jenkins

• The Master of Two Worlds
on: May 30, 2019, 07:24:24 PM
Oh fuck: Hillbilly Elegy

Its imdb page

Ron Howard director
Vanessa Taylor (The Shape of Water) writer
based on the book by J D Vance

even talking about how this tires me tires me. i'm so tired. let me short story this:

the writer is a white republican from ohio. a yale professor corrected his life course by suggesting he go to yale. he calls himself appalachian and some dispute that, although it is true that large parts of southern ohio echo the culture of appalachia (including within my own family). he broke into the 2016 election scene by speaking of the troubles being faced by the white working class. he said he had trouble understanding how he was a cashier struggling to pay his bills while black people had nice cell phones and food stamps.

he's bad news. solutions to the wrong kinds of problems. fuel for the wrong perspective. this is regressiveness that thinks it's progressive.  this movie is a mistake

the only silver lining is that i was already not into ron howard so that makes not liking this easier

there is a 0% chance i will see this movie ever

jenkins

Reply #1 on: June 25, 2019, 12:57:55 AM
lmao i'd totally forgotten i'd started a cautionary thread about Hillbilly Elegy. i've switched this into a general topic about trash releases in 2019

jenkins

Reply #2 on: August 07, 2019, 10:22:30 AM
this breaks my heart in a different way

wilberfan

• The Magic Flight
Reply #3 on: August 07, 2019, 09:45:16 PM
I see your Addam's Family, and raise you Cats.

"Trying to fit in since 2017."

eward

Reply #4 on: August 07, 2019, 11:57:12 PM
The trailer everyone is afraid to admit made them a tad horny.
The face in the misty light...

jenkins

Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 04:30:31 PM

itís actually out already, in limited release, and hulu

itís contemporary pulsed

itís very on trend. basically oh a decade ago there was mumblecore, and now thereís creative nonfiction, which is like mumblecore, but it involves investigating other peopleís lives

and of course when you enter a life from the outside itís all so mysterious and fascinating

podcasts have helped spawn this narrative form and i think itís bad trash. i think itís sloppy and lazy

do your discovery, then make your documentary. basically itís creators learning out loud, oh god, puh-lease

since i am not interested in this narrative trend i will be the kind throwing gas in its fire. any advertisement is good advertisement sure