XIXAX Film Forum

Knives Out

WorldForgot · 2 · 195

WorldForgot

• The Ultimate Boon
  • 'change your hair, change your life'
    • portfolio ~
on: November 29, 2019, 01:42:51 PM

When renowned crime novelist Harlan Thrombey is found dead at his estate just after his 85th birthday, the inquisitive and debonair Detective Benoit Blanc is mysteriously enlisted to investigate.

A great script and the cast knows it. Real cozy movie, and a PG-13 that gets away with two smarmy "fucks."
More Brothers Bloom than Brick, if that means anything to ya ~

Is it too in love with genre movez to be emotionally effective, or am I jealous that he gets to focus so much on genre, my focus stuck watching all the technical bits? Baby Driver is its most apt comparison, I feel like, because I appreciate every inch of its production, yet don't feel emotionally moved when I watch. While, in Knife + Heart or Parasite I can see the same threading of trope-playground without having that obscure my emotional investment.

samsong

• The Master of Two Worlds
    • http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&sub=All&id=samsong
Reply #1 on: December 01, 2019, 06:40:14 PM
i joked to my wife that this was get out: white guilt whodunit edition as we left the theater.  enjoyed this considerably more than peeleís blunt political statement as genre exercise, but this isnít great either.  adequately fun time at the movies with strong performances.