XIXAX Film Forum

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

jenkins · 479 · 40557

eward

• The Master of Two Worlds
Reply #465 on: February 07, 2020, 03:58:44 PM
Well. I, uh...  Hmm.  Anyone wanna take this one?

Why Does ‘Once Upon a Time … in Hollywood’ Feature So Many Real-Life Pedophiles?
Quentin Tarantino’s film is filled with sexual abusers — including my great uncle, James Stacy — and parades young female flesh for our consumption

During his opening monologue at the Golden Globes last month, Ricky Gervais announced, “It was a big year for pedophile movies — ‘Surviving R. Kelly.’ ‘Leaving Neverland.’ (pause) ‘The Two Popes.'” The audience erupted in laughter but I felt sick to my stomach. What about “Once Upon a Time … in Hollywood,” a film that went on to win three of the top awards that night, including Best Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy?

Quentin Tarantino’s new movie includes Timothy Olyphant in a supporting role as James Stacy, an actor on the real-life Western TV show “Lancer” (starring Leonardo DiCaprio’s fictional Rick Dalton in the film) who was a serial pedophile. Stacy, who is my great uncle, in 1995 pleaded no contest to molesting an 11-year-old girl and served six years in prison. Although he had a charming role in Tarantino’s latest film, Stacy has long been the villain in my family’s “Once Upon a Time.”

Stacy is just one of at least three real-life men in the film known to have sexually abused young women and children, including Roman Polanski and Charles Manson. The film never mentions any of these men within the context of their historical crimes or calls alarm to sexual desire of minors. Quite the opposite: We are primed to accept and replicate their behavior.

Source

One of the more idiotic things I've read lately. I don't know, given her descriptions of the Manson girls, the near-laughably lascivious nature of what she perceived in the "film language" she references, one gets the feeling Uncle Jim might have passed on to her some of his most unsavory traits.
Everyone has a heart and it's calling for something
And we're all so sick and tired of seeing things as they are...

wilberfan

Reply #466 on: February 07, 2020, 08:19:59 PM
This is today’s Rewatchable

https://www.theringer.com/the-rewatchables

I LOVED this episode.  It highlighted everything that worked in the film for me (a lot of individual moments that are really wonderful), without having to sit thru all the stuff that didn't (some of which are just awful).   What a treat. 
"Trying to fit in since 2017."

eward

Reply #467 on: February 07, 2020, 08:30:41 PM
Lol I adore your relationship with this film.

wilberfan

Reply #468 on: February 07, 2020, 08:35:05 PM
And I get to enjoy you enjoying my relationship with this film.  It's what's going to get me thru this Awards Season.  Maybe I could talk a few of you into joining me for a couple of therapy sessions?
"Trying to fit in since 2017."

eward

Reply #469 on: February 07, 2020, 08:59:31 PM
I’d be down.

Drenk

Reply #470 on: February 07, 2020, 09:18:45 PM
Only if we join the therapy session 1917 style, in one long tracking shot including a lot of running.
Ascension.

Alexandro

Reply #471 on: February 08, 2020, 11:04:10 AM
I gave this two shots (so far). The first time I was truly underwhelmed for reasons other have exposed here before me. Mainly, I felt the film dragged and never really took off. Scenes were good by themselves, some of them great, but the energy kept escaping because everything was taking forever. DiCaprio en Pitt are terrific, the film has some great sequences, a lot to chew on, but I was impatient during most of it.

Still, I went back a week later, this time to an IMAX screening, and sure enough, I quickly realized that on that first showing I had been scammed. There was NO VOLUME at my first screening. At least the speakers weren't properly calibrated. Weird that I didn't notice, as I tend to be that asshole who gets up 20 seconds into the movie to tell an employee to crank the volume up. But  this time, I guess it was loud enough but not correctly so. With the IMAX, I could feel the movie I was really supposed to see all along, and everything was way better.  But still...

Spoiler: ShowHide
 ... around the first sequence of DiCaprio acting within the tv show things started to drag again. I don't understand why that sequence takes so long. I mean the fictional scene, before he forgets his lines. It just goes on and on for no good reason.

I'll give it a third go soon, and hopefully I will see the perfect masterpiece everyone else is, although I've had the same feeling of unnecessary dragging on from Tarantino's films ever since Django Unchained.

My third go actually turned out perfect. Loved it completely. Sometimes it takes a while.

putneyswipe

• The Vision Quest
Reply #472 on: February 08, 2020, 10:04:57 PM
I didn’t understand the purpose of the Lancer shoot scene as well on first view but now (having seen it three times in theatres) that strikes me as the most emotionally genuine part of the movie.

Reelist

• Shoutbox Moderator
Reply #473 on: February 18, 2020, 08:33:37 PM
Was I mistaken or is Rose Mcgowan in the party scene smoking a joint with Steve Mcqueen? If so, she’s uncredited.
Ever have a feeling and you don’t know why?

WorldForgot

• The Magic Flight
  • 'change your hair, change your life'
    • portfolio ~
Reply #474 on: February 19, 2020, 11:10:20 AM
Was I mistaken or is Rose Mcgowan in the party scene smoking a joint with Steve Mcqueen? If so, she’s uncredited.

You're mistaken. That's Dreama Walker (Compliance, Don't Trust the B**** in Apt 23) as Connie Stevens.

eward

Reply #475 on: February 19, 2020, 11:49:44 AM
And have you seen McGowan lately? Her face has been botox’d all out of proportion.

eward

Reply #476 on: February 25, 2020, 03:53:54 PM
Random but...anyone else find it curious that they depict the shooting of the Lancer pilot as taking place on a Sunday? Surely this can't be an oversight.

Sleepless

• The Master of Three Worlds
  • I told you I would eat you
Reply #477 on: February 28, 2020, 09:34:00 AM
Random but...anyone else find it curious that they depict the shooting of the Lancer pilot as taking place on a Sunday? Surely this can't be an oversight.

You'll be delighted to know this has dominated my driving/shower thoughts since I read it. My guess is because Sunday is the night FBI aired? That's a big point of conversation at Spahn Ranch, and then Rick and Cliff watch an episode together that night. Right? Or am I getting bits of the film mixed up?
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

jviness02

• The Road of Trials
Reply #478 on: March 16, 2020, 11:23:58 AM

You'll be delighted to know this has dominated my driving/shower thoughts since I read it. My guess is because Sunday is the night FBI aired? That's a big point of conversation at Spahn Ranch, and then Rick and Cliff watch an episode together that night. Right? Or am I getting bits of the film mixed up?

That’s definitely why it’s being shot on a Sunday in the film’s universe, but would it actually have been shot on a Sunday in real life? I am not sure how production practices were back then, but I have been on productions on Sundays. It’s rare, but not unheard of.