XIXAX Film Forum

What are we reading?

edison · 1579 · 171842

eward

• The Master of Two Worlds
Reply #1575 on: July 11, 2019, 11:21:57 AM
A few hairs past the halfway mark of IJ, what a fucking marathon. The intelligent prose and occasional insightful passage keep me reading. Itís very good so far, enjoying my time with it, just wish it required less commitment. This and Gravityís Rainbow were the books I wanted to read most since Iíve been in reading mode, getting through the former last fall, which started about 2 years ago with Helter Skelter, the remaining 3 are Ulysses, Kavalier and Clay, and The Corrections, as well as all Pynchon post GR minus IV. Shocked that I will have devoured GR and IJ with the span of a year. Never thought iíd Get through either. Jest is definitely less complex than GR, that one had me on Google constantly, this one just has me on the Dictionary app ever so often

Bravo! I will one day finally tackle IJ. As for Gravity's Rainbow, I've never read it all the way through, but I've dipped in to so many sections at random over the years that I figure I must have covered at least a significant portion of it. My favorite non-GR Pynchon is Against the Day! V is also good fun. Vineland's probably the easiest read next to Inherent Vice (and serves as a terrific companion piece). I also recommend watching Alex Ross Perry's first feature "Impolex".

I just started "Chaos: Charles Manson, the CIA, and the Secret History of the Sixties" and it. is. crazy. Pretty credibly reveals much of the accepted "Helter Skelter" Bugliosi-prosecutorial narrative to be utter bullshit. This case is endlessly fascinating.
"Do you laugh at jealousy?"

"No, I don't even laugh at seasickness! I happen to regard jealousy as the seasickness of passion."

jenkins

Reply #1576 on: July 11, 2019, 12:40:16 PM
aww. senses of accomplishment are cool. glad youíre sticking with IJ

iíve been reading Thomas Mannís The Magic Mountain, never once having to consult either google or a dictionary, and iím constantly learning. itís the fullest expression of the human condition iíve encountered, and the protagonist is a death obsessed troubled soul

Something Spanish

• The Meeting with the Goddess
Reply #1577 on: July 11, 2019, 06:00:16 PM
got a super boost to finish it asap a little over two weeks ago when watching Only Lovers Left Alive, there's a scene where Swinton packs a valise full of books, IJ among them. took it as a sign to keep going.

jenkins

Reply #1578 on: July 11, 2019, 06:27:15 PM
if you start slacking here it is in Paterson too