XIXAX Film Forum

Criterion News and Discussion

Gold Trumpet · 2366 · 407228

samsong

• The Master of Two Worlds
    • http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&sub=All&id=samsong
Reply #2190 on: June 13, 2014, 05:08:53 AM
barnes and noble's 50% off criterion sale will run for 3 days shy of the entirety of next month starting on the 1st.  curious about judex and picnic at hanging rock... worth blind buying for $20?

Larry

• The Road of Trials
Reply #2191 on: June 16, 2014, 05:21:22 PM
ERASERHEAD!!! :D

also buying Nashville & Persona at BN right now!!!!

MacGuffin

• Admin
Reply #2192 on: June 16, 2014, 06:02:27 PM
September Criterion Releases Include Lynch's 'Eraserhead,' Polanski's 'Macbeth' & Horror Classic 'The Innocents'

It's the middle of the month, and we know what that means. Well, for us, it means realizing we have $70 to last us until payday, but for the more frugal cinephiles among you, it means that it's time for Criterion to announce what they've got coming up three months down the line. And once more, there are some treats in store.

Kicking things off, and certainly the headliner, is David Lynch's seminal 1977 first feature "Eraserhead," the first of the director's features to make the collection. The film will be displayed on a new 4K digital restoration, along with new restorations of six Lynch shorts (1966's "Six Figures Getting Sick," 1968's 'The Alphabet," 1970's "The Grandmother," 1974's "The Amputee Part 1 and 2," and 1996's "Premonitions Following An Evil Deed," plus interviews and a 2001 documentary by Lynch called "Eraserhead Stories." So yeah, pretty much a must buy when it lands on September 16th. 

Unlike Lynch, Polanski's a regular in the Collection, but his 1971 take on "Macbeth" will be hitting just in time for the upcoming Michael Fassbender/Marion Cotillard take on Shakespeare's classic. Again with a 4k restoration, it'll be accompanied by both a 1971 documentary, and a brand new one about the making of the film, plus an essay by critic Terence Rafferty. That hits 23rd of September.

The same day also brings Jack Clayton's superb ghost story "The Innocents." A 1961 version of Henry James' "The Turn Of The Screw," a favorite of Martin Scorsese, gets the 4k restoration, an audio commentary from historian Christopher Frayling, a new interview about the cinematography by Freddie Francis, and archive interviews with other crew members. The film's not as well known in the States as in the UK, but it's absolutely brilliant, and as definitive as the earlier two pictures.

Finally, the month closes out with Serge Bourgignon's "Sundays And Cybele." Not necessarily as sexy as some of the others, the film, which won the foreign-language Oscar in 1962, is somewhat overshadowed now, but could get a boost in its reputation. The release gets a 2k restoration, new interviews with the director and actress Patricia Gozzi, and "La sourire," the 1960 short that won Bourguignon the Palme D'Or. That lands on September 30th, the same day that Fassbinder's "Ali: Fear Eats The Soul" gets an overdue upgrade to blu.

Speaking of, it was announced last week that Criterion will no longer be doing dual-format releases — supposedly, a surprisingly small number of customers have made the upgrade to Blu, and the experiment didn't pay off. What do you think about the decision? Are you pleased, or unhappy? Talk it out below in the comments.
“Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art.” - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

jenkins

Reply #2193 on: June 19, 2014, 03:46:02 PM
where i'm at now is i'm considering what i'll buy during the b&n sale. $60 is mega spending for me, that's my roof. my idea was to post cover pics and pretend this was me in a store making a buying decision, but already my list is long, and anyway it's only june 19

i'll keep this first part textual:

The Essential Jacques Demy
i'll want this, it'll be released toward the end of july, and it'd be the only one i could buy. oooh that's tricky

All That Heaven Allows
if i don't go for demy, this is guaranteed. 2 remain

Badlands
one day i gotta, right. i'll pick it up and want it, but i won't buy it because i have so many parts of it memorized already. my guess

The Big City
previously i've considered this until the end, and i wonder if not choosing it before will tarnish its potential future. i still want this

Children of Paradise
i'll think about this one but i bet i won't buy it, and i might

Les Cousins/Le beau Serge
i keep thinking about both but i don't know which one to get so i end up getting neither

Gate of Hell
i bet it's so pretty and i bet i'd watch it one time. i bet i'll pick this up and want it and not buy it, and i should work out a hulu situation for this

Last Days of Disco
oh i love it and it'd be an essential for me, if i could think of a good reason it needs to be on blu-ray

The Long Day Closes
adore it. i'd call it a top contender. is it really? time, time will tell

Master of the House
this one's tricky. dreyer, an essential. silents, essentials. but 1925, and i think they really get going a couple years later. of course, dreyer went into the passion next, so this must be great, and i'm probably underestimating

Il sorpasso
this looks adorable. this is why i'm not sure what i'm most likely to purchase

Summer with Monika
what i said about badlands and children of paradise

La vie de bohème
shadows in paradise is one of my favorite movies, and please notice how i haven't called other movies my favorite, how i don't go around calling any movie i see my favorite. but i'm not sold on this yet, for some reason

samsong

Reply #2194 on: June 20, 2014, 05:36:13 AM
all that heaven allows + badlands + the long day closes seems to be the way to go.  well, since your inclination is probably to do the opposite of what i suggest, those are probably your worst choices...

what, no love for ace in the hole?  pickpocket?  hearts and minds?  l'eclisse? 

Axolotl

• Shoutbox Moderator
Reply #2195 on: June 20, 2014, 06:29:23 AM
If I could only buy two out of those I'd take The Long Day Closes and Badlands.
Because really are you seriously not going to buy a Terrence Malick movie on Blu Ray?

samsong

Reply #2196 on: June 30, 2014, 12:27:55 AM
it has begun

jenkins

Reply #2197 on: July 02, 2014, 07:08:27 PM
important days for people to share their personal criterion stories because other people can be seduced

made this decision:

all that heaven allows
^which i'm saving to watch with a person during a romantic night, which won't be tonight because we're going to see bound by flesh

la vie de bohème
^i think i like this more than shadows in paradise, which confuses me because i watch many movies and i commonly call shadows in paradise a favorite. not sure what this means except aki kaurismäki is my spiritual brother and i'd let him eat my legs if our plane crashed and he needed food

decision round 2:
there are so many i want to buy that i'm roping in a hulu+ situation for myself and upgrading my purchase selection to four. i'll first say i don't think i'll buy badlands just 'cause that's seriously locked in my memory banks already, i'll second say --

il sorpasso
^sounds like loads of fun. sounds like it has life mysteries and giggles and cars and different places. sounds delicious

the long day closes
^this in my movie collection will make my life better, just obviously, so i need to do this

pierre petaix
^freshly enticed by this possibility and it's pretty cheap you know, considering

a hard day's night
^bet it's so lovely and imaginative and they show this video of it uhh so glorious and i bet i'll watch it once

essential jacques demy
^reminding myself it'll be a sad loss for me when this is released and i can't own it

samsong

Reply #2198 on: July 02, 2014, 07:31:06 PM
had a few coupons for an additional discount.  my first haul from the sale:

ace in the hole
all that heaven allows
hearts and minds
red river

intending to pick these up before the sale ends:

pickpocket
breaking the waves
persona
l'eclisse
jules and jim
the hidden fortress
throne of blood

considering for blind buy:

the freshman
judex
la vie de boheme

jenkins

Reply #2199 on: July 02, 2014, 08:02:34 PM
la vie de bohème has a straight pickpocket visual reference, sam fuller writes a check for an artist's insane pitch, jean-pierre léaud plays the rich man roped into the artists' con, louis malle shares his money so the artist doesn't starve, and amid all this is paris and the glorious matti pellonpää. it's absurdly brilliant, scene by scene

samsong

Reply #2200 on: July 02, 2014, 08:17:56 PM
well, that on top of the fact that my favorite kaurismaki is shadows in paradise (:shock:) has me sold. 

• SBD
  • positive energy;
Reply #2201 on: July 03, 2014, 04:09:21 AM
judex is a very safe blind buy, samsong.

Ravi

• Admin
Reply #2202 on: July 03, 2014, 12:55:40 PM
I bought A Hard Day's Night and the Cassavetes set. I plan on getting Nashville and the Demy set also.

samsong

Reply #2203 on: July 03, 2014, 04:30:09 PM
judex is a very safe blind buy, samsong.

how does it compare to eyes without a face?  I'm not a big fan of that one.

• SBD
  • positive energy;
Reply #2204 on: July 03, 2014, 04:55:32 PM
hm. well, it's pretty different. if you hate 'eyes without a face' i would stay away i guess. but i would say judex is greatly superior.