Author Topic: Phantom Thread - Interviews  (Read 6001 times)

Fuzzy Dunlop

• The Vision Quest
  • Respect: +173

modage

• Admin
  • Respect: +747
    • Floating Heads
Re: Phantom Thread - Interviews
« Reply #47 on: December 27, 2017, 07:01:55 AM »
+2
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Something Spanish

• The Vision Quest
  • Respect: +70
« Reply #48 on: December 27, 2017, 10:41:08 AM »

ębrad

• Admin
  • Respect: +233
« Reply #49 on: December 27, 2017, 10:41:33 AM »
Guessing there is a great PTA interview coming up on the Channel 33 podcast as host Sean Fennessey (a legit PTA-head) tweeted a photo of the two of them recently. 👌🏻

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-bill-simmons-podcast/id1043699613?mt=2#episodeGuid=gid%3A%2F%2Fart19-episode-locator%2FV0%2FurTV2-nk63CeDl-brDqaOAszkgj60zzosrG1ud5NPPo

Oooh this one has some great stuff in it.

Are we reaching peak PTA fandom? I'm amazed at how many mainstream media personalities and outlets are fawning over him, especially considering his last two films aren't his most accessible...

Lewton

• The Call to Adventure
  • Respect: +60
« Reply #50 on: December 27, 2017, 06:44:23 PM »
+1
It makes me happy to know that PTA was reading (rereading?) Against The Day.

https://www.gq.com/story/the-dark-optimism-of-paul-thomas-anderson

I know others enjoyed this, and maybe I'm just feeling cranky today, but, with the exception of PTA's quotes, I wasn't a huge fan. The descriptive wrapping thrown around those quotes seems to overly mythologize Anderson in a way that doesn't even necessarily correspond to his public appearances. Kind of reminds me of how Amy Adams said she expected to meet someone who was very aloof and serious prior to filming The Master and then she met PTA and he was warm, friendly, etc.

I mean, for instance, do we really know enough about this person -- a stranger who makes some movies we all enjoy -- to call him "paranoid"? Or a "recluse"? The latter word, at least, is heavily qualified in the article, which leaves me to wonder why it was even brought up at all. He is one of the most visible, voluble, and candid directors out there -- always ready to promote his work in an interesting and communicative way. We have a trove of PTA interviews. He promotes his colleagues' work, even (i.e., showing up in that Tarantino video during The Hateful Eight's press tour). He's not Terrence Malick...which is not to say there's anything wrong with Malick being reclusive -- or seeming more like one than Anderson, anyway.

The parallels drawn between whatever is going on with Day-Lewis' character in PT, and Anderson himself, also feels...kind of flimsy, or at least overstated. Then again, I haven't seen the new film. Still, Anderson has never come across as maladjusted as his characters, but, of course, we don't really know what he's actually like, so whatever people say is just...blah. I just dislike the armchair psychoanalysis of public figures outside of cases where it's warranted and substantiated (as opposed to nosy and speculative). Just stick to the films.

I should be more charitable. It's still an interesting and mostly well-done profile.

ębrad

• Admin
« Reply #51 on: December 27, 2017, 07:07:53 PM »
I should be more charitable. It's still an interesting and mostly well-done profile.

Yes.

Just Withnail

• The Master of Two Worlds
  • Respect: +478
    • Truls Krane Meby's website
« Reply #52 on: December 27, 2017, 07:12:30 PM »
That podcast was great. What an incredible promo round this is.

wilberfan

• The Meeting with the Goddess
  • Respect: +121
« Reply #53 on: December 27, 2017, 07:42:41 PM »
+1
[POSSIBLE SPOILERS]

Here's the post-screening discussion I recorded with PTA, Vicky Krieps, and Leslie Manville at the end of the first public guild screening back on Nov 24th (in Beverly Hills).  (Thanks to csage97 for his audio wizardry in cleaning up the file.)

Phantom Thread Post-Screening Discussion, Nov 24, 2017, Beverly Hills, CA
"There's shadows in life, baby."

csage97

• The Call to Adventure
  • Respect: +14
« Reply #54 on: December 27, 2017, 08:38:40 PM »
[POSSIBLE SPOILERS]

Here's the post-screening discussion I recorded with PTA, Vicky Krieps, and Leslie Manville at the end of the first public guild screening back on Nov 24th (in Beverly Hills).  (Thanks to csage97 for his audio wizardry in cleaning up the file.)

Phantom Thread Post-Screening Discussion, Nov 24, 2017, Beverly Hills, CA

Hey, wildberfan, I'm happy to contribute any small difference it made. :) I still need to send you a further explanation of the things I did (I haven't forgotten! It's been a combo of being busy and then laziness leading to procrastination).

modage

• Admin
  • Respect: +747
    • Floating Heads
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Drenk

• The Return Threshold
  • Respect: +521
« Reply #56 on: January 04, 2018, 10:10:03 AM »
"Unlike so many of his peers, Anderson has managed to extricate himself from the ravelled web of reference and transcend the anxiety of influence."

Good line.
I'm so many people.

Fuzzy Dunlop

• The Vision Quest
  • Respect: +173
« Reply #57 on: January 04, 2018, 02:27:15 PM »
+1
The Bill Simmons podcast is an all-time great PTA interview. The best in many years, better then WTF. It's great to see PTA out of his cagey, vague answers mode.

The real bombshell: He uses fucking Microsoft Word to write his scripts  :shock:

ębrad

• Admin
« Reply #58 on: January 04, 2018, 04:27:26 PM »
The Bill Simmons podcast is an all-time great PTA interview. The best in many years, better then WTF. It's great to see PTA out of his cagey, vague answers mode.

The real bombshell: He uses fucking Microsoft Word to write his scripts  :shock:

Haha I couldn't believe that either. How does he write dialogue? I assume he doesn't center align at all?

Jeremy Blackman

• Admin
  • Respect: +1385
« Reply #59 on: January 04, 2018, 05:03:12 PM »
I think there are screenplay templates for Word.
"Hunger is the purest sin"

DMCA & Copyright | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy