Author Topic: Halloween  (Read 776 times)

eward

• The Master of Two Worlds
  • Respect: +168
Halloween
« on: June 10, 2018, 05:13:32 PM »

From the creators of George Washington, All the Real Girls, Pineapple Express, Eastbound & Down...

David Gordon Green has had the weirdest career.

This actually looks good! I'm a great fan of the original, and was really into the series in my early teens, so I'm rather excited. Carpenter is back producing and doing the score, Nick Castle is playing Michael again, Danny McBride (!) co-wrote it... Color me enthusiastic!

"Do you laugh at jealousy?"

"No, I don't even laugh at seasickness! I happen to regard jealousy as the seasickness of passion."

WorldForgot

• The Vision Quest
  • 'change your hair, change your life'
  • Respect: +111
    • tweettweet
Re: Halloween
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2018, 12:56:15 AM »
I've only seen the first 3, Rob Zombie's remake, and bits of H20 on television, but mannn do I enjoy those first three. The Shape is iconic and pure nightmare dread. Wonder what Joe Dante woulda done with III. This team coupled with such a strong trailer has me excited they did away with II, Laurie's flip-side fate.

Gonna watch Zombie's H2 soon, and then eventually the franchise. I think Busta Rhymes is in one of 'em. 

eward

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2018, 08:22:25 AM »
I consider the first one an all-time classic, but the others are pretty broadly terrible. 4 and H20 are passable enough, I suppose (H20 brings me cozily back to that late 90s WB-infected Kevin Williamson Dimension Films Scream rip-off era that I remember so fondly, being my early adolescent years and all, so I'm more forgiving of it), but the low budget simplicity and elegance of Carpenter's original - with that beautiful 35mm widescreen cinematography courtesy Dean Cundey - still creates a stirring atmosphere of creepiness and dread.

The Rob Zombie entries are just pathetic and not worth seeking out. I didn't see the Busta Rhymes one but I'm sure it sucks. I'm glad they're ignoring all but Carpenter's original, and his involvement here pushes all of the right geek buttons for me.

My hope is that this one puts the proverbial nail in the coffin with a degree of grace, but then again if it makes enough money, who knows?

"No, I don't even laugh at seasickness! I happen to regard jealousy as the seasickness of passion."

jenkins

• Respect: +1670
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2018, 01:26:43 PM »
+1

eward

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2018, 03:10:15 PM »
Yep, gonna be a fun one!

eward

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2018, 05:41:58 PM »

jenkins

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2018, 06:10:07 PM »

eward

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2018, 02:13:07 PM »
This has me feeling wonderfully geekily anticipatory

jenkins

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2018, 04:13:30 PM »

i have a friend who's the most likely person to like this movie, and he's seen it, and he liked it

eward

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2018, 10:59:07 PM »
This was fun, if a bit rushed-seeming. Canít hold a candle to the original, though it blows every sequel out of the water.

eward

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2018, 11:19:00 PM »
+1
The more I sit with this, the more I realize itís not much better than any of the sequels. It pays considerable homage to the original, and feels sometimes fresh in the sense that itís clearly of our time, but I have to admit I wasnít remotely scared or even particularly suspense-filled at any point. It just rushes on by, familiar and winkingly nostalgic, with almost zero emotional impact.

Which is to say, itís *so* of our time.

WorldForgot

• The Vision Quest
  • 'change your hair, change your life'
  • Respect: +111
    • tweettweet
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2018, 12:51:41 PM »
Past two days have maybe been the saddest I've had working at the theater -- heard more than half a dozen guests say this was better than the "awful first one." The night before we had played the 1978 film, and, of course, there were ironic laughs throughout almost the entire second act.

edit: This video has me remembering -- Hootz n Ruckus are all in the monster movie fun of thingz

BigSock

• The Vision Quest
  • Respect: +33
« Reply #12 on: Yesterday at 05:51:07 AM »
I canít remember the last time I hated a movie so much. Thereís so many obscenely stupid moments and contrivances in this film that it had to have been some sorta troll by David Gordon Green

DMCA & Copyright | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy