Author Topic: The Favourite  (Read 660 times)

wilder

• Respect: +1882
The Favourite
« on: July 09, 2018, 05:58:10 PM »
+2

A bawdy, acerbic tale of royal intrigue, passion, envy and betrayal in the court of Queen Anne in early 18th century England. At the center of the story is the Queen herself (Olivia Colman), whose relationship with her confidante, adviser and clandestine lover Sarah Churchill, Duchess of Marlborough (Rachel Weisz) is turned upside down by the arrival of the Duchess’s younger cousin Abigail (Emma Stone). Soon the balance of power shifts between the women as they jockey for influence with the Queen and the court.

Directed by Yorgos Lanthimos
Written by Deborah Davis & Tony McNamara
Starring Olivia Colman, Emma Stone, Rachel Weisz, Mark Gatiss, Joe Alwyn, and Nicholas Hoult
Release Date - November 23, 2018

Kal

• The Master of Two Worlds
  • Success is not a goal, it's a byproduct.
  • Respect: +207
Re: The Favourite
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 07:26:27 PM »
This looks great and nuts. Yorgos  :bravo: :bravo:

jenkins

• Respect: +1706
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 08:47:43 PM »
he's keeping cinema weird

jenkins

• Respect: +1706
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2018, 05:58:44 PM »
+1
i'm not a fan of period pieces, and i myself haven't fully embraced Lanthimos--but how unpredictable life is indeed, for i expect this one to win me over on both accounts. he makes total sense to me in this context, both for reasons i can explain and unaccountable reasons related to inner impulses

putneyswipe

• The Call to Adventure
  • Respect: +23
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2018, 12:21:48 AM »
Your suspicions were correct, Jenkins. Lanthimos continues to be one of my favorite directors currently working. If you told me 4 years ago that, of all people, Yorgos fucking Lanthimos would be directing a film that looks like a frontrunner for best picture I would have thought you were insane, yet here we are and he seems to not have sacrificed much of his artistic integrity.

It's probably his most comedic film, but it's also by far his most beautiful. I'm not sure if it was shot on 35mm but it looks like it. The way he breaks every rule in the book cinematographically (using fish eye, filming faces from below, blown-out windows, etc.) and has it all work is kind of breathtaking. The guy is a master. He's like an artier Tarantino in that every film now feels like a singular, must-watch event. The one thing general audiences are going to have an issue with is the ending, and all I'll say is that if you've seen any of his other films, expecting traditional catharsis seems futile, so I had reserved hopes before it happened. The endings still continue to probably be my biggest reservation with his work, but if 95% of the film is masterfully crafted and the ending falls short of that, I usually just end up forgetting about it.

This is also a rare film led by an ensemble of female characters which isn’t necessarily a “female” film told from a female perspective for only for female audiences, or a victim/empowerment narrative. You could easily see this story playing out with three men, which is why the this feels so refreshing. Stone, Colman and Weisz really get to dig into these characters, you can see just from their faces that they've been waiting for these kind of roles for a long time.

DMCA & Copyright | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy