Author Topic: What Films Are We Watching?  (Read 1028 times)

Something Spanish

• The Vision Quest
  • Respect: +113
Re: What Films Are We Watching?
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2018, 09:55:26 AM »
Saw Julien Donkey-Boy over the weekend on 35mm, not sure what to make of that one. It's a ballsy  experiment, giving you the feeling you're watching a disturbed family's home movies, all the more so since it was shot on mini-DV, ultimately not adding up to any traditional satisfaction, though I can't say I regret the experience. Korrine's intentions of putting you in the shoes of a young schizophrenic ultimately pays off, achieving his intended desire, especially since it all fees so authentic, making you forget at times you're watching a movie. Not much happens throughout, except Korrine's depiction of life with mental illness. We basically join Julien in his daily routines. Herzog is funny in the father role, berating his family with off-beat insults, and Ewen Bremner leaves little doubt that he is heavily deranged. Would like to revisit down the road, but way down; the last 5-10 minutes aren't easy to watch.

Realizing that I haven't seen a new Adam Sandler movie since That's My Boy (probably a good thing), I wound up watching Sandy Wexler, and to my surprise enjoyed it for the most part. Sandler is great in an otherwise mediocre to shitty movie and elevates the schlock to a watchable level. The romantic inclinations were beyond corny and unbelievable, like that 90's Woody Allen playing a love interest, the rest was pretty fun and watching Sandler inhabit this character was impressive. Felt like it had the spirit of his earlier flicks like Big Daddy and Deeds, with plenty of moronic cameos from pals like Rob Schneider and Nick Swardson, both generally always good for a few laughs. Would give it a C+. My next move would prove unwise, thinking one good Sandler turn deserves another, I hit play on The Do-Over. That one was bad. Very much so.

Saw most of Tropic Thunder, too. Didn't hold up as well and I was surprisingly turned off the way Stiller spoofs graphic intestine spilling war battles. 

Something Spanish

• The Vision Quest
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2018, 09:22:29 AM »
+1
Pulp Fiction on 35mm this weekend. This is the movie that opened my eyes to the possibilities of filmmaking, that raised me, that took me from PG-13 to R, that intensified my movie obsession like nothing else. Before Pulp it was Gremlins 2, Roger Rabbit, Jurassic Park and Jim Carrey, after it was Godfather, Goodfellas, and The Untouchables. I can remember seeing the TV/print ads at 11 and reading the script, my first ever, at 12. I remember renting the VHS dozens of times and the joy of buying a copy on cassette for my 13th birthday once the price wasn't over $100 (ownership was a struggle on its own since my mom's boyfriend had a bug up his ass about me watching R movies, but that's another story). The screenplay put me in a permanent trance, the dialogue opening portals in my brain though which Scorsese/Coppola/Depalma would soon  stampede through. Those who remember the impact Pulp had at the time know what I'm talking about; it birthed a generation of filmmakers. I've seen it on the big screen once before, an experience that can never get old and that I'll always take advantage of given the opportunity. Not going to get into why this film earns its reputation as one of the GOAT's, but seeing it in my 30's the part that always stands out is the last few minutes, when Jules flips the tables on Pumpkin, holding him at gunpoint. That last speech, where he gives personal meaning to Ezekiel 25:17 is a TKO, saying more about the gangster genre that any flick since.

Something Spanish

• The Vision Quest
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2018, 11:27:05 AM »
+1
Smack in the middle of reading Cassavetes on Cassavetes, decided to watch Husbands for the first time last night. The only other Cassavetes I've seen are Shadows and Love Streams (edit: actually saw Minnie and Moskowitz) , both very interesting. I'm on the Husbands chapter and kept falling asleep trying to watch Faces 2/3 times earlier in the week, most likely induced by the B&W, so wanted to switch it up a bit. Husbands was alright, not as impressive as Shadows, feeling too indulgent for the most part, but at least it was not boring. When you have Cassavetes, Falk, and Gazzarra starring boring is far from problematic. Reading the Cassavetes book, the main takeaway is that the man's sole focus while he's making a movie is his actors' performance and doing everything in his power to bring out the most truthful performance possible. Everything is in service of the performance. I can't say I learned anything about human nature or behavior, as is somewhat intended according to the book, but the trio's chemistry was enough to hold interest. I always assumed the three were tight buds before they got together for Husbands, apparently not the case, although you'd be convinced otherwise when watching it. Their camaraderie makes the flick what it is, and Cassavetes is always so fun when onscreen, in all his roles, not just Husbands. 

KJ

• The Return Threshold
  • Respect: +375
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2018, 03:57:32 PM »
+1

just watched this, and thought it had that movie magic that I can't put my finger on or try to explain without spoiling it - but I recommend it to everyone!

Drenk

• The Master of Two Worlds
  • Respect: +573
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2018, 04:40:44 PM »
It's a very imaginative movie. I got scared by the frenetic japanese rhythm of the first twenty minutes, but that movie just transports you.
I'm so many people.

DMCA & Copyright | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy