation section about "the graveyard" DID offend and annoy me.  they presumed that because i'm female, my opinion about the film was less valid.  then when i questioned him with logic, he refused to respond.  my comments in this thread were, in fact, directed towards him more than anyone else.  so he does have a certain right to feel that the majority of the bad behavior correlates to him.  though i think Godardian's point was that respect is a universal necessity for everyone, not just jj.  

3. it's not so much the mere fact that "boobies" are discussed-  but rather the WAY that they are are talked about.  like the old adage, it's not what it's about, it's how it's about it. and a really asinine (that word keeps on cropping up when i post about this topic) anti-intellectual tone persists.  sexuality is sexuality.  and it's a vital topic that has its place on xixax, but going overboard and discussing it in such a rudimentary way is boring and opens the door for offensive, disrespectful comments.  

4. jeremy blackman is a continually eloquent, considerate poster on xixax. i suppose the fact that he doesn't make obscene nonsensical posts will open him up for criticism as a bore.  this is probably the vaguest intangible critique.  just wanted to point that out.

alright.  i'm done, i think.
i wanna lick 'em.

aclockworkjj

  • The Master of Two Worlds
  • *****
  • Posts: 3055
  • Respect: +1
Respect
« Reply #94 on: October 25, 2003, 11:40:30 PM »
0
Quote from: pookiethecat
i don't want to enter the ring, so to speak, but i do want to say a few a things.

1. i shouldn't have started the 'i'm so sexy' thread.  it was a mistake and a really damaging one at that.  i was feeling oddly self confident and felt, against my better judgement, to post about it in a forum with a predominantly male online community.  it got a reaction, but not exactly the one i intended, as the first reply mentioned my age.  i thought it might be interesting to discuss different "getting hit on" stories, but it clearly took a turn for the worse as people demanded to see my picture.   i take full blame for this though, and deeply regret the way it hurt my xixax image.  

2. aclockworkjj's statements in the feature presentation section about "the graveyard" DID offend and annoy me.  they presumed that because i'm female, my opinion about the film was less valid.  then when i questioned him with logic, he refused to respond.  my comments in this thread were, in fact, directed towards him more than anyone else.  so he does have a certain right to feel that the majority of the bad behavior correlates to him.  though i think Godardian's point was that respect is a universal not so jj-centric quality.  

3. it's not so much the mere fact that "boobies" are discussed-  but rather the WAY that they are are talked about.  like the old adage, it's not what it's about, it's how it's about it. and a really asinine (that word keeps on cropping up when i post about this topic) anti-intellectual tone persists.  sexuality is sexuality.  and it's a vital topic that has its place on xixax, but going overboard and discussing it in such a rudimentary way is boring and opens the door for offensive, disrespectful comments.  

4. jeremy blackman is a continually eloquent, considerate poster on xixax. i suppose the fact that he doesn't make obscene nonsensical posts makes him "boring" ?

congrats...you not only did what I was hoping for...but probably gained some respect in the process.


amen pookie.

Newtron

  • The Meeting with the Goddess
  • ***
  • Posts: 344
  • Respect: +1
Respect
« Reply #95 on: October 25, 2003, 11:41:06 PM »
0
ACJJ, I feel embarrassed when I read your posts. I cringe sometimes. Honestly.

aclockworkjj

  • The Master of Two Worlds
  • *****
  • Posts: 3055
  • Respect: +1
Respect
« Reply #96 on: October 25, 2003, 11:43:24 PM »
0
Quote from: Newtron
ACJJ, I feel embarrassed when I read your posts. I cringe sometimes. Honestly.

as I do with the above statement...really doh...tell me how to post then cum up with gems of such.  If only I could catch on...

continue the love as I have so much to give ...to you all....

Jeremy Blackman

  • Admin
  • *****
  • Posts: 10860
  • Respect: +1268
Respect
« Reply #97 on: October 25, 2003, 11:44:13 PM »
0
Quote from: aclockworkjj
quote this, quote that...
 
It means nothing...


Uh... yeah. Please explain.

Quote from: aclockworkjj
Women...they control the world, they may not be leaders but they call the shots, they may not be in command, but they are the feeders...


Oh yes that idea, made famous by the great mysoginist Samuel Johnson. "Men in power are manipulated by women. Look how much bad stuff has come out of it already." It exposes a paradox of anti-feminism... they say women are apt manipulators but are easily manipulated, and forget that the men in power supposedly being manipulated by women are also easily manipulated. This is a classic reason used throughout history for oppressing women. (Look how dangerous they could be if they have any real power! And GOD, what if they VOTED?) Do you want to defend yourself, or take it back and tell me that's supposed to be funny?
"Hunger is the purest sin"

aclockworkjj

  • The Master of Two Worlds
  • *****
  • Posts: 3055
  • Respect: +1
Respect
« Reply #98 on: October 25, 2003, 11:50:04 PM »
0
haha...keep fishin' sir...I am not saying any of that...

but cute quote.  wait till next year when you take another class, and contridict yer social relevence ..hence, a cheesy quote....really show me more than that joke....

I am suddenly reminded of this tool in Good Will Hunting,

nice apples, huh pumpkin?

Newtron

  • The Meeting with the Goddess
  • ***
  • Posts: 344
  • Respect: +1
Respect
« Reply #99 on: October 25, 2003, 11:52:13 PM »
0
Oh My God.

Jeremy Blackman

  • Admin
  • *****
  • Posts: 10860
  • Respect: +1268
Respect
« Reply #100 on: October 25, 2003, 11:53:44 PM »
0
Quote from: aclockworkjj
haha...keep fishin' sir...I am not saying any of that...


Then please correct me. What are you saying?

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman
Do you want to defend yourself, or take it back and tell me that's supposed to be funny?
"Hunger is the purest sin"

aclockworkjj

  • The Master of Two Worlds
  • *****
  • Posts: 3055
  • Respect: +1
Respect
« Reply #101 on: October 25, 2003, 11:57:11 PM »
0
what do I have to defend?...has there been a female us president ...ever?...do I agree with?...no.  BUt just that notion is where I was coming from.  Not opinion...but fact...

go Hilary in 2004!!

Jeremy Blackman

  • Admin
  • *****
  • Posts: 10860
  • Respect: +1268
Respect
« Reply #102 on: October 25, 2003, 11:59:01 PM »
0
Quote from: aclockworkjj
what do I have to defend?


You know exactly what you have to defend. Asking me why you have to defend it is not a very good defense.

If you need a little nudge, here's the actual Samuel Johnson quote:

"Nature has given women so much power that the law has very wisely given them little."
"Hunger is the purest sin"

aclockworkjj

  • The Master of Two Worlds
  • *****
  • Posts: 3055
  • Respect: +1
Respect
« Reply #103 on: October 26, 2003, 12:08:23 AM »
0
Quote from: Jeremy Blackman
You know exactly what you have to defend.

no...so clarify muy brotha.....as I don't see the need.

Jeremy Blackman

  • Admin
  • *****
  • Posts: 10860
  • Respect: +1268
Respect
« Reply #104 on: October 26, 2003, 12:20:47 AM »
0
Quote from: aclockworkjj
no...so clarify muy brotha.....as I don't see the need.


Alright. You made this comment...

Quote from: aclockworkjj
Women...they control the world, they may not be leaders but they call the shots, they may not be in command, but they are the feeders...


...and I wondered why you said it. Do you really mean it? If you do mean it, please tell me how it's different from the stuff I mentioned above.

I'm not at all saying you think women shouldn't be allowed to vote. I'm just showing you where I've seen your idea before. So tell me... If women control the world, how much more power should they have? No more power? Less power? Are you saying that the oppression of women is exaggerated? Please... you really need to explain this, considering how serious the implications are.
"Hunger is the purest sin"

 

DMCA & Copyright | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy