XIXAX Film Forum

Overwatch

Jeremy Blackman · 49 · 4171

polkablues

• Child of Myth
  • Admin
Reply #30 on: January 07, 2019, 03:28:43 PM
haha, why? I thought you played games?

I do, but somehow this one in particular is like people are talking in a foreign language from a country I didnít know existed.
That's what fiction is for. It's for getting at the truth when the truth isn't sufficient for the truth.

Robyn

• The Master of Two Worlds
Reply #31 on: January 07, 2019, 03:40:34 PM
You should try it and join the fun!

WorldForgot

• The Ultimate Boon
  • 'change your hair, change your life'
    • portfolio ~
Reply #32 on: January 07, 2019, 04:48:29 PM
Eating Moira's orb/Pharah'z missiles -> players who can use attack characters in defensive modes like this are why I can'tpput this game down. Few shooters allow such a variety of counters.

polkablues

• Child of Myth
  • Admin
Reply #33 on: January 07, 2019, 04:58:26 PM

That's what fiction is for. It's for getting at the truth when the truth isn't sufficient for the truth.

Robyn

Reply #34 on: January 07, 2019, 05:22:51 PM
Eating Moira's orb/Pharah'z missiles -> players who can use attack characters in defensive modes like this are why I can'tpput this game down. Few shooters allow such a variety of counters.

It's the only FPS online game that I have played regularly. One of the reason for this is because I like the characters so much. I identify as nothing but D.Va!

LOL

Just wait until you hit that midlife crisis. Online gaming is the 2019 equivalent of buying a motorcycle.

Jeremy Blackman

• Admin
Reply #35 on: March 01, 2019, 01:17:23 PM
The new hero (Baptiste) is absolutely amazing. Pretty sure he'll be my new main. I've been playing him on PTR. He is insanely fun and can have so much impact on a match.

This is the best gameplay I've seen so far:

"Hunger is the purest sin"

WorldForgot

• The Ultimate Boon
    • portfolio ~
Reply #36 on: March 01, 2019, 02:23:02 PM
Damn that looks fun! This will make a good complement to pubmatches in the Silver range, where so many peepz are using Lucio or Soldier to Damage/Heal switchup.

Robyn

Reply #37 on: March 02, 2019, 05:33:35 AM
yeah, he looks very fun! might be exactly what the game needs right now.

will probably fun to play mercy together with him as well. at least if he positions himself like that.

Robyn

Reply #38 on: March 04, 2019, 03:17:55 PM
the new meta!

Robyn

Reply #39 on: March 08, 2019, 05:33:38 PM
I wonder if we'll see some big changes soon considering the sudden success of Apex Legends and the overall disappointment in the Overwatch community. A lot of people are quitting this game right now, and the dev team have to act quickly if they want their players to stay. Free-for-all will happen for sure, but what's next after that? Interesting times ahead, probably.

I have enjoyed AL quite a lot personally as someone who isn't comfortable communicating all the time. The ping system is so good, and I'll start up the game without feeling that it will become extremely frustrating if I don't talk with my team. I enjoy team based games but sometimes I just want to play a few games without getting drained of my energy because I have to be social.

WorldForgot

• The Ultimate Boon
    • portfolio ~
Reply #40 on: March 08, 2019, 07:01:44 PM
Apex has the most interesting platforming + map of Battle Royale games yet, and the ping system is great. It just doesn't have the squad feeling of Overwatch somehow. The abilities are perks, yeah, but you don't feel a synthesis of collaboration between your three players the way you do on Ovie.

csage97

• The Vision Quest
Reply #41 on: March 27, 2019, 02:30:26 AM
I wonder if we'll see some big changes soon considering the sudden success of Apex Legends and the overall disappointment in the Overwatch community. A lot of people are quitting this game right now, and the dev team have to act quickly if they want their players to stay. Free-for-all will happen for sure, but what's next after that? Interesting times ahead, probably.

I'm one of those players who's mostly quit. I needed some space on my hard drive, and OW was the best candidate for removal since i haven't been enjoying it much lately. I still watch a bit of OWL and some player streams, but I even enjoy those less than before as well.

It's just that the dev team kind of messed up and subsequently failed to make needed changes, in my mind. Brig was a big mistake, and then the game is full of so much CC now (stuns and those types of things that take away a player's ability to move at all). With goats, which has been around for too long, there's less reliance on actual FPS aim than before.  DPS have been obsolete for too long. One of the worst signs is that in OWL, the best flex DPS players in the world are stuck playing Brig, which is just sad. Brig had ~88% pick rate in stage 1 of season 2, while the new hero Ashe had <1% pick rate. You know it's bad when a new hero that is very aim-intensive is basically a throw pick in the pro scene.

Overall, since I'm not playing OW anymore, I'm trying to just cut back on video games in general. I'm not going to completely do away with them because I enjoy lots of them and there's some value in that for me ... but I also enjoy other things that have greater additional value, like reading and learning more than I would when playing games.

Apex is cool though. The biggest things that annoy me about it though is that if I hot drop, I'll die right away about half the time, while getting good teammates is a tossup, and sometimes teammates just want to play looting simulator the whole frigging match.

WorldForgot

• The Ultimate Boon
    • portfolio ~
Reply #42 on: March 27, 2019, 01:02:23 PM
add me on PSN if you'd like an APEX regular! Oblivion152
I've mostly moved onto that game + SEKIRO for now

Jeremy Blackman

• Admin
Reply #43 on: March 27, 2019, 01:32:18 PM
Personally I don't like the rhythm of battle royale games... looting, suspense, battle. And having loot in PvP is something I'm just not really on board for anymore. I prefer an Overwatch game where it's more of a pure straightforward matchup.

Overwatch is a whole lot more fun if you have friends to play with. That's what keeps me playing. Well, that and new heroes.
"Hunger is the purest sin"

WorldForgot

• The Ultimate Boon
    • portfolio ~
Reply #44 on: March 28, 2019, 11:59:22 AM
Yeah, I know what you mean. It feels as if Battle Royale game mechanisms are especially "mobile game"-y in that regard. Apex really curves the pace issue of CoD's Blackout by adding Platformer mechanics. The looting is also exploration. In Apex there are maybe 2 guns in each class that will really make your loadout worthwhile. Knowing which ones those are for your playstyle is one thing -- searching the world and possibly looting enemies (risky!) in order to get it during the endgame racks up the tension.

I wish I had a reliable 6 or even 3 person crew on Overwatch. Me and my roommate were climbing out of bronze for months, and now we've made it to Gold but the teams are just as wonky. It's a lot easier to find two people to fill out a three-squad on Apex because it's free, I guess.