Author Topic: What are we reading?  (Read 144823 times)

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

• The Master of Two Worlds
  • :boxing:
  • Respect: +20
Re: What are we reading?
« Reply #1350 on: February 08, 2010, 10:55:30 PM »
The movie is great, but the book is amazing.  It's a quick read, and so far it seems to be the best sci-fi I've ever read.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Derek

• The Ultimate Boon
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #1351 on: February 16, 2010, 08:40:34 PM »
Read This

I just finished The Savage Detectives by Belano. I heard 2666 was not finished or a fairly rough draft by the time he died. Do you get this feeling from the book?
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

The Perineum Falcon

• Respect: +17
« Reply #1352 on: February 17, 2010, 12:02:33 PM »
Not at all. It could certainly deal with some editing here and there, but ultimately, had I never known that he died before it was "completed" I wouldn't have suspected anything. And from what I've come to understand was that Bolano was pretty close to finishing it.
It's massive and even more epic than Savage Detectives, with so many characters I began to lose track of them.

It's a wonderful book. Can't say more now; lunch break and all that shit. But definitely read it, if you enjoyed Detectives, you should enjoy this, too.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Derek

• The Ultimate Boon
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #1353 on: February 17, 2010, 11:05:30 PM »
That was the biggest challenge of Detectives, the number of characters. Thanks, I've got a couple more in the queue but I'll read it soon.
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

Ravi

• Admin
  • Respect: +95
« Reply #1354 on: February 18, 2010, 10:31:05 AM »
Just finished:

mogwai

• Respect: +68
« Reply #1355 on: February 18, 2010, 12:30:31 PM »
^

That reminds me of "Watchmen". Zack Snyder probably forgot to read it.

Reinhold

• Respect: +3
« Reply #1356 on: February 18, 2010, 12:35:09 PM »
ravi, what did you think of the book?
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

The Perineum Falcon

• Respect: +17
« Reply #1357 on: February 19, 2010, 12:42:52 PM »
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

pete

• freakin huge
  • Respect: +457
    • my site
« Reply #1358 on: February 19, 2010, 01:32:58 PM »

I'm not ravi but I love it.  it's not that instructional but it's very inspirational.  though the guy talks a lot about the details of his work, it's ultimately more about him and his genius than about the craft of editing or music or archetectural theories. 
“Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot.”
- Buster Keaton

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

• :boxing:
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #1359 on: February 21, 2010, 02:31:26 AM »
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Ravi

• Admin
  • Respect: +95
« Reply #1360 on: February 21, 2010, 08:37:46 AM »

I enjoyed it a lot.  Like Pete said, its not an instructional book, but it does some insight into how Murch approaches certain edits and sound design decisions as well as his insights into a given film's characters and themes.  Murch's knowledge of art and music are fascinating to read.  He's a man of many interests, and the book reminds you that editing isn't a rote technical job.

Pedro

• Respect: +68
    • Facebook:  Aaron Green
« Reply #1361 on: February 21, 2010, 01:06:59 PM »
\

going through a novel a week for class; i get to meet the author of this one tomorrow.  excellent book so far

Stefen

• smh
  • Respect: +193
« Reply #1362 on: February 21, 2010, 10:42:38 PM »

It's one of the funniest books I've ever read. It's over 600 pages long and very comprehensive. GT you would love this.
Let's go to a motel. We don't have to do anything -- we could just swim.

Gold Trumpet

• The Master of Three Worlds
  • Respect: +181
« Reply #1363 on: February 21, 2010, 11:30:36 PM »
GT you would love this.

Good call because it was already the first book I was going to read this summer.

Stefen

• smh
  • Respect: +193
« Reply #1364 on: February 21, 2010, 11:38:12 PM »
It's over 600 pages long and each page has a couple footnotes so it's really 800 pages long. It's epic.
Let's go to a motel. We don't have to do anything -- we could just swim.

DMCA & Copyright | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy