Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

Started by jenkins, December 03, 2017, 05:47:53 PM

Alethia

Quote from: wilberfan on October 28, 2019, 11:07:30 PM
'Once Upon a Time in Hollywood' Blu-ray Releasing in December With Special Collector's Edition

QuoteThe latest film from Quentin Tarantino will hit digital in November and Blu-ray in December, and the latter comes in a special 4K collector's edition loaded with a vintage poster, a vinyl record, and more. Get the full details on the Once Upon a Time in Hollywood Blu-ray below, along with a clip of a deleted scene.

QuoteThe Quentin Tarantino film starring Leonardo DiCaprio, Brad Pitt, and Margot Robbie hits Digital on November 25, and 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray & DVD on December 10.

deep down, you kind of love it.

wilberfan

Quote from: eward on October 28, 2019, 11:26:12 PM

deep down, you kind of love it.

Deep down, I love the movie I wanted it to be after those three thrilling days on the Hollywood Blvd set last year.

I realize now that probably doomed the film for me.   It could never be as good as I wanted it to be--as I was convinced it could be. 
Or...maybe if Sally was still with us...

wilberfan

You Can Watch Quentin Tarantino, Leonardo DiCaprio, and Brad Pitt Talk 'Once Upon a Time in Hollywood' Live in Theaters This Weekend

...Tarantino and stars Leonardo DiCaprio and Brad Pitt are getting together again for your viewing pleasure. The three will take part in a moderated panel discussion to discuss the making of Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, and that discussion is set to be live-streamed exclusively in theaters across the country on Saturday.

Want to get the inside scoop on the making of Once Upon a Time in Hollywood? This weekend you'll have your chance. On November 2 at 3:30 p.m. Eastern time and 12:30 p.m. Pacific time, a screening of the film will be held in theaters across the country. After the screening, moviegoers will be able to watch a live-stream of Quentin Tarantino, Brad Pitt, and Leonardo DiCaprio taking part in a moderated Q&A about the film. The event will be live-streamed from Tarantino's own New Beverly, and the Tarantino, DiCaprio, and Pitt are expected to discuss "the production, their reasons for wanting to make the film, and the challenges and triumphs of bringing 1969-era Hollywood to glorious life on the screen.

The event will be free for all moviegoers but will require tickets.  Tickets will be distributed only at the theaters showing the event on a first-come, first-served basis.  Moviegoers interested in attending the event should arrive early as tickets will be limited.  The event will be exclusive to theaters and will not be streamed online.

List of theaters

wilberfan

It's my sacred duty to report a third viewing.  (Hope springs eternal.) 

Alas.

Even the half hour of extra material is boring. 

Spoiler: ShowHide
There's an extended scene with Charlie that had me shaking my head.  An improvised (?) scene between Rick and Wanamaker that just lays there and goes on forever.

jenkins

you not liking it bothers you way more than us, is funny

wilberfan

Well, then, something positive has come from my combined 8 hour investment in watching this film.  :wink:

jenkins

shit, you've been through so much in regard to trying to like this movie. i'm feeling devastated for you. hey i know it can't give you back those 8 hours of suffering but i know it'll help: rewatch Peanut Butter Falcon

Robyn

Alethia

Downloaded this the other night, was only gonna watch the first fifteen minutes, ended up watching the whole thing. Impossible to turn off. Wilberfan, you've done your best, but you and this film are just oil and water apparently. And there's nothing wrong with that.

Something Spanish

wilberfan

I've been wondering why I put myself thru that again--and I remembered I wanted to see if it played any better with the advertised "20 add'l minutes".  The version I saw was the exact running time of the original, so forked again. 

As long as we're on the subject (unless it belongs elsewhere), have any of you ever tried this hard to like a film?  What was the film?

On the plus side, with the digital release, I now get to savor this shot of me hiding during a take.

jenkins

had you read eward's description of the additional material? it's familiar for people who have seen it at new bev, and disconnected to the narrative as you now know

i have never tried to like a movie. i have rewatched movies hoping to discover another perspective. i think it's three times i've watched Looper, which movie i consider a load of horseshit each time

WorldForgot

Quote from: wilberfan on November 27, 2019, 11:47:11 AM
As long as we're on the subject (unless it belongs elsewhere), have any of you ever tried this hard to like a film?  What was the film?

Frailty (2001), which I've watched twice after I fell asleep the first time. Still don't remember, like, any of it. But my father and some horrorheads I know dig it, and it's nearly southern-gothic so... I already intend on trying again...

Alethia

I watched that for the first time not too long ago I think after Bill Paxton died because I'd heard for years how good it was and I must say...no sir, I didn't like it.

Alexandro

I gave this two shots (so far). The first time I was truly underwhelmed for reasons other have exposed here before me. Mainly, I felt the film dragged and never really took off. Scenes were good by themselves, some of them great, but the energy kept escaping because everything was taking forever. DiCaprio en Pitt are terrific, the film has some great sequences, a lot to chew on, but I was impatient during most of it.

Still, I went back a week later, this time to an IMAX screening, and sure enough, I quickly realized that on that first showing I had been scammed. There was NO VOLUME at my first screening. At least the speakers weren't properly calibrated. Weird that I didn't notice, as I tend to be that asshole who gets up 20 seconds into the movie to tell an employee to crank the volume up. But  this time, I guess it was loud enough but not correctly so. With the IMAX, I could feel the movie I was really supposed to see all along, and everything was way better.  But still...

Spoiler: ShowHide
 ... around the first sequence of DiCaprio acting within the tv show things started to drag again. I don't understand why that sequence takes so long. I mean the fictional scene, before he forgets his lines. It just goes on and on for no good reason.

I'll give it a third go soon, and hopefully I will see the perfect masterpiece everyone else is, although I've had the same feeling of unnecessary dragging on from Tarantino's films ever since Django Unchained.