Author Topic: Phantom Thread - SPOILERS!  (Read 13646 times)

wilberfan

• The Meeting with the Goddess
  • Respect: +118
Re: Phantom Thread - SPOILERS!
« Reply #165 on: January 15, 2018, 08:07:29 PM »
[SPOILERS]

A Relationship Expert Psychoanalyzes Phantom Thread’s Twisted Romance

https://www.thecut.com/2018/01/dissecting-the-twisted-relationship-in-phantom-thread.html
"There's shadows in life, baby."

Jeremy Blackman

• Admin
  • Respect: +1383
Re: Phantom Thread - SPOILERS!
« Reply #166 on: Today at 01:54:23 AM »
+1
Initial thoughts. Loved the movie of course. It's unlike anything else I've seen. This, basically:

Phantom Thread’s sort of inverted narrative structure, forming plot almost purely out of emotion, was always the inevitable trajectory that began with Blood and The Master

These two characters and all the emotions and THAT MUSIC are still swimming around in my brain, growing...

I've only begun to skim through, but Wilder you've written some truly brilliant stuff here about the film. I fully agree with the reading that Reynolds's personality disorder is his curse.

Some assorted thoughts before I forget. Apologies if these things have been said....

Their romance begins with Reynolds seducing Alma and sort of establishing dominance. But the real story is Alma seducing him. You can see Reynolds being taken by Alma's playful deviousness bit by bit. Something — perhaps the part of himself that's really not himself (his disorder) — prevents him from submitting to her advances. I so wanted him to submit. He wants to. Alma knows he wants to, so she helps him along. And finally he does. Also, what a bold choice to have them actually fall in love after they're married.

Alma suspected that Reynolds wanted to possess her. And then, indeed, he used language to that effect in his marriage proposal, which I think is why she hesitated and then asked the followup question: "will you marry me?"

After Inherent Vice (sorry, have to say this), it's refreshing to have a PTA movie that knows what it wants and is exactly what it intends to be. This may be one of PTA's less ambitious films on the surface, but it's clearly one of his most perfectly crafted and sneakily complex.
"Hunger is the purest sin"

DMCA & Copyright | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy