XIXAX Film Forum

Alexander Payne

MacGuffin · 95 · 21590

Jeremy Blackman

• Admin
Reply #90 on: August 12, 2017, 12:20:33 PM
I don't know why but there is something about the premise, the cast, this photo, the idea of Alexander Payne + Black Mirror, that really makes me want to see this right away!

http://www.slashfilm.com/downsizing-first-look-matt-damon-shrinks-himself-for-director-alexander-payne/

On a slight tangent, I love Slash Film — and especially their podcast — but they really need to redesign that website.
"Hunger is the purest sin"

Robyn

• The Master of Two Worlds
Reply #91 on: August 12, 2017, 02:16:40 PM
I agree with it sounding good.

And they look so creepy in that picture. I hope it get's creepy. Like, really creepy.

Just Withnail

• The Master of Two Worlds
    • Truls Krane Meby's website
Reply #92 on: August 17, 2017, 10:48:22 AM
I finally get to say "they shot this in my neighbourhood!". Parts of it are shot on a boat right outside the northern Norwegian town where I grew up.

wilder

Reply #93 on: September 12, 2019, 12:24:05 PM
Netflix Wins Alexander Payne’s Next Film; Mads Mikkelsen To Star
via Deadline

Netflix has made a deal to finance and release the next film by director Alexander Payne. Sources said the film doesn’t yet have a title, but that it is going to star Mads Mikkelsen, who is finalizing his deal. It was described to me as a father/daughter story about a Danish journalist who takes a road-trip with his teenage daughter across the US as he writes a story for a newspaper.

The film will begin shooting next month in Sweden, Denmark and the US. Several distributors bid for Payne’s film. Script was written by Erlend Loe (Nord). It will be produced by Bona Fide Productions’ Albert Berger and Ron Yerxa, and Lizette Jonjic of Zentropa Productions.

The deal gives Netflix a solid awards season film for next year, following a bumper crop of awards films upcoming this fall. Plan is for the film to be released in fall, 2020. Payne has won two Oscars, for writing The Descendants and Sideways (both of which he directed), and he has been a critical favorite since launching his career on Citizen Ruth followed by the Oscar-nominated Election, which has established itself as something of a cult classic. His other films include Downsizing, About Schmidt and Nebraska.

Payne has other projects percolating that include The Menu, a dark satirical comedy he was putting together earlier this year to direct, with Emma Stone and Ralph Fiennes circling to star in a Will Tracy & Seth Reiss-scripted satire that focuses on an eccentric culinary event that is planned for an exclusive island and becomes the hot ticket to die for. I’ve heard it referred to as a Tarantino-esque take on The One-Percent. That was shopped back in April. But the Netflix film will be his next.

Must be this:

Alexander Payne To Direct Road Trip Flick 'My Saga'
via The Playlist

If you've had an ear tuned to the literary world over the past year or two, you'll likely have heard the name Karl Ove Knausgaard. He's the Norwegian author whose claim to fame is his six volume, no holds barred, dirty laundry and all autobiography "My Struggle," which has made him a sensation, and now he better get ready for some more attention.

Alexander Payne has signed up to direct "My Saga." The road trip movie will be based on Knausgaard's travel writing for New York Times magazine, which saw him journey through the northern United States, retracing the steps the Vikings took through the country. His work was published across two parts which you can read here and here. It seems like a good fit for the filmmaker who has spun previous on-the-road stories in "Sideways" and "Nebraska."

It's all early stages, and there's no writer attached yet, so this will be a while in coming. Next for Payne is "Downsizing" starring Reese Witherspoon, Matt Damon, Alec Baldwin, Neil Patrick Harris and Jason Sudeikis. Production will begin this year for release in 2017.

wilder

Reply #94 on: December 21, 2019, 04:23:01 AM
^ Rights issues cancel Alexander Payne-directed Mads Mikkelsen Netflix Film - Deadline

Olivia Colman to Star in HBO, Sky Crime Series ‘Landscapers,’ Alexander Payne to Direct
via Variety

Olivia Colman has found her next role, and it sounds killer.

The Oscar winner, who is currently one season into her two-season run as Queen Elizabeth II on Netflix’s “The Crown,” has signed on to lead a crime drama titled “Landscapers” which has received a series order at HBO and Sky. Fellow Academy Award winner Alexander Payne (“The Descendants”) is set to direct the series which is being written by Ed Sinclair.

Inspired by real events, “Landscapers” explores the lives of convicted killers Susan (Colman) and Christopher Edwards (casting TBD) and asks how this devoted and mild-mannered couple came to kill Susan’s parents and bury them in the back garden of their Mansfield home in the U.K. Their crime remained undiscovered for over a decade.

Per HBO, the series is based on hours of interviews with the real-life figures behind the crime who have always maintained their innocence.