XIXAX Film Forum

Criterion News and Discussion

Gold Trumpet · 2376 · 414408

jenkins

• The Master of Two Worlds
Reply #2370 on: February 03, 2020, 09:50:13 PM
was making myself aware of what’s going on at criterion: this joan rivers show is a special feature on the paris is burning release

wilder

Reply #2371 on: May 02, 2020, 08:24:20 AM

Quote from: Criterion
Before he became known as the king of the subversive, lavishly overwrought 1950s melodrama, German émigré director Douglas Sirk made his mark in Hollywood with a string of historical dramas, film noirs, comedies, and musicals. Displaying his sophistication, cutting intelligence, and visual flair, these unsung 1940s works—the sparkling caper A SCANDAL IN PARIS, the offbeat show-business satire SLIGHTLY FRENCH, and the perversely fascinating noirs LURED and SHOCKPROOF—paint a fuller picture of one of the studio era’s most intriguing and endlessly analyzed auteurs.

putneyswipe

• The Vision Quest
Reply #2372 on: May 21, 2020, 09:32:00 PM
I've been subscribed for about a year and this is the best selection I've seen yet, so much good stuff on the Channel right now:

Maren Ade's first two films
Jia Zhangke's The World & Unknown Pleasures
Paul Schrader's Comfort of Strangers
Louis Malle Documentaries
Columbia Noir
4 from Jafar Panahi

etc.

jenkins

Reply #2373 on: May 21, 2020, 10:16:39 PM
Comfort of Strangers i've been meaning to go back to and i. did. not. expect. the. criterion. release! you know, i was too young when i first watched it, i think, and the dvd transfer might be bad too, maybe

Unknown Pleasure is an all-timer for me, and  i heavily referenced Jafar Panahi's The Mirror in my first book, it's a true favorite

putneyswipe

• The Vision Quest
Reply #2374 on: May 21, 2020, 10:39:47 PM
I watched it last night for the first time, loved it. The transfer is glorious

jenkins

Reply #2375 on: May 21, 2020, 10:44:00 PM
i bet a younger me didn't understand the tone, didn't register the tone. i think i used to need movies to like explain themselves to me. i watched this a long time ago, bought it in a wal-mart dvd bin, still own that dvd