Author Topic: What are we reading?  (Read 111649 times)

KJ

• The Magic Flight
  • Respect: +225
Re: What are we reading?
« Reply #1440 on: January 21, 2011, 04:35:45 PM »
Just finished reading On the Road (must be my favorite book) again, and will start with The Dharma Bums now.

Stefen

• The Master of Two Worlds
  • smh
  • Respect: +190
« Reply #1441 on: April 04, 2011, 07:51:37 PM »

Just about to start it. HOPEFULLY.

I was thinking today about how ever since I got an iPhone, I've stopped reading. I haven't read a single book this year.  :yabbse-angry:
Let's go to a motel. We don't have to do anything -- we could just swim.

Neil

• Being genuine just isn't enough these days.
  • Respect: +155
« Reply #1442 on: April 05, 2011, 09:25:04 AM »
Although it seems there are some quite absolutist statements in this book that very few could get away with, it is a very very  cutting edge voyage into genetic predisposition versus environmental surroundings with regards to opportunity and intelligence.  Definitely worth a read.

it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

SiliasRuby

• Spits Hyperbole Like Nobody's Business
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #1443 on: April 08, 2011, 04:56:54 AM »
Got finished with listening to these two audiobooks: The War For Late Night and The God Delusion.

Now starting 'Then everything changed stunning alternate histories of american politics jfk. rfk. carter. ford. reagan' By Jeff Greenfield

Thank You Audible...
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

• :boxing:
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #1444 on: April 16, 2011, 01:30:12 AM »
Thrift store find.  I had always heard mention of Gabriel Garcia Marquez, but never a strong enough recommendation to try it out, but I picked this up on a whim and it's absolutely brilliant.  In the first chapter alone I was just stunned by the language and detail used.

"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Pubrick

• Admin
  • Lynchian identity mystery
  • Respect: +769
« Reply #1445 on: April 16, 2011, 04:16:02 AM »
He's only one of the most celebrated authors of all time and the book you posted is an undisputed masterpiece..

That common knowledge wasn't strong enough recommendation for you?

Better late (and cheap) than never I guess.
endless 'nothing is what it seems'-isms

Reelist

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Respect: +967
« Reply #1446 on: April 16, 2011, 07:01:37 AM »
all I hear are good things about that book. I've been wanting to read it for a long time. The only Marquez I've read was in highschool, 'Chronicle of Death Foretold' I'm pretty sure it confused the shit outta me. Books are always better when you're not 'forced' to read 'em.
You can go to places in the world with pudding. That. Is. Funny.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

• :boxing:
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #1447 on: April 18, 2011, 12:12:19 AM »
He's only one of the most celebrated authors of all time and the book you posted is an undisputed masterpiece..

That common knowledge wasn't strong enough recommendation for you?

Better late (and cheap) than never I guess.

Well, like I said, I had always heard mention of him, varying levels of praise, but no friends were discussing him, so there wasn't an immediacy to read it like there might be in regards to a book a friend might lend me to read so that we could discuss it.  Not that the only books I read are on recommendation, but unless I find it on my own to read solo (which, believe it or not, there are millions upon millions of books to choose from) I try to read suggestions so I can discuss the work with someone, which leads to enrichment of the book's message.

I'm not implying I found a rare, obscure gem, but I was surprised by how amazing this book is.  I'm not saying anything new now.  In fact, your post really says nothing beyond what I had already insinuated, you just needed it in your own language for your own purposes, I guess.  Fuck, I don't even know why I'm responding.  I guess I need it for my own purposes, too.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Mr. Merrill Lehrl

• The Meeting with the Goddess
  • Respect: +5
    • Internal Revenue Service
« Reply #1448 on: April 20, 2011, 11:06:19 PM »

Who else?  Let's book club.
“If I had to hold up the most heavily fortified bank in America,” Bolaño says, “I’d take a gang of poets. The attempt would probably end in disaster, but it would be beautiful.”

JG

• Respect: +53
« Reply #1449 on: April 21, 2011, 01:22:55 AM »
I picked it up, going to start in da mornin.

Mr. Merrill Lehrl

« Reply #1450 on: May 05, 2011, 08:59:06 PM »
Did you begin Pale King?  I'm about done, probably would be done if I hadn't started posting on Xixax(!).

This is a really great and valuable demonstration of DFW's writing process:  http://www.hrc.utexas.edu/collections/digital/dfw/
“If I had to hold up the most heavily fortified bank in America,” Bolaño says, “I’d take a gang of poets. The attempt would probably end in disaster, but it would be beautiful.”

JG

• Respect: +53
« Reply #1451 on: May 06, 2011, 10:06:55 AM »
Did you begin Pale King?  I'm about done, probably would be done if I hadn't started posting on Xixax(!).

This is a really great and valuable demonstration of DFW's writing process:  http://www.hrc.utexas.edu/collections/digital/dfw/

Have about 90 pages left, had to read it in between a bunch of other stuff for school. NOT QUITE READY TO TALK ABOUT IT. that's a super cool link, btw, thnx.

Mr. Merrill Lehrl

« Reply #1452 on: May 10, 2011, 03:18:31 AM »
Basically we're either going to have to get more people to read Pale King or the essential parts of my profile will remain inside jokes between you and me.  Let me know when you're ready to talk about it.

Also:

Pedro

• Respect: +68
    • Facebook:  Aaron Green
« Reply #1453 on: May 10, 2011, 05:58:13 PM »
How are you liking it, Merrill?  I have wanted to read Bernhard for a long while, but I have not had the time.  I started Correction, but within five pages I knew it was not something I could read casually.  It was recommended by a friend after I read Lynne Tillman's American Genius, which I quite enjoyed.  So for what it's worth, you should check out that novel.  

My last semester of college is winding up, so my only reading is for the essays I'm working on.  I'm most involved with:

Mr. Merrill Lehrl

« Reply #1454 on: May 10, 2011, 06:06:45 PM »
Thanks for the recommendation I'll check it out!  It's too early in Correction for me to say much about it, although in these early pages it reminds me of Saul Bellow in certain themes and dreamy intellectual aspects.

DMCA & Copyright | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy