Podcasts

Started by cron, October 31, 2005, 06:33:32 PM

Jeremy Blackman

^ Definitely exceeding my expectations. I'm not a true crime buff by any stretch, but this is some of the most fascinating and "real" courtroom reporting I've ever heard. Monday's episode (Day 6) is especially good.

They seem to agree that the defense is gradually crumbling, because they're making three conflicting arguments with no coherent overarching narrative. Meanwhile, the prosecution is bringing in witnesses (recently the second of four), who are giving heart-wrenching, vulnerable testimony. No surprise, Ghislaine Maxwell is (allegedly) an absolute monster. These witnesses are heroes for what they're doing, which comes at a great cost personally and psychologically, as they live on the razor's edge of anonymity (while the defense clumsily doxes them, btw).

Learning about Ghislaine's (alleged) modus operandi is absolutely chilling—the way she would create a fake friendship with a girl, then reveal herself to be a grotesque creep, sometimes quite suddenly. And by then it was too late—the girl would be trapped in this stranger's house in a different state (or country) with no idea how to feasibly get home, also fearing the consequences for non-cooperation. The only thing they could be sure of is what was expected of them.

The obscene wealth combined with terrible taste, the wallpapered rooms with heavy drapes, a massage table ominously stationed in every room, the darkness of it all. Really paints a picture.

Jeremy Blackman

Brace and Liz somehow ended up on a Barstool Sports podcast. Not sure I agree with the aesthetic choice of having random bros always in-frame just eating and staring at the wall. But it actually ends up being a good conversation.

Substance wise, it seems clear that the whole Epstein/Maxwell project was an intelligence operation. Mossad + who knows what. I would definitely like to know more about Robert Maxwell. Besides being Ghislaine's father, he was a Mossad spy who seemed to specialize in befriending a ton of the most famous and powerful people in the world. Sound familiar? As a fun bonus, he died in mysterious circumstances.

Fitzroy

Quote from: wilberfan on January 14, 2021, 02:16:42 PM
Any fellow Krakauer fans here?  (I've read or listened to "Into Thin Air" 8 or 10 times.)   A new interview with Jon on the 25th anniversary of "Into the Wild"--a fascinating, tragic and engrossing story when he first wrote about it, that went on to develop add'l drama in the years since. 

https://www.theringer.com/2021/1/14/22230638/jon-krakauer-on-the-25th-anniversary-of-into-the-wild

A little late to the party, but thanks for sharing this! As a bit of an Everest but myself, Into Thin Air became an instant favourite when I first came across it about 10 years ago. Always great to hear Krakauer talking about the subject because it's a fairly deep rabbit hole!

Jeremy Blackman

Joanna Robinson has been at The Ringer for almost a year now, and I've been loving her work there. She's elevated their podcasts both in terms of quality and popularity. J-Rob and Mallory Rubin are an unbeatable combo for both House of the Dragon and Rings of Power.

Because The Ringer is Spotify-owned, occasionally you'll get weird ads. I actually got a Joe Rogan ad a while ago. Thankfully nothing this bad:

Robyn

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on April 24, 2016, 04:54:22 PMThis randomly seems like a good time for a Current Favorites update. I'll do a Top 15.

Doesn't include public radio fare, such as This American Life, On The Media, and Radiolab.

1. The Flop House
2. The Flop House
3. The Flop House
4. Judge John Hodgman
5. Read It And Weep
6. Pop Culture Happy Hour
7. How Did This Get Made?
8. We Got This
9. Star Wars Minute
10. FiveThirtyEight Elections
11. Lexicon Valley
12. International Waters
13. Slate's Culture Gabfest
14. The Rotten Tomatoes Podcast
15. The Vulture TV Podcast

6 years later and you should randomly do one of these again, I think!

Jeremy Blackman

I've been mostly consuming TV podcasts, because of the wealth of discussion-rich shows that have been on lately.

The Ringer is doing the best TV podcasts right now. Basically whichever podcasts Joanna Robinson is on. Mostly "The Ringer-Verse" and "The Prestige TV Podcast."

Other good TV podcasts:

Bald Move network (Pulp and Prestige feeds)
Decoding TV (Dave Chen's new venture, now that he's quit his day job)
OneTake network (Talking Targaryen, Saulcast)

For podcasts in general, I have to admit The Flop House isn't quite the instant must-listen it used to be for me. Once you're a superfan of this podcast, you start to feel the cycle of jokes and references loop back around a bit.

Slashfilm Daily suffered an instant decline when basically everyone who was on it got promoted to editor positions at Slashfilm. They don't really have time to podcast anymore.

Pop Culture Happy Hour was the first podcast I ever listened to. And I was a huge fan from the beginning. I still love the core group, but once the podcast got popular, they started splitting it into distinct pieces and editing it to shreds. You really feel the time pressure whenever someone is giving their take, because they know the episode length is limited and they're going to be edited down if they're not succinct. This is the exact opposite of what the NPR ethos once was.

The Filmcast is simply the best podcast out there. The format of the show is perfect ("What we've been watching," spoiler-free section, spoiler section), and no one does it better. Film podcasts that only do a spoiler-free review are just kneecapping themselves, and it usually turns out to be a light-spoiler review anyway.

Read It And Weep is probably the most underrated podcast I listen to. They started as a "bad books" podcast, which predictably they could not sustain as a format. They became a bad movies podcast, and now they kind of do whatever they want, but in distinctly-formatted seasons. This season they're doing a six degrees of Kevin Bacon movie watching game, covering terrible movies and great movies. The three main hosts are stand-up comics at varying levels of success but all very funny imo.

1. The Filmcast
2. The Flop House
3. Read It And Weep
4. TrueAnon
5. Screen Drafts
6. Trial By Content
7. Too Scary; Didn't Watch
8. Chapo Trap House
9. Judge John Hodgman
10. Oh No, Ross and Carrie
11. How Did This Get Made (I usually skip their live episodes, because Jason gets too yelly)
12. Last Podcast On The Left (mostly just listen to their research-heavy episodes)

Robyn

Nice!

Agreed about Filmcast. It's the only podcast I listen to regularly, and I'm looking forward to trying the rest.

I listened to an episode of The Flop House and I'm not quite sold yet. It sounded like Tim Heidecker doing a parody of your typical funny podcast dude. I'm sure that could change as I'm getting more familiar with them, tho

Alethia

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on September 18, 2022, 10:44:11 PM1. The Filmcast
2. The Flop House
3. Read It And Weep
4. TrueAnon
5. Screen Drafts
6. Trial By Content
7. Too Scary; Didn't Watch
8. Chapo Trap House
9. Judge John Hodgman
10. Oh No, Ross and Carrie
11. How Did This Get Made (I usually skip their live episodes, because Jason gets too yelly)
12. Last Podcast On The Left (mostly just listen to their research-heavy episodes)

I love Too Scary; Didn't Watch! Such a fun concept, and the girls are very charming.

A few noteworthy additions to my podcast landscape as of late:

Firstly, I have become completely obsessed with Conan O'Brien Needs a Friend - Conan may be the most effortlessly funny human being on the planet, and sharing the mic with his assistant Sona and the legend Matt Gourley, great great stuff.

Smartless - Jason Bateman, Will Arnett, Sean Hayes plus weekly secret guests.

You're Wrong About and You Are Good - both hosted by Sarah Marshall, one of my current fave journos/cultural analysts.

The Kingcast - for all us Stephen King fanz.

Post Mortem - weekly interview pod with esteemed horror maestro Mick Garris.

Not sure if anyone else has mentioned We Hate Movies but it's super funny and addictive.

The Faculty of Horror - monthly academic examinations of select horror titles with two very sharp and eloquent hosts in Alexandra West and Andrea Subissati.

The Video Archives pod - 'nuff said.

:yabbse-grin:

WorldForgot

I'm not much for podcasts but I picked one up on a recommendation - Your Own Backyard a true crime podcast on the murder of Kristin Smart that ended up riling up new evidence in a case that was long thought stalled.

It's very interesting as Chris is running a sort of parallel 'case' that ends up intertwining with a sheriff's department. Plenty of first-hand accounts from interviews, and a very respectful perspective on how these trauma's affect not only family and friends but the need for community involvement in order for truth to come to light.