XIXAX Film Forum

What Films Are We Watching?

Something Spanish · 111 · 23271

Jeremy Blackman

• Admin
Reply #105 on: March 02, 2020, 01:14:49 AM
Finally saw Vertigo the other week. (MILD SPOILERS.) It was good but doesn't really get going until the twist. Kind of shocked it was AFI's #1 at one point. I can see the argument for it being a great and highly influential film, but do people really think it's one of the very very best?

Jimmy Stewart is wildly miscast, and all the age differentials are very weird in a way that seems unintentional. He has two friends from college who appear to be generations apart. And the "wife" is much younger than her husband, in her early 20s IIRC. Jimmy Stewart is greying and I have no idea how old he's supposed to be. Their age difference is never commented upon. I was more engaged with this mystery than the pre-twist mystery, to be honest.
"Hunger is the purest sin"

jenkins

• The Master of Two Worlds
Reply #106 on: March 02, 2020, 02:09:36 AM
jb it's Sight & Sound and it's still there, from the most recent. it climbed from 11th in 1972. it's not my favorite movie and really if everybody agreed what the best movie was the list would never change. i love the room soaked in neon and kind of forget the rest

samsong

• http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&sub=All&id=samsong
Reply #107 on: March 21, 2020, 06:21:23 AM
yeah, seen Pickup on South Street, he's great in that too. haven't seen him in much else.

re: Denis. can't wait to dig through those treasures.

late to the party, denis is my goddess, all the ones eward mentioned are brilliant/can’t really go wrong, but Beau travail should be your biggest priority, even though there isnt a decent transfer that's readily available.  she’s the best, and agnes godard is a criminally underrated dp, their collaboration indispensable. 

as for night and the city, fuck yeah.  my favorite dassin. also love thieves’ highway, both of which i enjoy much more than rififi.  have you seen Sweet Smell of Success and In a Lonely Place?

first move for quarantine bingefest was Meek’s Cutoff into Almayer’s Folly, which turned out to be a weirdly apt double feature.  the former was very good and makes me even more curious about First Cow, the latter completely blew me away and ill be spending some time catching up on akerman.

Axolotl

• Shoutbox Moderator
Reply #108 on: March 21, 2020, 07:12:50 AM
Have been watching movies on YouTube today, both great decisions:

Feels nice to stumble on good movies through youtube playlists without seeking out specific movies on torrents. Here's a TCM playlist:

jenkins

Reply #109 on: March 21, 2020, 03:15:34 PM
that’s great. great use of the internet and great movies. Poetry and Mother are both important to me

jenkins

Reply #110 on: March 22, 2020, 02:50:19 PM
yesterday i watched three movies. i can't remember the last time i watched three movies in one day but it probably wasn't that long ago i bet, since if i see a double-feature i only have to watch one movie at home to hit the number. anyway so i was at my friend's and he has the criterion channel so i said what about

i shittalk teens and say i don't like teens anymore but then i like things like this and Call Me by Your Name and how does that happen let me tell you. the movie itself doesn't have to act like a teen. all that weird mania that's called teenage sense, save it for the character and let the narrative act like an adult. basically everywhere not america is better at doing this. from the opening shot to the end shot this movie feels as if taking place in reality and basically hits all the right points. idk it's drenched in being great

so then i thought hmm what else and ahh what is that that you have bought semi-recently yes let us watch that

'27. silent obviously. the beginning introduces the sideshow and this stuff is um ethereal to me. the sideshow introduction is holy to me

but in the middle of the movie the score started tiring us so we played forever changes meanwhile and really what can happen did happen which is the score is helpful in that without the score one follows the narrative less successfully. i partially knew what was happening at the end which is a hollywood happy ending taking place at the sideshow

so then i was leaving his place and i thought you know what and so i asked hey do you mind if i borrow this movie and he was like go ahead and borrow this movie

for no particular reason that i can recall i've been wanting to rewatch this movie for a while now. i last saw it a dime and a nickel years ago in a downtown long beach loft i shared with two friends and since i had been with a friend yesterday the whole day became wonderful time traveling. um the um what's going on in the fisher king is what i say all the time which is we're making up the way we look at life use some imagination have fun and remember love you know. in case it's region locked or disappears the following is the waltz scene from this movie