Author Topic: The Limey  (Read 2774 times)

Just Withnail

• The Master of Two Worlds
  • Respect: +498
    • Truls Krane Meby's website
The Limey
« on: September 06, 2003, 11:46:14 AM »
Why no Limey discussions? In my opinion it's amongst Soderberg's best work. I saw it again yesterday with the 60's Docu-Commentary, and realized once more how much I adore it. Side-note: Funny how many small shots you pick up on, when you're listening to a commentary, as opposed to keeping up with the narrative.

For me what makes the film is that it's so damn simple, yet Soderberg makes it more. The plot is fairly straight forward, and would've made a kinda cool revenge flick, had anybode else directed it, and had it not been for the always exellent Stamp, Fonda and Guzman. Some probably think the repetion of shots are cheap, and call it cheesy editing, but I find it great; very relaxing.

Anyone care to comment on this little gem, all to often buried underneath Soderbergs other films?

Cecil

The Limey
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2003, 12:06:26 PM »
dobbs complains alot about some of the things soderbergh took out/ added to the movie, but i agree with soderbergh

cine

• Pretttttyyy, Pretttyyyyy Pretty Good
  • Admin
  • Respect: +283
The Limey
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2003, 05:00:51 PM »
yes, one of his best.. Quite visual.. Stamp is great but see it BEFORE Bowfinger. I made the mistake of seeing it after. I loved the old movie references and the filmmaking all around.

Find Your Magali

• Respect: +14
The Limey
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2003, 12:15:06 AM »
I'm with y'all. It's my third-favorite Soderbergh flick, behind Out of Sight and Traffic. ... I just think he got into such an incredible groove with those three flicks. ....

Ghostboy

• Admin
  • Respect: +388
The Limey
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2003, 01:02:48 AM »
Although there were a few months where Solaris tipped the scale, The Limey has now returned to the top spot on my list of favorite Soderbergh movies.

SHAFTR

• You brought two too many
  • Respect: +4
    • rmlumley.com
The Limey
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2003, 01:05:20 AM »
Quote from: Find Your Magali
I'm with y'all. It's my third-favorite Soderbergh flick, behind Out of Sight and Traffic. ... I just think he got into such an incredible groove with those three flicks. ....

agreed.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Gold Trumpet

• The Master of Three Worlds
  • Respect: +181
The Limey
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2003, 08:44:04 PM »
When I first saw this movie, I liked it. I had my dad watch it also because it felt like he could like it too; his taste solidified by the Eastwood Man With No Name Trilogy which put one man out for revenge and against large numbers and kicking ass. I figured he would have liked it. He really didn't. Yea, some of the scenes were enjoyable for him because it had Stamp kicking ass, but the movie wasn't as fun as the others and, as he said, dragged off into a general drama he didn't care much for.

For what he was looking for, he was right in what he said. The movie also is trying to be an effective drama, but so many scenes came off to me as that kind of revenge flick. To get to my eventual problem with the film, its with this I realized how general the movie was about everything and not focused on anything. Stamp is haunted by the death of his daughter, but so many scenes are for pay off of general revenge movie and it ends in general thriller more than a dramatic pay off worthy of his condition. Fonda has a great character, but his role is not really delved into because the movie is trying to have so many pay offs of other genres. And then finally the revenge flick isn't there because the drama is always creeping in. I'd like to have a seen a tonal vision for the film in what it wanted to be. Its very enjoyable to watch, but delves little into anything. Dramatically, my only satisfaction was with that last scene of the flashback and the daughter's threats to call cops only bluff - what ended up killing her. Its just a nice moment at the end and since it stands out so memorably that it may be an example of how the rest of the movie is so general.

~rougerum

soixante

• The Magic Flight
  • Respect: +6
The Limey
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2003, 11:55:30 AM »
This movie reminded me of Point Blank, John Boorman's wonderful 1967 man-seeking-revenge film.  Both Soderbergh and Boorman took the basic revenge story, which is very streamlined, and turned it on its head.  In Point Blank, Lee Marvin portrays a criminal who hunts down his former associates in L.A.  Like Point Blank, The Limey gives us L.A. through the eyes of an outsider.

Stamp has a wonderful relentlessness.  Fonda deftly portrays moral weakness, in his proclivity for teenaged girls, and in his choice of business associates.

Guzman is great, as usual, and Leslie Ann Warren is a welcome relief from all the macho posturing.

Nicky Katt steals the picture, with his speech about "This is a lifestyle I embrace."  Katt supplies both malevolence and comedy relief in equal measure.

I also like the way Soderbergh captured L.A.  He made use of locations that are seldom, if ever, seen in films.  

And of course, there is one of my favorite lines of dialogue ever, from the FBI agent:  "There's just one thing I don't understand.  What I don't understand is every motherfucking word you just said."
Music is your best entertainment value.

aclockworkjj

• Respect: +1
The Limey
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2003, 01:51:43 AM »
tell me about jenny.

cowboykurtis

• Respect: +8
The Limey
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2003, 03:32:24 PM »
visually gorgeous. wasnt a big fan of terrance stamp -- he really makes or breaks the movie. i jsut didnt feel any desperation of anger from him. i thought he was almost a characature of "the angry brit". Some ncie conceptual moments -- just not enough in the script to amke a satisfying story for me. it felt like a short film that was stretched into a feature.
...your excuses are your own...

socketlevel

• Respect: +75
The Limey
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2003, 12:32:33 AM »
best fucking commentary on the planet!  two great minds fighting the entire way through.  i challenge you to find another better commentary!  almost as entertaining as watching the film.
the one last hit that spent you...

NEON MERCURY

• Respect: +18
The Limey
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2004, 08:15:55 PM »
.......its been a while since i saw this and popped it in last night and i still thinks its a solid film..

highlights
-..stamp..phucking cool as sh*t man....like a tame ben kingsley from sexy beast

-nicky katt..phucking hularious especially the sh*t he says about the people walking by as there filming the scenes ..

-the editing was great..its fun to fit it all together as the film goes...

-cliff martinez is the sh*t ...

-it was awesome how soderbergh used an older film the stamp was in for flasbacks..its a cool idea.....
-better use of the who's "seeker" vs. american beauty

-peter fonda has large gums

Jeremy Blackman

• Admin
  • Respect: +1501
The Limey
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2004, 09:00:53 PM »
Quote from: NEON MERCURY
-better use of the who's "seeker" vs. american beauty

In fact, one of the best song openings ever. The editing is absolutely perfect.
"Hunger is the purest sin"

SiliasRuby

• Spits Hyperbole Like Nobody's Business
  • Respect: +2
The Limey
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2004, 11:49:15 AM »
I just saw the opening of this film in my post production class a week ago and based on that opening, I tried to find it and buy it. Luckily enough, I found it at The Wherehouse for only 6.99 used and the DVD works fantasticly. This has become my second fav. soderbergh flick with Traffic still at number one and Out of Sight being bumped down to Number 3. God, I really love this solid film.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

DMCA & Copyright | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy