XIXAX Film Forum

Doctor Sleep (sequel to The Shining)

Sleepless · 6 · 126

Sleepless

• The Master of Three Worlds
  • I told you I would eat you
on: June 14, 2019, 10:41:47 AM
So the trailer surprised me...

He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Robyn

• The Master of Two Worlds
Reply #1 on: June 14, 2019, 02:50:13 PM
Thought the thread title was a joke. What the hell...

Mike Flanagan has made some good things lately, but this looks bad.

eward

Reply #2 on: June 14, 2019, 03:04:56 PM
King must be thrilled with the direction this took.
"Do you laugh at jealousy?"

"No, I don't even laugh at seasickness! I happen to regard jealousy as the seasickness of passion."

Robyn

Reply #3 on: June 14, 2019, 03:30:48 PM
Oh, so Stephen King wrote the sequel? I knew that!

Spoiler: ShowHide
 :yabbse-sad:

Sleepless

• The Master of Three Worlds
  • I told you I would eat you
Reply #4 on: June 14, 2019, 04:21:27 PM
context.

Director Mike Flanagan revealed (via BloodyDisgusting) that these are all recreations and not just a redux of footage form Kubrick’s film. The only image taken directly from Kubrick’s work is the shot of the bloody elevators.

Flanagan said his “Doctor Sleep” adaptation was made with “the full support of the Kubrick estate, who were willing to provide us with his designs.”

The director added that “Doctor Sleep” will serve as an adaptation of King’s novel that exists in “the same cinematic universe” as Kubrick’s movie. Given that King has long been outspoken about his dislike of Kubrick’s version of his beloved story, bridging the gap between the two visions of the story doesn’t sound like an easy task.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Drenk

Reply #5 on: June 14, 2019, 04:38:00 PM
Okay. But Gerald's Game by Flanagan is probably the best King adaptation I've seen.
I'm so many people.