• The Master of Two Worlds
Reply #1590 on: August 07, 2019, 12:17:43 AM
Translator for sure important.

WorldForgot

• The Ultimate Boon
  • 'change your hair, change your life'
    • portfolio ~
Reply #1591 on: August 09, 2019, 12:38:17 PM
Finished Asimov'z FOUNDATION saga. A handful of books, but they whiz past you, the prose is especially sweet and cutting if you're used to reading more verbose authors like GRRM. I see slices of The Wheel of Time in Foundation. can't even begin to break this series down, it manages to address Atomic Age paranoia with the political lyricism and world-building of Ursula K Le Guin, include as many characters as ASOIAF, if not more, and yet, of course, only Asimov could weave the science into the fiction the way it's presented here.

If you're looking to scratch a Fantasy/Sci-Fi itch, the first book will probably hook you for at least two more (it was originally a trilogy). And then after that I read Invisible Monsters Remix, which is like playing a remastered record you love. I knew what I was getting into, and the new passages added enough dimension to a story I already adored that I can say, I think, the remix is the definitive version of Palahniuk's first novel. I dream of adapting this novel into a film.

And now, I'm dipping into the waters of I Ching, The Book of Change, as my leisure reading between legal/copyright texts for work. Really want to write about Jung + Pasolini + I Ching + Suspiria + Capitalist Realism, which all defo form a helix of organized chaos, but I lost all my notes on Suspiria 2018+Capitalist Realism when my macbook died earlier this month. I guess I ought to reread Capitalist Realism and take the notes all over again! Onward!

jenkins

Reply #1592 on: September 03, 2019, 10:38:19 PM
having finished The Magic Mountain, i started reading Salman Rushdie's Quichotte, which is the second book of his i've read, after Midnight's Children of course

Rushdie is a smart guy. sometimes people are too smart to write good fiction. Rushdie is a smart guy interested in the art of literature. that is when things can really pop. Quichotte is a four-pronged narrative that envelops true and imaginary aspects of reality. it being fiction everything is imaginary, but in the narrative there is who is real and who is being created, though all are involved in the process of creation. the initial chapters have been a lot of context. this is from the end of the first chapter with Sancho, who is Quichotte's imaginary son, carved out of thin-air meteors in a sequence set at devil's tower with close encounters of the third kind explicitly mentioned. i think this section is Rushdie popping. there's a lot of imagination going on this sequence that's rationalizing a preposterous existence

Drenk

Reply #1593 on: September 04, 2019, 05:56:56 AM
Quichotte. Shortlisted for the Booker Prize with...

Ducks, Newburyport!
I'm so many people.