Author Topic: Suspiria  (Read 2500 times)

WorldForgot

• The Vision Quest
  • 'change your hair, change your life'
  • Respect: +125
    • tweettweet
Re: Suspiria
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2018, 12:15:39 PM »
Saw this for a third time yesterday, I think it's my favorite of the year.

My first watch, it felt like an explosion of ideas with a handful falling far off from the target. But now I feel the opposite of putney -- I love that it chews on early giallo's seediness and 35mm color tints with designed subtleties, as opposed to the original's Supernatural surrealism, and each frame is stitched into the next to a point where I've never felt the runtime, and always wanted to investigate each shot's production details. This works for me now as Suzy'z metaphysical guilt trip film and as psychological horror from Josef's POV.

What really helped is I finally saw Edward Yang's Terrorizers

That orange pick axe is the first foreboding prop pointed at our witness, but by the time Josef is sitting in the police office, the production design has literally turned on him.

Shughes

• The Call to Adventure
  • Respect: +49
    • Shaun Hughes Film
Re: Suspiria
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2018, 07:28:38 PM »
Just back from seeing this and not sure what my opinion is. I think I liked it. It sure is overlong and problematic and not for everybody, but it has a way of getting under your skin. Six people walked out during the screening I was at - two of them after arguing with me as I first asked politely, and then told them firmly, to put their phones away - and four due to the pacing from what I could tell.

Spoilers

I don't get why Tilda played multiple roles. I could tell it was her under make up from the first trailer but there was no cinematic payoff to it. I just don't get why they did it - all it did was distract me as I was waiting for some kind of reveal to this obvious trickery.

I also agree that slow motion looks terrible unless it's shot with slow motion in mind. There is an amateur feel to the film at times but I think that rough quality is part of it's alluring charm. It made me think of Nic Roeg during some of the montage work. And it's a lot better than Mother! in my opinion. Thom Yorke's score is excellent - some of the parts with lyrics reminded me of In Rainbows era Radiohead.

DMCA & Copyright | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy