The Lighthouse

Started by The Ultimate Badass, June 22, 2019, 11:24:19 PM

The Ultimate Badass

The Lighthouse is Robert Eggers'  follow-up to his 2015 The Witch.

No trailer or specific release date yet for this (sometime 2019), but just look at this publicity image! Eggers is intent on walking the tight rope over the Chasm of the Ridiculous to the place he wants to go and I love it. From what I understand from reading the reactions of those who've seen it, he pulls it off...again.

This is the movie I'm most looking forward to so far this year.

jonas

Well this is looking very interesting, I love Dafoe's voice.

"Mein Führer, I can walk!" - Dr. Strangelove

Robyn

Alethia

Alethia

Sleepless

He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Alethia

Yeah man I keep playing this trailer over and over, could not be more excited.

Tictacbk

Alethia

Drenk

Ascension.

polkablues

My house, my rules, my coffee

Alethia

This was incredible. I emerged soaking wet.

samsong

i was amused by this.  found its brilliance to be maddeningly intermittent.  at its best it flaunts a style as substance, over the top baroque overindulgence reminiscent of the scarlet empress but this is definitely a case of the sum of its parts being significantly greater than the whole, at least for me.  performances are great/nuts, and i laughed quite a bit.  definitely worth seeing. 

day after hindsight revision:  this has gotten better the more i sit with it, but it was a bit more of a chore to sit through at times than the witch ever was.   still, really good.  eggers is solidly 2 for 2.

Fuzzy Dunlop

This was really really cool. Definitely worth seeing on the big screen in a theatre with a great sound system.

Something Spanish

can't say I understood every bit of dialogue on first viewing, much like The Witch, not that that matters, the gist of the action is overt enough for some words to fly over your head. loved it, eyes glued to the screen in fascination of something this different and out there, a pastiche of loony and disturbing sequences played ad nauseam, upping the insanity ante with each revolution. Dafoe and Patterson are incredible, some career best performances, but Eggers' meticulous accuracy of speech and setting is jarring, from limericks to sailor songs, the authenticity pays off wondrously. at a certain point it was almost like watching the most sadistic version of a Tom and Jerry cartoon. will watch again ASAP, but really looking forward to watching this with subtitles, to get it all in. 

hard to imagine a two man movie sustaining interest to this extent. movie fucking rules. it's out of control good. the b&w is perfect, can't imagine the thing hitting its notes in color. Eggers is a beast. the shit he gets away with is as rare for a movie with this caliber of actors as can be. the dude does whatever the fuck he wants and it all amazingly works to damn near perfection.