Author Topic: Oscars....Yes or No?  (Read 4736 times)

jenkins

• The Master of Two Worlds
  • Respect: +1656
Re: Oscars....Yes or No?
« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2018, 10:47:58 PM »
BEE's useless anger tires me, but that's unrelated to you people

eward

• Respect: +164
« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2018, 11:12:04 PM »
Could you elaborate? Which aspects of said anger specifically, and how/why useless?
"Do you laugh at jealousy?"

"No, I don't even laugh at seasickness! I happen to regard jealousy as the seasickness of passion."

jenkins

• Respect: +1656
« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2018, 11:29:13 PM »
+2
lamenting the loss of film as the center of culture is romantic i guess, being pissed off about it is useless energy. in my previous post that i deleted i asked if film being lost is any worse than opera or plays or books. i mentioned how a caveperson didn't think "i need something to read now." that's not what cavepeople were thinking about. they didn't see books coming back then, like we can't see what's coming after the internet now. it won't be vr (i can't fucking wait for hologram chambers). it won't be tv because that already happened. tv and vr are niche markets, and the market place is now niche. that's because the cultural platform is the internet. BEE is on it, that's why people are talking about what he's talking about, they wouldn't be talking about that if they weren't hearing him from the internet. his show being popular is actually an excellent example of the power of the internet. but he's pissed about movie shit: so human. i also had this thing about how i don't think the internet has altered the general character of being human, so in some ways the internet is overrated as well, i want the next thing too, i'm ready for us to be over the internet. but still here i am.

BB

• The Vision Quest
  • Respect: +118
« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2018, 09:36:48 PM »
+2
it's the internet of course it is. it affects culture in the way the center does: how we think, what we do, what we talk about, what we wear, etc. i can easily find people who don't watch tv, but good luck finding those who avoid the internet ("the new rebellion")

Of interest, too, is that probably THE central sub-medium of the internet is web video, which is film. The internet ate everything, but its heart and lifeblood remains film. People are constantly watching short form content, they're just not the type of content we who grew up with capital-F Film culture hold dear (ie. feature-length, well-produced, etc.). But they could be if this is what people wanted. This is the true democratization of the form, the thing Coppola talks about at the end of Hearts of Darkness. We've now seen what the little fat girl in Ohio makes ... and it's Musical.lys and vlogs and the Shiggy challenge. Whether or not we like it, this is filmmaking -- sans professionalism.

I'm not sure, however, that Coppola's closing remark, that this is when film will finally become an art form, has been realized. Certainly, I don't think there's been much in the way of web video that compares with the best of cinema on the basis of artistic merit. At least I haven't seen it if it's out there. But this is not so much an internet/film problem as a democracy problem.

DMCA & Copyright | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy